Forums Latest Members
  1. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

Hello,

After I started with Seamasters and then Constellations, I am considering to buy a Speedmaster. I prefer a 145.022 or 145.012 and have read several articles and also bought the book Moonwatch Only. Still I am not sure how to recognize if some parts have been replaced during later services and if the case is polished or not.

What do you think about this one?

Thanks, Roger

c.jpg f.jpg g.jpg k.jpg m.jpg
  2. Dan S Feb 10, 2020

Yes, the case has been polished, and the brushing probably refinished on the sides. The crown is likely a service part. It's a bit hard to see, but I think I can see a step on the dial, so that's correct. What does MWO say about the correct serial number range for the straight writing case-back?

Not sure about the bracelet, maybe aftermarket or weirdly refinished. End-links definitely not Omega.

airansun likes this.
  3. Capt Cave Man Feb 10, 2020

145.022-69 ST Straight Writing, this is next on my list ::love::

A newbie myself still but are the bracelet end links origional? I only ask as I cannot see the numbers.

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 10, 2020

Spend some time and recognize an expert you admire, there are many!
    Politely ask opinions and respect the advice.

I have done well obtaining the castoff, culled pieces from the world class, museum quality collectors.

Capt Cave Man and Jonathan40 like this.
  5. airansun In the shuffling madness Feb 10, 2020

What @Dan S said. MWO says these go to 32.857.xxx.

Plus, the lume colors are all different, which is disconcerting. The hands don’t come close to the dial (which almost looks like the lume has been scraped off) and even the sweep second hand seems a different color than the hour and minute hands.

2C95CCCE-3A4E-4B33-A6C5-F3E2E83B49EC.jpeg

Other than these things, it looks pretty nice.

Dan S likes this.
  6. Sturmvogel Feb 10, 2020

Thank you very much all. Buying a nice and original Speedmaster 145.022 seems like a minefield. Thank you so much for sharing your expert knowledge. I know how long it must have taken you to learn all this from carefully comparing hundreds of watches. I still hope a nice one shows up one day (and preferrably even complete with box/papers even if that means to pay a premium). Until then I need to learn from you and by my own observations. ::book::

UncleBuck likes this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Feb 10, 2020

The day after you take a flyer!
    You will learn two things reign supreme,,,,,
    patience and knowledge.

8. airansun In the shuffling madness Feb 10, 2020

Much easier to assess some else’s find, because it’s easy to be completely dispassionate about it.

When it’s your own nice find, you have to struggle against being swept away by the excitement of it.

Someone else’s grail in my hands, I’m steady. My own grail in my hands, I might be trembling a little. ;)

At least, in my experience.

Als 27, UncleBuck and Dan S like this.