Forums Latest Members

Something came along today

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 5, 2017

A month ago I had a new gas central heater installed. The tradies were a great bunch of guys and when they were doing the functional checks on the outlets one noticed a watch case on my dresser and said to his mate "Hey Scotty, he's one of your mob!". It turned out Scotty was a watch nerd too and told me about a Rolex he bought some years ago but didn't wear any more because the bracelet was broken and it kept stopping and he had to give it a few bangs or whacks to get it going again :eek:.

This was my first hint that while Scotty might love watches, he didn't know too much about what makes them tick, or not tick in this case.

He asked if I'd be interested in taking a look at it to see if there could be anything done to fix the problems. I was OK with that and said just drop it in next time you're in the area.

That was quite a while ago and I thought he'd forgotten all about it until a call this morning and an excited visitor carrying a Rolex box a bit later.

So here's what he brought along,

SR_1.JPG

a rather beaten up 16610.

SR_2.JPG

The bracelet was broken, the case was marked with battle scars and the movement was stopped dead.

First step was to remove the bracelet, thank heavens for drilled lugs!

SR_3.JPG

After cleaning the caseback with a clean brush it was into the case opener to get the back loosened.

SR_4.JPG

The inside look OK, no water damage or other signs of corrosion and NO CRACKED ROTOR! The caseback has a prior service marking but unless it was done by Rolex the place and date are unknown.

SR_5.JPG

Moving the rotor around exposes the balance assembly.

SR_6.JPG

And you don't have to be blind Freddie to see the problem. One of the bridge screw has come adrift and lodged under the balance wheel.

SR_6a.JPG

With that carefully removed with my finest brass Dumont 4 tweezers the balance started again.

Looking around before the lid was closed I noticed some scuffing from the rotor which I suspect may be the reason for the first service.

SR_7.JPG
    And also evidence of "prior work".

SR_8.JPG

Now that we know the reason Scotty had to bang his watch to make it go, the next step is to fix the bracelet.

Then remove the movement and clean the case and bracelet and possibly re-brush the bracelet. I'll leave that to see how it cleans up after a scrub and an ultrasonic bath.

Now to start preparing dinner for SWMBO, who is due home in a couple of hours.

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 5, 2017

PS: I wonder if he'll let me grind that snot blob odd the crystal :D.

Nobel Prize, Atleo, Baz9614 and 6 others like this.
  3. watch3s Jun 5, 2017

oh boy who ever did that previous service :whipped:

hope to see the follow up ::popcorn:: great pictures!

4. munichblue Jun 5, 2017

I guess Scotty will be over the moon when you give him his free of charge serviced watch back. Very friendly turn! :thumbsup: Quite sure you're gas heater gets lifetime maintenance as well. :D

Syrte, Uniqez, Fost and 2 others like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 5, 2017

I know from personal experience that being nice to your HVAC technicians is a very good idea when it's:
    A) 95 and the AC quits
    B) -15 and the heat quits

Great story!

Rumar89, ahartfie, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Jun 5, 2017

Same guy?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 6, 2017

I reckon my Scotty could pull that singers arms off like wings from a fly.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 6, 2017

But BOT.

Now all taken apart ready for cleaning.

SR_10.JPG

Some great gunk here, but not the worst I've seen.

SR11.JPG

The case, caseback and bezel will all be given a thorough ultrasonic clean and then re-assembled.

And once again I must depart to prepare dinner for Ms Darlin' who'll be home soon.

Baked fillet of Rock Ling, Couscous with roasted vegetable/capsicum/sundried tomato and blanched sticks of zucchini.

No bullshit, here it is!

BFORLETC.JPG

9. Cosd Jun 6, 2017

Your food preparation is as organised as your desk!! hat off to you sir :)

I love these posts where a simpleton like myself understands exactly what was wrong and what was done to remedy. Again hat off to you, I would have pooped my pants at the thought of opening a Rolex, let alone somebody elses :)

10. watch3s Jun 6, 2017

that is amazing detail! the owner really loved his rolex

11. herold Jun 6, 2017

:D

12. Thrasher36 Jun 10, 2017

I'm hungry now!

13. Ssunnylee24 Jun 11, 2017

So much good stuff here

14. Rumar89 Jun 11, 2017

It's a pleasure to read these posts with how methodically they are laid out. Excellent pics too. Keep up the good work!

15. chows99 Jun 11, 2017

Wonderful post. I would love to have you as neighbour!

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2017

So where did I get to, ah yes, ready for cleaning.

All parts got scrubbed with an ultrasonic toothbrush and dish liquid, then some went into the ultrasonic bath (NOT THE BEZEL!)
    The case shows signs of hard use and I'm not sure if I should do a mild re-brush or just leave it as is.

SRC_01.JPG

Nice to see all of the gunk gone. Compare it to the earlier shot of the same area.

SRC_02.JPG

The bezel was cleaned with sharp pegwood and an ultrasonic brush.

SRC_03.JPG

All parts nice and clean, almost like new.

SRC_04.JPG

Now all parts ready to go back together. Points to the person who can tell me what's missing in the pic below.

SRC_05.JPG

So now we are ticking away nicely on the timegrapher. Proper checking to be done later.

SRC_06.JPG

Next phase is the bracelet which was problematic due to the link pin being sheared off in the side links.

This is one side with the missing pin.

SRB_5.JPG

This is the other side link with the broken part still embedded.

SRB_4.JPG

Fixing this will be fun.

17. PaulC77 Jun 12, 2017

I'll play what's missing from the pic, is it the bezel spring?

watch3s likes this.
  18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2017

:thumbsup:

watch3s likes this.
  19. watch3s Jun 12, 2017

has someone removed that bezel a lot? theres a few marks on the underside

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 12, 2017

Not surprising considering the marks on the movement. The owner didn't buy it new so who knows the history.

brockburst and watch3s like this.