Forums Latest Members

"Sorry..Its original" , Longines

1. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 23, 2016

This is the response that I received when I inquired about the originality of the dial below. Now it may be original, but I feel that such an unusual dial deserves a little more discussion.
    001.JPG

Firstly, I am puzzled by the absence of an outer track. I do not recall encountering a luminous, center-seconds, Tre Tacche without an outer track. Why would Longines compromise functionality in this regard when other aspects of the watch are clearly designed for utility?

Secondly, the cross hairs look out of place. I am accustomed to seeing cross hairs on Longines dials from the mid-1930s, such as this.
    002.JPG

And on Longines dials from the early 1950s, such as this.
    003.JPG

Lastly, the condition of the dial is exceptional. Not only is the surface nearly spotless but the luminous material is a perfect example of the desirable "toasted almond" hue. In conjunction with the aforementioned oddities, I believe that this is highly convenient.

What do you think?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 23, 2016

Refinished. If the seller denies there is nothing you can do about that.

Modest_Proposal, Darlinboy and Vitezi like this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 23, 2016

It's a redial. However, most sellers think that if the slab of metal is still the same as the one that came out of the factory, then it qualifies as an "original dial". The paint doesn't count.

Mr.Cairo likes this.
  4. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 24, 2016

Thank you for the responses. The authenticity of the dial (or rather the paint) seemed fairly obvious but I wanted confirmation. The watch is not presently for sale though it is being flaunted by an adamant collector. The only justification that I can fathom involves the dreaded "P" word.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 24, 2016

Coming from Italy by any chance :cautious:

6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 24, 2016

Its origins are unknown but the collector who has it now is not Italian.