Forums Latest Members

Sometimes, it just isn’t meant to be

1. mydeafcat Dec 31, 2021

The Tudor GMT. It’s been understandably popular of late, notwithstanding the date wheel issue; my local ADs insist all new pieces are fine now. My fashionably late arrival to the GMT celebration is due to my finally embracing the divisive snowflake (it’s a goddam square :D).

All ADs in Western Canada are now completely sold out (in fact, there may only be only 1 or 2 left in the entire country, I was told). As of yesterday, the only two dealers that had stock (1 each) are close to my location in Vancouver, one only a 20 minute drive away. I jumped in my car once I learned one was available (on leather, which is fine…). I arrived yesterday, money in hand, only to see a fellow and his wife inspecting a tray of Tudor’s, including the GMT. He. Bought. Them. All.

5 minutes earlier and I’d not be boring you with this tale. That left one at the ADs affiliate on Vancouver Island. That means a ferry ride. A worthy day-trip adventure (even with Covid-19 numbers being sky high these days). Nevertheless, I called. Yay - they had it. Boo - they wouldn’t take a deposit to hold it for inspection, and would only transfer it to their local affiliate if I bought it first (no refund or exchange if anything was amiss, either). I asked for photos since I couldn’t actually inspect it. The sales guy was kind enough to text a couple of photos of the dial. I sent a reply asking about a spot/scratch on the bezel. Was it simply dust or a mark? He only answered that while he understands my concern, the watch is ‘otherwise in mint condition’ and to let him know if I wanted it. Caution to the wind, I immediately called to place the order. He wasn’t available so I left a message. He never called back. I called again. Nada. I called as soon as they opened this morning. Yup….it was sold.

Clearly this was not in the cards. Chalk it up to snoozing and losing.

On the upside, huge congratulations and kudos to @vbrad26 on his Academy Award-worthy Christmas performance, and whose enthusiasm I’ve desperately been trying to replicate.

Perhaps next year?

Edited Dec 31, 2021
    vbrad26, NGO1, KeithS and 5 others like this.
  2. bradurani Jan 1, 2022

"no refund or exchange if anything was amis".... On a new watch from an AD? Sketchy. Be patient, you'll get one. Tudor will make as many as they can sell, unlike Rolex

3. JwRosenthal Jan 1, 2022

It will happen my friend. It’s a new year and members here will be restless to shed their “sooo 2021” watches for new shiny booty. Post your WTB now, you never know….

DaveK, kip595, pdxleaf and 2 others like this.
  4. JwRosenthal Jan 1, 2022

…and relish in your Pretty woman moment when you walk back into that AD that wouldn’t return your calls or honor returns wearing your new Tudor

AC21CDAC-64D5-4D6A-AF3E-ED5FAC0C039F.gif

DaveK, Scarecrow Boat and mydeafcat like this.
  5. cchen Jan 1, 2022

try some other AD's? AFAIK these are readily available.... sitting in the cases here in the UK

Gav1967 and mydeafcat like this.
  6. mydeafcat Jan 1, 2022

I suspect the UK has a better supply than here. There are 3 Tudor AD's in Vancouver; one (Rodeo Jewellers) asked for a $2000 deposit just to be on their wait list. Seriously. Um, no.

The other two, one of which I mentioned earlier, have no stock at all. Both are affiliated with the one on Van. Island. There are a few GMTs on the Canadian secondary market, but for the minimal cost savings over new, I may as well get a brand new piece. No desk swirls, either. ;)

Edited Jan 1, 2022
  7. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jan 1, 2022

I’ve seen these go for less than £2k (in great condition) on eBay.

mydeafcat likes this.
  8. mydeafcat Jan 1, 2022

I'm not one to preen (much) or gloat, but yes, part of me can hardly frikken wait until I am over on Vancouver Island so I can trot in. While I want them to know they lost a customer, I also know they really won't give a rodent's rump. I'm no watch whale. Sadly, the market here is dominated by a money-is-no-object buyers' class (like that guy I mentioned who bought 3-4 Tudors the other day). It has made for really shite customer service, even at shops with whom I've purchased a number of watches.

9. banshee Jan 1, 2022

I have certain life philosophy: if something is getting way too hard to get, it probably wasn't meant to be for a reason. Who knows...

mydeafcat and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Jan 1, 2022

Same goes with relationships. I’ve never been one to chase the hard to get. If they don’t want to be with me, then why would I put in the effort to be with them.

CPRwatch, banshee, kip595 and 2 others like this.
  11. NGO1 Jan 1, 2022

Hey neighbor, take a drive down south. Plenty of GMTs here on this side of the border.
    If you give them a call, you might even convince them to ship one to you.
    Good luck.

12. NGO1 Jan 1, 2022

Do you vaguely remember what that guy and his “wife” look like, are they pale or unshaven?

2B3C30F7-A524-4549-95D7-4CA4FF4B3E75.png
    mydeafcat likes this.
  13. mydeafcat Jan 1, 2022

To me, he definitely resembled the guy on the right; his wife was taller than Max, however, yet appeared to lack the requisite strength to pull a sleigh up Mt. Crumpet.

Omegafanman and NGO1 like this.
  14. Walrus Jan 1, 2022

James I told you it wasn’t you, it was me and we can still be friends aren’t you over that yet?

SPO, KeithS, Shabbaz and 5 others like this.
  15. kip595 Jan 1, 2022

I tried to actively run away from a woman once - across both state and even country borders - and then we ended up living together for five years, engaged for 4 of them, until finally it fell apart because "you simply will not change!" (her words). ::screwloose::

Oh...parting can be such delightfully sweet, sweet sorrow. Mostly sweet though.

On the bright side, she did buy me my first Omega, so that was cool! ::psy::

JwRosenthal likes this.
  16. JwRosenthal Jan 1, 2022

That’s kind of like my relationship with Zodiac Seawolfs, they keep chasing me and coming home with me no matter how hard I fight.

Seriously, I don’t get the fascination with being dismissed and abused and thinking that makes the prize that much sweeter. I think that person/retailer/company is just an asshole, and not worth of my time/attention/money, no thanks!

KingCrouchy, mydeafcat, NGO1 and 2 others like this.
  17. NGO1 Jan 1, 2022

So you’ve met Linda, my Rolex SA.

Paedipod, mydeafcat and JwRosenthal like this.
  18. JwRosenthal Jan 1, 2022

I posted in another Rolex bashing thread a while ago about what it was like shopping at ANY high end boutique, particularly Rolex back in the early 00’s (also remember, that was the peak of the Bush years, decadent spending on credit, coming out of one of the largest National surpluses in history and money was fast, nearly free and easy, all prior to the big fall of ‘08). The insipid flattery, saccharin conversation, flat champagne or bitter espresso brought to you, dozens of watches laid out before you (not one at a time, they wanted you to buy them all), catalogs and brochures sprawled out showing every option you could get TOMORROW, and if you chose to leave without buying, discounts thrown at you, swag, more flat champagne, potential for sexual favors, offering of first born. Then the follow up phone calls (if you unfortunatly wrote down your phone number)- like a gym calling you for membership- offerings of more feee swag and buy one get one…it was truly hustle to get your money.
    THAT is high end retails sales, I hated it then, but man, they worked for it!

Archer, mydeafcat and NGO1 like this.
  19. NGO1 Jan 1, 2022

The role is entirely reversed now friend.
    I’ve been offering Linda sexual favors for years.
    So sick of her shit, I married her.

25 years of marriage, still waiting for her to get me on the list for a Batman.
    She did get be a Breitling, as my wedding present.

(most of it is true)

EB45BE20-078E-43A7-B98F-6A21A4FF1AA7.jpeg

Sorry OP, James derailed your thread.

20. JwRosenthal Jan 1, 2022

He’s used to it ;)

And love the textures on that Breitling dial.

mydeafcat and NGO1 like this.