Forums Latest Members
  1. davidswiss Feb 17, 2016

2. ibis888 Feb 17, 2016

The estimates were quite reasonable for the Christie's auction as well!

We know how that turned out...

What's the story with the "MkII" on the 145.022-69?

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 17, 2016

4. ibis888 Feb 17, 2016

Nice write-up, as always!

The MkII dial certainly diminishes the value for me... almost the entire reason I find early 145.022s appealing are for the stepped dials.

5. aly Feb 17, 2016

Bonhams more priced to my wallet

6. abrod520 Feb 17, 2016

Couple things I would like to (very humbly!) add to your (excellent) post sir - one, the Sotheby's watch has a 220 bezel. Not sure what premium over a regular DN90 these are fetching these days, but a 30.5M movement is close enough to the correct range for this, so I think it might add value.

Two, the $2650 watch that sold, for reference, was a 145.022-76 Moonwatch, which was right in line with what those seem to be bringing nowadays. If this Sotherby's watch has a pre-moon caseback, it'll bring a premium over that one for sure.

(Further, and possibly stupid question: Why the hell won't auction houses post more photos than just one low-res head-on dial photo? In this internet age, I can't imagine I'd want to purchase from an auction house unless I was local to the sale, and could view the preview in person)

7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 17, 2016

True, it is a stamped back - there were few -69's sold last month. Last November / December had a few but with things moving I wanted to have a recent sale.

Here is one but it looks a bit rough - although that is how to buy them, with the ugliness showing. The service fixes most things (including the hands):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/omega-speedmaster-professional-145-022-69-st-cal-861-145022-/272083851477?hash=item3f597618d5:g:c3YAAOSwhkRWcAu9&nma=true&si=ZJZA1f2medQfiNnfZP8Fz8hPzr8%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    It needed a full service - after which I think it will be good, especially as it had a DO90 - At $3000 plus a service it might have turned out OK, and then it would reach the estimate of the sothebys watch.

As to the 220 bezel, I dont think they will ever command much premium. While they are amusing, they fit such a narrow range of watches I don't think there is the competition for them. Lets see, the market may prove my theory wrong on that.

gminnj likes this.
  8. abrod520 Feb 17, 2016

You're probably right about the bezels themselves, because as you say the serial range is very narrow - but complete -69s in the correct serial range with 220s I think will bring decent premiums over standard DN90 -69s, because I suspect there are probably more (and increasing!) Speedmaster collectors who would like to add a 220 Speedmaster to their collection, than are 220 Speedmasters.... The last couple I've seen have been snapped up extremely quickly, on the high side for a DN90 -69 - especially those with bezels in good condition.

9. Davidt Feb 17, 2016

Personally I wouldn't pay a penny more for a correct 220 bezel watch over the standard one.

Flaws that lead to aesthetic differences such as a briwn dial, or faded grey bezel I completely understand and agree with.

The 220 bezel just makes the watch less useable and offers no aesthetic improvement.

I don't get the interest in them.

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 17, 2016

2 comments:

As it stands the 220 bezel is a peculiarity in search of a market.

And estimates for these auctions as we've discussed in the forum before are more the "minimum" price rather than the expected one. They've given the word "estimate" a new definition.

11. abrod520 Feb 17, 2016

To me, it's a fun little detail, elevating what would normally be just any old pre-moon 145.022-69 to something a little more special. I'm not saying they'll ever carry a premium over watches with DO90 bezels - those are more valuable to people who want them for their 321s. However, it's only the really in-the-weeds Speedmaster nerds who recognize a 220, and it's more fun to wear on the wrist than a straight-writing....

Besides, I don't spend a lot of time at 200mph, and when I do, it's never up to me to calculate my speed ;)

red crowned, Giff2577 and Bienne2998 like this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 17, 2016

Made me laugh.
    Because while nodding sagely in agreement, I suddenly thought, just when was the last time I used that chronograph, to the 200 mark on the Tachymetre?

Paedipod likes this.
  13. Speedmasterfan88 Feb 17, 2016

(Further, and possibly stupid question: Why the hell won't auction houses post more photos than just one low-res head-on dial photo? In this internet age, I can't imagine I'd want to purchase from an auction house unless I was local to the sale, and could view the preview in person)

To answer this question, most auction houses release a printed catalogue way bevore the auction that you can purchase from them or if you are a regular at their auctions and they now that you purchased something from them on a past auction they will send it to you for free. At least this is the norm with vintage car auction houses. The catalogue has more detailed pictures and information on the lot. Often times a two or there Page writeup for the more valuable lots.Take this one for example from the last coys auction at the IAA in Frankfurt :
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

davidswiss likes this.
  14. Pahawi Feb 17, 2016

Factory errors on stamps and coins often increase the value - can't see why it could not happen to the -69 220's

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 17, 2016

Because the bezel is only correct on a very small serial group.

Now the compete watch, with a matching serial and 220 bezel, that may well exite future interest, but up until now I have been talking about the value of the bezel alone being on a par with a good DN90.

16. tjoy89 Feb 17, 2016

17. Davidt Feb 18, 2016

Ha very true.

Still, to me it's an error that detracts from the intended use of a tool watch for little/no improvement.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy one. Just that they're completely on par with other pre moon, DNN '69's, if condition is equal.

18. davidswiss Feb 18, 2016

In reply to the above. As well as the point made by speedmasterfan. you can also contact the auctioneers and ask for extra and more detailed pictures but I agree it is annoying when most auction houses rely heavily on bidding over the internet.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  19. tigertom Feb 26, 2016

I like the 220 bezels quite a lot, especially in combination with a dark chocolate dial and the straight writing caseback. Seems to be quite a rare find, as it is the first one that appeared with both, the transitional bezel AND the straight writing.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg