Forums Latest Members
  1. Davidt Dec 9, 2014

Evening All

I decided to actively start looking for a straight lug Speedy a few months ago and decided upon a 105.003.

I posted a WTB ad here and pretty much every evening spent a bit of time searching eBay, other forums, chrono24, watchrecon, the usual.

I had a couple of replys which came to nothing and had a few emails here and there but no cigar.

Then I received an email from a gentleman who by coincidence happened to live in the northern UK. He bought a 105.003-65 brand new, used it for some time and at some point it was relegated to the proverbial sock drawer. We exchanged several emails, he sent quite a few pictures and we negotiated a price. Well today we met up and right now I have it in my hand.

It looks wonderful in person. It was used by it's only owner as a tool watch should be, and so it has a bit of wear. The bezel is pretty dinged up and the crystal is knacked but the dial is nice with no loss of lume and the case is unpolished with the original facets still present. Furthermore, it has never been serviced and is completely original, down to the crown, pushers and bracelet.

I'll keep it for a day or so before sending it off to SwissTech for a full 321 service.

I've attached a few pics for now but I only have my iPhone at the minute so they're far from the best.

Cheers

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Edited Dec 9, 2014
    lando, TNTwatch, Gavin and 8 others like this.
  2. Norfolk Dec 9, 2014

Looks a great find. Lucky you. On my list now..

3. ock2915 Dec 9, 2014

Nice find , congratulations

4. marturx Dec 9, 2014

Congrats David to that barn find!

Love the case and its wearmarks, and its original finish!

What about the back, is the Hippocampus intact? Scratches?

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2014

That watch looks very familiar... It didn't happen to come from a gent in Cumbria did it ?

6. Davidt Dec 9, 2014

Thanks chaps. I'm assuming its bone dry inside so I'm not winding it until it comes back from a service. Still, I'm reluctant to let it go!

The caseback is very nice. The bevel is sharp, hippocampus is present but faded slightly and if you look close there are some small, feint opening marks but nothing serious. As far as the original owner could remember, he only had it opened once and that was in feb this year to get the movement no for the extract.

7. Davidt Dec 9, 2014

It did indeed.

8. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 9, 2014

I wondered why I hadn't heard from him recently ;)

JohnSteed and dennisthemenace like this.
  9. JohnSteed Dec 9, 2014

Great snag David!! Been waiting to see :thumbsup:

I'll be coming back to this. Great to see the fruit of some great detective work!! Congrats!!!!!

10. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 9, 2014

that's great really nice!

11. Tinggle Dec 10, 2014

Wow!!!

12. esspee1200 Dec 12, 2014

Great find mate!

13. RCAFBuster Dec 12, 2014

I'm waiting for the day that I get a find like this, a one owner watch.

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 13, 2014

This watch actually appeared on the forum over a year ago in one of those what is it worth threads. The seller is an occasional member here and did agree a sale but more recently offered it in response to a WTB ad that was posted on the forum.

It is a nice example but not a stereotypical trail of breadcrumbs find ;)

15. jud Dec 13, 2014

Moral of the story is, when they ask how much it's worth, make an offer.

16. Davidt Dec 13, 2014

I should say here that I had no idea another person has been in discussions with the seller and I didn't make the initial contact. As far as I knew I was the only person looking to buy it.

17. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 13, 2014

Should say I'm very pleased for David's acquisition & it's a nice watch worthy of collecting.

Sorry if any of my irritation with the seller has leaked out, I came out of hospital yesterday after an operation on my collarbone so I may be a bit off colour. I don't mean to detract from David's enjoyment at all.

18. Davidt Dec 13, 2014

Thanks Warren.

I know that feeling as well. I had an op to put a metal plate in my hand about 18 months ago (you can see the scar on some of my wruw shots) and the first couple of days weren't overly comfortable. It did seem to improve extremely quickly after around 48 hours though so hope it's not too bad.

19. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 13, 2014

Thanks David. It's my first time with metal in me & reassuring to know that feeling will go soon. Yesterday was pretty horrible, today is a lot better as long as I don't move much !

20. lando Dec 13, 2014

Very nice watch indeed. Congratulations! And DIBS...

Davidt likes this.