Forums Latest Members
  1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 24, 2019

I wouldn’t, hence the need for serial and CB.

2. CoDiffe Mar 24, 2019

Great point and to be honest I’m not sure of exactly what I want. I mean, money aside an actual 321 movement 105.012 but I think some sort of 145.022 would be a good compromise with prices still somewhat reasonable. I think I would prefer a more minty later tritium example than a beat up pre moon though if those were my choices.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  3. WYO_Watch Mar 24, 2019

That’s really the first step. I think you’re right on track (balancing $ and vintage appeal) looking for a nice tritium piece. Is it an AML or straight lug, no - but I think there is a lot of value in those models.

4. CoDiffe Mar 24, 2019

Do many go for sale here on the forums? Is there a best place to look?

5. OMEGuy Mar 24, 2019

Yes. It's always good to know the details before you form a final opinion.

6. CoDiffe Mar 24, 2019

So I’ve got 2 Rolex watches from 1990. Both tritium and neither glow at all after charged. Is that normal?

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 24, 2019

Depends on the tritiums composition for the luminous compounds. Omegas from the 70’s-80’s holds a short 10-15 second charge. I’ve heard Rolex sometimes hold zero.

8. Bbturbo Mar 24, 2019

Yes, the comment re 70s/80s Rolex holding charge is accurate

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. swish77 Mar 24, 2019

Rolex and Omega used different mixtures. I’ve owned several late ‘60s Speedmasters with original tritium that still held a brief glow, and many sport model Rolexes from the ‘60s, ‘70s, and ‘80s with tritium that is either completely dead or with only a very faint brief glow. My current 6263 Daytona from about 1979 has tritium that seems dead, but sometimes in absolute darkness it has a very faint glow. Go figure.

CoDiffe likes this.
  10. WYO_Watch Mar 24, 2019

Yes and here.

Quite a few speedmasters get listed and sold here every month. You have the benefit of buying a piece that has some other eyes looking and a lot of sellers tend to be collector/hobbiest with more interest in being decent to another collector than getting rich.

*edit for link
    https://omegaforums.net/forums/private-watch-sales/
    (also our rules require asking prices to stay listed, so it is a decent database of asking prices)

11. g-boac Mar 24, 2019

Welcome! For quite a bit less than $4500, you can purchase a brand new speedmaster professional as the original owner - with boxes and papers (well, plastic cards) and a full warranty. This is a good entry point if you’d like a top condition speedmaster to enjoy worry-free and experience firsthand as you learn more about the vintage market.

A later model (say 1974 or 1977 thru 1990 145.022) vintage speedmaster is a good way to get into vintage. But if you really want a 321 then save and go for it!! In the meantime, consider that brand new Speedmaster as your starter and all-purpose everyday speedmaster.

Good luck!!

CoDiffe and FlyingSnoopy like this.
  12. wsfarrell Mar 25, 2019

That's a very attractive watch. It's trivial to refinish the bracelet so it looks great. The hands are nice, and if they are tritium, I'd try to get it for ~$4,200.

CoDiffe likes this.
  13. FlyingSnoopy Mar 25, 2019

Good advice!

14. CoDiffe Mar 25, 2019

So I actually had a Speedmaster (2005 model I believe) for about a year and a half. I liked it but always felt it was a bit too big for my wrist. I ended up selling it and buying a 1990 Rolex Polar Expl 2. I never regretted selling the speedy but when this one came up and I got to see it in person I kind of fell in love again. Didn’t seem too big for my wrist either. I think the dimensions are the same but the bracelet with the hollow end links sits much more flush to the wrist and doesn’t stick out beyond the ends of the lugs like the newer bracelets.

That being said, I think I’d rather go with something vintage if I do get back into it. However I do REALLY like the FOIS and would like to try one on in person. The smaller size, alpha hands, and AML being the most appealing aspects of it. Price is good too!

15. CoDiffe Mar 25, 2019

No bracelet though but I guess I could snag one possibly? Although I think it’s 19mm so may not work.

16. g-boac Mar 25, 2019

Yes you can - you'll find posts here with members having identified an omega bracelet and end links that will work with an FOIS. Unfortunately, there is no good way to change out the sapphire crystal for a hesalite one. However, for the price of an FOIS + original Omega bracelet, you can approach a magnificent 38.6mm Speedmaster 60th CK2915 reissue, which has all the touches including a hesalite crystal. Note that the straight lug case per Omega, it is 38.6mm, which is a bit more compact than the 42mm Speedmaster Professional, and might be perfectly to your liking.

You're right that the solid links on a modern Speedy give it a bit more wrist presence - but the watch was intended by design to be a larger tool watch, so don't be concerned that you're wearing a "big" watch - it is not audaciously big. . .it is sized just right for what it is!

CoDiffe likes this.
  17. CoDiffe Mar 25, 2019

So another question - how do I reply to someone's private watch sale listing? It says I have insufficient privileges to comment and I can't figure out how to message the person directly. I apologize if I'm overlooking something simple.

18. gdupree Mar 25, 2019

Click the seller's username, and then click send message.