Speaking of classic cars, I need suggestions...

I didn't want to hijack the prior thread on classic cars, so I'll start my own. Here's my situation:

A few months ago, I sold my 2016 Mercedes E-350 and bought a proper family car - a 2022 Volvo XC90.
The change was needed because our 2004 Acura MDX was showing its age and my wife and daughter didn't like going out in the Mercedes because they found it uncomfortable (it was lowered so stiff suspension, it scraped on speed bumps, dogs didn't fit, etc.)

The XC90 is now my daily driver but as comfortable as it is, I miss the experience of driving a sporty, one-person "fun" car to zip around in. It would be a daily driver.

I'm a professional (an attorney, to be precise) so it needs to something a client can get into without feeling I drive a jalopy, so something a little vintage & yet classy.

I'm entertaining the idea of a 60's American muscle car, 1970's BMW 2002, a 1980's BMW 325i or Mercedes 560SL or something along those lines. I'm also thinking a 1975 or older car that is smog exempt in California, so I can customize the engine to my liking.

I'm setting a budget of $10K to find something that does not need major restoration investment and serves as a daily driver out the gate.

I'd like to hear your suggestions and ideas of what car can be my new vintage project.

(Here's a pic of my W212 that I sorely miss):

Of that list I've only driven a BMW 2002. OK I actually drove a 1600, but that glasshouse with the thin pillars is so different to modern cars. Just don't crash and roll it over, right? I have no idea about prices but a finger in the wind suggests that a decent 2002 may be outside your budget. Well honestly anything on your list that isn't a future money-pit will be too.

Only other BMW I've driven was a 1980s 320i on winter tyres and studs on a frozen lake in New Hampshire.

+ 2002 or 320i, well supported aftermarket, simple enough to work on yourself if you like.

I've had some 60s mustangs and a 1970 240z over the years. I think with 10k you may be hard-pressed to find a muscle car from that era you'd be comfortable taking a client in. I had a 10 year old 2000 M roadster which was probably my favorite driving car - but any of those late 90s and early 2000s Z3s might be a nice fit.

I was gonna say get a Miata and hit the skid pad but then I got to all these fancy requirements. 😁

I was gonna say get a Miata and hit the skid pad but then I got to all these fancy requirements. 😁
YES! Sweet cars - especially the Mazdaspeed miatas.

...I have no idea about prices but a finger in the wind suggests that a decent 2002 may be outside your budget. Well honestly anything on your list that isn't a future money-pit will be too.

I have enough experience and thus psychologically prepared to deal with the fact that any car outside of the manufacturer's warranty and especially as old as what I want is going to be a money pit, lol

A 2002 around $10K is definitely going to be a fixer-upper. I've always wanted one, but I'm not sure if it's the right car for me right now. I'm still mulling it over.

+ 2002 or 320i, well supported aftermarket, simple enough to work on yourself if you like.

I'm also throwing the 635CSI into the mix, but that would require I put more skin into the game

YES! Sweet cars - especially the Mazdaspeed miatas.

It's too chic and feminine to me.. but good suggestion - keep them coming please

10k in California?

I have owned a 2002, and it was a very enjoyable car, but they are not affordable any longer.

60s American iron is not going to be had at your price point either. At least not something that you'd want to have a client in.

For your budget I would be looking at something like a Mercedes W116. They are nice cars and usually under appreciated.

10k in California?

I have owned a 2002, and it was a very enjoyable car, but they are not affordable any longer.

60s American iron is not going to be had at your price point either. At least not something that you'd want to have a client in.

For your budget I would be looking at something like a Mercedes W116. They are nice cars and usually under appreciated.

Yeah, $10K in California is a pretty small budget but I'm seeing it more as a functional project car (that I'm sure will eventually gobble up way more than $10K). But the grapevine is saying that car prices are falling fast - we'll see.

I agree with your comment regarding American iron. Even at the right price, it's probably not the type of car to suit my needs (except perhaps a Corvair or something similarly eccentric).

I'm leaning more towards a 1070s/1980s Mercedes hard-top convertible as the classiest within my target budget - my daughter is pushing hard towards convertible but I haven't made up my mind yet.

Anyone have experience with others brands such as MG, Jaguar, Volvo, etc.?

I
I'm a professional (an attorney, to be precise) so it needs to something a client can get into without feeling I drive a jalopy, so something a little vintage & yet classy.
I may have told this this story before, so apologies if I have. Our software company was entertaining some visitors from Germany, I do not remember if we wanted to sell something to them or they wanted to sell to us. Anyway my boss, who I'd worked for in two previous businesses, thought that in order to impress them we could take them to lunch in my new Lotus rather than his reasonably roomy Audi 2000 saloon. He thought he had been OK at at bit over 6 feet tall in the back of my car and pressed our visitors into there. They were a touch taller and I could see in the interior mirror that they they were not too much impressed. But I had ridden in the back of an early Porsche 912 years before, and even at my shorter height and years younger was very squashed.

Moral: Make sure you can fit in at least two big clients....
Edited:

It's getting more difficult, but I bet you could find a decently clean E30 within your budget.
A 'vert would be cool!

_img900.jpg

But check out this website for some ideas:
https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/
I check their inventory (for literally no reason) every month or so.

b
I may have told this this story before, so apologies if I have. Our software company was entertaining some visitors from Germany, I do not remember if we wanted to sell something to them or they wanted to sell to us. Anyway my boss, who I'd worked for in two previous businesses, thought that in order to impress them we could take them to lunch in my new Lotus rather than his reasonably roomy Audi 2000 saloon. He thought he had been OK at at bit over 6 feet tall in the back of my car and pressed our visitors into there. They were a touch taller and I could see in the interior mirror that they they were not too much impressed. But I had ridden in the back of an early Porsche 912 years before, and even at my shorter height and years younger was very squashed.

Moral: Make sure you can fit in at least two big clients....

I had not read your story before, so thanks for sharing. I will definitely keep this in mind! I have the XC90 for these situations when they're planned, but you never know. I've had my fair share of situations when I meet a client at the office ahead of their court hearing and when it's time to go, they'll say "can I ride with you?" So another related thing to keep in mind is to keep the car clean and clutter-free, haha.

I'm also throwing the 635CSI into the mix, but that would require I put more skin into the game
Well I sure would like one too. But

I'm sure you know the buts.

In one cash-starved start-up I worked for our CFO had a 635 purchased while working in more successful businesses. He just couldn't give it up despite the drain on his finances. What kept the 635 on the road that he had a wife working in a job that was not subject to the boom and bust of the computer software business.

Now there's a thought. If you want to drive money-pits have a spouse with a steady job and no interest in cars.

Or watches.