Forums Latest Members
  1. luzer Oct 21, 2014

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2014

Moved this into its own thread out of eBay recommended. Has quite a few issues ranging from Ts on the dial to the hands.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 21, 2014

It made me unwell to look at this. - Because when I first started looking at vintage speedmasters I bought a fabulous 105.002.....except it wasn't, and each time I learned a little about the dials, the bezels, the hands and so on, I discovered that each part of my watch was wrong. And so it is here:

Just about everything on this watch except the case and movement is ever so slightly wrong....

Bezel is slightly later design, but it is also one with "fuzzy font" - i don't know if these are original or not, but I don't care, I don't like them.
    Dial is a rather tired one from a 105.003
    Handset looks wrong. I suspect the H/M ones are replacement, the minute hand not quite reaching the outer track - I have seen this on watches said to be original but again, I don't like it.
    The spear second hand I have not seen in this reference, until later. Never in a -1
    Pushers are the wrong size.
    Crystal lacks the silver rehaut.

All this points to an assembled or poorly refurbished watch of which I could only value for parts.
    If I was to take this on as a project starting point the only things I could keep are the case and the movement.

These watches have their place in the market, but they have to be valued at the right level.

Were someone to buy this hoping to have a nice 2998-1 then gradually they would realize almost all the important parts are either missing, or poor examples of parts that make this reference special.

richardew, Davidt, Darlinboy and 6 others like this.
  4. François Boucher Oct 21, 2014

Thanks you Spacefruit, for an excellent analysis…

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2014

Too much for too little.

6. JohnSteed Oct 21, 2014

A $1 offer may not be justified, but seller's attemp to actually sell this particular 2998-1 !!! is bewildering.

7. RCAFBuster Oct 21, 2014

I admire the expertise on this forum to pick apart the watches. it is very informative and educational. Thanks.

8. bill5959 Oct 21, 2014

He also has this for sale. Our Heuer experts may have fun with it. Regards, Bill

9. mozambique Oct 21, 2014

Great summary SF. Shame there is no way to notify potential bidders in advance