Speedmaster 1963 - help

View attachment 1743461 View attachment 1743462 View attachment 1743463 View attachment 1743464 View attachment 1743461 Hi,

I am looking for some advice about a watch I have.

Its a 1963 Omega Speedmaster 105003.

It is on its original bracelet 7912/6 and has its box and some paperwork such as the receipt from the jewellers in the 60's, an insurance certificate, omega service receipt and omega gurantee.

It has the number 13 engraved on the back of the case. It looks to me to be very similar to the one on this link. Currently a website called chronohunter have said they would list it for £7800. But im having doubts about its true value and wondering if it has a rare dial.

Any advice or questions would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/om...30189011.htm?searchHash=ef3a0bdb_HYUUZF&pos=1
Edited:

It doesn't. That is the standard black dial. The grey and blue grey soleil dials are very different to that. Is the warranty card or receipt dated? I'd expect sometime in 1964 for that iteration, I'm just curious.

It doesn't. That is the standard black dial. The grey and blue grey soleil dials are very different to that. Is the warranty card dated? I'd expect sometime in 1964 for that iteration.
Hi, thanks for that. The warranty card isnt dated. But the serial number is 20522176 which i think is 1963. It was my grandads, hes passed recently so cant ask him anything about it unfortunately.

Hi, thanks for that. The warranty card isnt dated. But the serial number is 20522176 which i think is 1963. It was my grandads, hes passed recently so cant ask him anything about it unfortunately.
Should be around 08 '64.

upload_2024-2-21_14-28-42.png

Should be around 08 '64.

upload_2024-2-21_14-28-42.png
Thank you for that, would you know the best way to get this appraised and if the family wants to then maybe sold? It looks to be in great condition, very few marks or scratches. The estimate off chronohunter is £7800 but thats based off the photos i have uploaded here. Im wary about posting it off etc. Appreciate the time in helping me.

First thing you need to do really is get a professional to take off the back and take pics of both the inside of the caseback and movement. A buyer may be prepared to go higher than the figure you have been given, but probably not without confirmation that the right parts are present and match. As it is, you are asking someone to take a big leap of faith. It does look very nice at face value though I admit! If it all matches, you'll be in a stronger position than now.

Excellent thank you. I will try and research some experts in my area. North west england if you know any? Thank you.

Thank you for that, would you know the best way to get this appraised and if the family wants to then maybe sold? It looks to be in great condition, very few marks or scratches. The estimate off chronohunter is £7800 but thats based off the photos i have uploaded here. Im wary about posting it off etc. Appreciate the time in helping me.

£7800 is best part of $10K so on the Speedmaster101 scale that would be rated as "good". Whilst it looks a nice example I'm not sure someone would pay more without seeing better photos and movement shots etc and then being able to make a more informed decision regarding original parts etc.

£7800 is best part of $10K so on the Speedmaster101 scale that would be rated as "good". Whilst it looks a nice example I'm not sure someone would pay more without seeing better photos and movement shots etc and then being able to make a more informed decision regarding original parts etc.
Thank you, the £7800 was based on the broker holding the funds, whilst I sent the watch to the buyer for inspection. Then if the buyer was happy the broker releases the money minus their fee. So the buyer gets the oppurtunity to reject the watch and get the funds back from the broker. But they also may end up rating the watch as excellent, confirm all parts etc and keep the watch, and we would get the agreed £7800. So after talking to people here and getting some sound advice, I am now thinking I would be better getting it independantly appraised and verified etc.

An appraisal is fine, if you can find someone whose opinion has any value, but ultimately that's just an arbitrary number. If you post comprehensive photos here, you will also get numbers from experts. But what you need is a way to sell the watch, so you might as well start thinking about that. Consigning with or selling to a dealer, listing in an auction, private sale (in-person or online) ... all have their pros and cons and we don't know your comfort level or experience with selling collectible items.

You may get some offers through PM as well. There are many established collectors on the site, but there are also other people lurking about, so be careful. Since you have a family piece, it would be worth contacting @Spacefruit (William). I believe that he spends some of his time in England.

An appraisal is fine, if you can find someone whose opinion has any value, but ultimately that's just an arbitrary number. If you post comprehensive photos here, you will also get numbers from experts. But what you need is a way to sell the watch, so you might as well start thinking about that. Consigning with or selling to a dealer, listing in an auction, private sale (in-person or online) ... all have their pros and cons and we don't know your comfort level or experience with selling collectible items.

You may get some offers through PM as well. There are many established collectors on the site, but there are also other people lurking about, so be careful. Since you have a family piece, it would be worth contacting @Spacefruit (William). I believe that he spends some of his time in England.
Thank you for the info, I have no experience at all selling collectibles so all this info really is amazing help, I will get some better photos tonight after work and update this thread. Really do appreciate the help.

Thank you for the info, I have no experience at all selling collectibles so all this info really is amazing help, I will get some better photos tonight after work and update this thread. Really do appreciate the help.

When you take pics, make sure they’re in indirect natural light, which means during the daylight close to a window but not in direct sunlight. This will enable potentially interested parties to judge the condition as best as possible.

Reading back through this thread, I'm noticing some things that might make members a bit suspicious. So if this story is legit and you're truly looking for help, I'd suggest trying to be as upfront and transparent as possible with the information you provide. As I mentioned, there are many experienced collectors here, and they have very well-developed BS-detectors.

Just a normal Speedmaster. No Gold mine. With these pictures nobody will buy it . If you need to maximise your profit, a better effort is needed. So far it is not even clear, if the movement is ok ... You come very close to a sales advertisement now. Which is something, this collectors forum should not facilitate .

Just a normal Speedmaster. No Gold mine. With these pictures nobody will buy it . If you need to maximise your profit, a better effort is needed. So far it is not even clear, if the movement is ok ... You come very close to a sales advertisement now. Which is something, this collectors forum should not facilitate .
Hi, thanks for the comments. I took the photos the other day, but as I have said above I will take some better ones tonight after work as I am new to this forum, I do appreciate everyones help. taking into account the comment above yours also about trasparency, I will explain more:

My grandad, my mams Dad passed away a couple of weeks ago. One of his posessions was this watch. There is a guarantee booklet, but this doesnt have a date in it.

There is a receipt from omega world serivce for a "complete overhaul" its worded as. This is dated 1968.

The serial number isnt visible on the watch, from my research i think its inside the movement, but the service receipt has the serial number, so I checked the serial number online and it said 1963. But then a watch broker said 1968. So this left me confused as to the truth and I cant obviously ask my Grandad.

The watch currently isnt moving, but I havent touched it to try and operate it. I have enquired with a watchmaker about a service who have said it needs to go to Switzerland for Omega to do. Apparently their lead time is 1 year and a minimum of £1000.

It looks to be in excellent condition. Hardly a scratch on it.

I have spent considerable time trying to research. But in all honesty I am no expert by any means and get so much conflicting information. I then came accross this forum. So thought, if I joined I might be able to ask some geunine collectors and enthusiasts for some help. Ideally I dont want to sell this watch. Its stunning, and is 60 years old. But if my side of the family are to keep it I need to know what its worth to be able to offer the other side of the family money to but their share of it if that makes sense.

I have been nothing but polite and appreciative of the help recieved so far as I have learnt more today than I have in over a week of tryong to do my own research, but if I am going agaisnt the ethos of this forum then I will accept that, remove my thread and try and continue my own research.

I finish work at 1600 so will get some better photos on in the next hour.

Thanks
Edited:

If you want to sel it, don’t send it to Omega or anyone, just sell it as is.
I’d say in the UK £7800 might be a little light but it’s hard to tell from your photos.
I’d also be wary of putting too much faith in an appraisal. There are very, very few people who could accurately appraise this watch and most of them are members of this forum. A written appraisal by a vintage jeweller or even watch dealer will likely not be worth the paper it’s written on.
The actual value is what a buyer is willing to pay for it and how good of a seller you are. E.g. can you ship internationally, can you take high quality photos etc. The more work a buyer has to do, the less they’ll be willing to pay. Equally if you sell to a dealer, they’ll need to take their margin so won’t pay you as much.

I'd expect sometime in 1964 for that iteration
But the serial number is 20522176 which i think is 1963
Should be around 08 '64

I see the OP has added several additional photos. The bracelet is stamped Qtr 1 1965 so assuming it is original to the watch then I guess it was no earlier than that date