Forums Latest Members
  1. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

This sold yesterday at a UK auction (Ash/Trev, I can't get the pics on here but it would be good to get them into the thread if possible):

http://www.fellows.co.uk/1275-lot-1...aperfilter=0&threesixty=0&vhigh=38000&vlow=50

On an estimate of £2500-3500, it actually sold for £6100 (hammer price).

So - to kick off the dissection of somebody's new pride and joy, I'd say it has wrong bezel, a replacement chrono minute hand and a chrono second hand from a 2998.

And I can't begin to find the right comment about screwdriver Harry's "inscription" on the back. Sometimes, words really are inadequate...
    ::facepalm1::

Any other thoughts from the gang ?

2915-2.jpg

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

Correct dial, other hands look correct. Movement number in the correct range for the case reference. Inscription is tragic but overall, not a bad buy for the price. What would be the final price including buyer's premium and VAT in USD?

3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

The VAT would be part of the gross price I think.

Assuming a 20% buyers premium, then the cost to buyer would be £7,320 / $11,600.

4. Elroy Jan 22, 2013

I would have paid that.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

As would I.

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

I haven't been tracking any models before 105.003, so can't comment on the price.

But the simple discrepancy between the guide price and hammer price says the auction house underestimated this one. All of their other Omega estimates were pretty accurate predictions.

I wonder if the carvings on the back had a part to play.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

There's a pattern of severe underestimates of collector grade Omega watches recently at Christies and other houses as well. I'm wondering if part of it is that pricing for Omegas is moving too quickly at the moment for them to establish a solid baseline?

8. ulackfocus Jan 22, 2013

VERY possible. A couple of us have recently wondered if we're bidding at 2011 prices, causing us to miss out on some nice watches.

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

I'm still trying to buy at 2009 prices personally ;)

I think it's also possible that these watches are deliberately undervalued to expand the base of bidders as much as possible.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

I mentioned it once in one of my longer more sprawling posts somewhere but I tend to look at eBay listings in particular with the attitude, if this is a perfect, clean ideal example of a valuable piece, what is it worth 18 months to 2 years from now, and bid accordingly. I'll definitely be keeping it that length of time if its a quality piece, and buying it at that time could cost me more, so it makes sense when "going long" on Omega.

11. Elroy Jan 22, 2013

There is no question that buying the best you can afford is the best rule with collectibles, but when an item becomes as scarce as the 2915-1, -2, and even the -3, lesser examples become excellent investments, too. I suspect even examples with several incorrect parts will continue to go up sharply in value, and if purchased for reasonable prices, will be safe places to stash your tumbling currency. Consider how much simpler it would be to find a nice Paul Newman Daytona than to find a 2915-1 in ANY condition. I think I veered off the path, somewhat. As for Christies, I suspect the engraving played big role in the valuing of the watch. That caseback is a rather valuable item.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

I'm one of those people that firmly believes Paul Newman Daytonas are dramatically overpriced, considering how common they are and considering the whole "Texan dial" debacle where so many people found out their expensive PN's were high quality forgeries.

At any given time there are anywhere from 150-300 PNs for sale on the open market between VRF, chrono24, Ebay and private sellers. Compare that to 2915s and its night and day.

Even the regular Daytona, IMO is dramatically overpriced for what it is.

And this is coming from a guy who wears a Rolex Daytona 80% of the time.

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 22, 2013

It's curious to me but from what I've seen the -2 is the most plentiful and the -3 is the hardest to locate even harder than the -1. Of course the -1 is more valuable but I think since the -3 was a transition model (virtually identical to the 2998-1 aside of course from having an earlier serial number for the cal. 321 movement) it was made if pretty small numbers.

14. Wheels Jan 24, 2013

I have nothing meaningful to add other than......Best Caseback Engraving.....EVER!!