Forums Latest Members

Some questions on a 1950's Rolex

1. Bob Neville Dec 26, 2021

I wrote a few posts several months ago regarding dozens of pocket & wrist watches including 3 Rolexes that my father-in-law found in a box that had been in his father’s house when he passed. It turned out that one of the Rolexes is a Korean “Kolex”, but according to Ben Bridge the other 2 are legit. I helped him sell most of the stuff (almost $10K worth of watches, coins, and jewelry) except a few sentimental items and the 2 real Rolexes. He surprised me yesterday with a Christmas gift of one of the Rolexes. He has the paperwork for both of them, but we can’t determine which documents go with which Rolex, so this one was either made in October 1951 or July 1953.

I have started tracking the accuracy, and after 24 hours resting on the edge opposite the crown it’s 64 seconds slow (-1:04 / day). I’m currently tracking the next 24 hours leaving it face-up.

I’d like to actually wear it occasionally, so I’d like to get it serviced. According to my FIL the guy he spoke with at Ben Bridge said it would probably cost at least $1,000 for a Rolex authorized service, it would have to be shipped-off to Seattle, and it would take 2 months. There must be competent watch-makers locally who are not “Rolex certified” but can still do an excellent job of servicing this watch. I live in Orange County CA – can anyone refer someone in my area? Even if I have to possibly go to LA or San Diego.

As you can see in the pictures the original bracelet is damaged and separated at the clasp. I can hook it back together but it’s still prone to coming apart. It’s too small for my wrist so even if it was repaired it still wouldn’t work for me. I’d also be concerned that given its age and unknown condition it might break while I’m wearing it and the watch could get damaged. I was thinking an oxblood-red leather band would look nice with this watch – any thoughts/suggestions from anyone? This original bracelet must have some value not only in just the gold content but the fact that it’s original to the early 1950’s - assuming it could be repaired, or parts used for authentic spare links & clasp for a repair of another bracelet from the same time period. Any thoughts on what the bracelet might be worth? I’m just thinking if I sell or trade the bracelet then that might pay for the service and new leather band?

Rolex 1-1.JPG Rolex 1-2.JPG Rolex 1-3.JPG Rolex 1-4.JPG Rolex 1-5.JPG Rolex 1-6.JPG Rolex 1-7.JPG Rolex 1-8.JPG
    Duracuir1 likes this.
  2. Dan S Dec 26, 2021

The watch appears to have a repainted dial, but otherwise it looks legit, and I assume that the jeweler checked the movement. The bracelet can be easily repaired by a good jeweler, and you can also get spare links for $50-$100 each. My inclination would be to keep the bracelet with the watch. But if you need the funds to pay for the service, then by all means, you can put the bracelet on eBay. And you can look at past sales to get a rough value. It will probably get you roughly what you would need for a service by an independent watchmaker. There are many independent watchmakers who can service that watch. Try a forum search or better yet, ask some locals.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  3. Bob Neville Dec 26, 2021

Thanks Dan. What are you seeing to conclude that the face has been repainted? Is that something that would have been performed as part of a regular service?

4. Dan S Dec 26, 2021

When you look at enough dials, you learn to recognize fine distinctions of the printing. In this case, the elongated shape and crude serifs of the ROLEX font were the first things that I noticed, and then I checked various other details of the outer track, sharpness of the hash lines, consistency, alignment, etc. Missing SWISS at the bottom. You don't expect perfection from a 1950s watch, and there can be a fair amount of variability, but you eventually get a sense of what is original and what is not. To be fair, we don't always agree.

Yes, it was very common to re-paint dials to make them look new and fresh again, or if they were stained or damaged. Sometimes I think that the majority of dials we see are repainted.

5. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 26, 2021

Dan S likes this.
  6. Bob Neville Dec 26, 2021

Thanks Dan & DD12!

Dan S likes this.
  7. cvalue13 Dec 26, 2021

Were square-shaped “cyclops” common aftermarket additions, or?

8. Bob Neville Dec 26, 2021

DD12; Can you provide a wider-view picture of the watch and leather band if it wouldn't be too much of a bother? I'm still considering whether I want to keep & repair the original bracelet, or sell/trade it for the service and a new leather band - I wanted to see how that leather strap you have on yours looks.

9. Bob Neville Dec 26, 2021

It's not obvious on any of the pictures, but the cyclops on mine is on the inside of the crystal.
    If my Rolex is the one with the paperwork from July 1953, could that be original, or is it more likely that this is not the original crystal? I read that the cyclops was introduced in 1953.
    IMG_1612.JPG

Duracuir1 likes this.
  10. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 26, 2021

The watch I posted is not mine. The link below the photo leads to a listing with more photos. If you search for images of "Rolex 6105" you will see other examples on leather straps.

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 26, 2021

I’d recommend the watchmaker in south coast plaza. I can’t remember his name at the moment. But if your in OC I’d use him.

he is independent on the ground floor on the old sears side. He is located behind other shops. If you can’t find it on me and I’ll dig it out.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  12. Canuck Dec 26, 2021

Rolex will refuse to service both of these watches! I don’t know exactly how and where Rolex draws the line, but both of these watches would be considered obsolete, by Rolex. Funny part is that a Rolex service centre is likely the only place that will have the required parts! But that is their policy. You’ll need to find an independent.

13. cvalue13 Dec 26, 2021

Don’t take me as the definitive word on it, but I’d start with the assumption it is a replacement crystal. I do not believe Rolex ever produced a square, nor inverted, cyclops. And, it would meanwhile be common for this watch to have had one or more crystal replacements over the years.

Bob Neville likes this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 26, 2021

Here is someone who could fix the bracelet for you:

https://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2021/08/11/how-to-take-the-stretch-out-of-a-rolex-band/

You would need to contact him to see he has extra links for a 2-tone Jubilee bracelet. There are ways to adjust a clasp to gain an extra 1/2” or so if needed.

He can also service the watch for a fraction of what you were quoted in Seattle. Only issue is that they are not in California. But they don’t charge California prices either.

Good luck with the repair,
    gatorcpa

15. Bob Neville Dec 26, 2021

Jostmar Jewelers?

16. Bob Neville Dec 26, 2021

Thanks for the lead - I will check this place out

17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 26, 2021

Yup that’s him.

18. Benbradstock Dec 26, 2021

Arthur at “A Step Back In Time” in Laguna Beach is reliable. I have had him service several watches for me over the years. Best of luck and thanks for posting.