Forums Latest Members

Space Compax: How Many Versions?

1. Noodia Feb 23, 2013

@ Ludi
    I should add I wouldn't be the proud owner of mine without your friendly help, one of my nicest collector memory !

@ Lou
    it was easy to confirm based on this photo
    my actual SC but photo from the seller to make things clear

@ Stefan
    VERY nice SC, congratulations !

Old and Vintage likes this.
  2. Ludi Feb 23, 2013

No need to mention that Laurent, your true friendship in return is the best reward I could have beg for ;)

Chrobar likes this.
  3. Diabolik Dec 23, 2013

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

5. Old and Vintage Feb 6, 2015

[​IMG]

Hello to all, if the image is correct in this brochure my space compax have the correct sub second hands? Because i was thinking they were not the correct ones and i didnt had information to confirm that....can somebody help me with this?

THIS IS MY SPACEY :) DSC_0255.JPG

Thank you and have a nice weekend.
    Francisco

6. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Feb 7, 2015

The hands look correct to me.

7. Old and Vintage Feb 8, 2015

If some bodyhelp me i apritiate! :)
    I just have the marks inside my case back because last owner polish and the serial number in the case back desapear...is that a very bad thing? PA080310.JPG

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 8, 2015

No. It is nicer to have the numbers, but Universal engraved them very lightly on the later watches like the Space Compax, so it only takes a little polish to make them disappear. There are many examples with missing numbers - I would not count that as a major sin.

9. Fost Dec 25, 2017

Sorry to bump, I was wondering if all the gen 1 dial had the lume dot? If lume dot are missing does it mean is it wash out or can it be a later service dial? ( Swiss T dial)

10. HeuerLoon Dec 25, 2017

First gen can be lume dot only or full lume which is lume on the rectangular indexes with lume dots on the edges. Both versions are pictured in page 1 of this thread. As for service dial, I think there is no conclusive evidence of what is or is not a service dial. Happy to be corrected on this point

Mazoue and Fost like this.
  11. Gopher Jan 24, 2022

I am bumping this to ask about the chrono seconds hand. This has not been discussed yet. Here is what I know:

1. Space Compax is known to have the large chrono seconds hand that extends over the Hours subregister as shown in this thread
    2. Other Compax models typically came with the smaller chrono seconds hand
    3. A few other Compax models did come with the larger Space Compax-style chrono seconds hand. I have an Evil Nina configured just this way. It is all-original and in mint condition otherwise including proper serial # and UG-signed crystal, so I have no reason to suspect it was changed. See photo.

Evil Nina Dial Close-Up.jpg

So my question is this: Do we think it possible some Space Compax examples came from the factory with smaller chrono seconds hands? I had thought not but have come across at least two examples just this way in my latest research. See photo.

Space Dial Small Hand.jpg

What do you think?

12. Mazoue Jun 19, 2023

Reference material on the Space Compax we came across whilst researching the Polerouter for our book.

Extract from the 1969 retail catalogue.

066-2.jpeg

Gopher, bgrisso, Woops and 1 other person like this.
  13. Woops Jun 19, 2023

Fantastic stuff :thumbsup:

Cool to see both configurations marketed side by side. Ditto 885104/02 depicted with white rubber pusher caps! :eek:

Mazoue likes this.