Forums Latest Members

Some questions about Universal Geneve Compax

1. Reborn Jul 20, 2018

Hi all,

Wondering if someone who collects these or has these can give an assessment of this UG make. The case size is said to be 36mm, does it feel smaller than 36mm because of the bezels?

Second, can someone enlighten me on the wide price range for this model - yes I understand it depends on sellers' own assessment of the "right" price, but I have seen some steel pieces going for about 3k usd and some asking for as high as 7k usd. Does price depend on the dial type or the color of the dial?

Thanks in advance for answers.

2. maanu Jul 20, 2018

I don't know answers to your questions.

Based on my few hours of studying the book below I think it may help you gain knowledge to make the right decisions. There are lot of bad watches out there and could be the reason of the price difference.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-....l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XPietro+Sala.TRS0.TSS0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

3. bgrisso Jul 20, 2018

You are asking about a model, not a specific watch. It's too general a question to answer. It's like asking for an assessment of a corvette. There is no set size or price for a corvette. They have been made for many years, in many configurations, and the desirability and value depend on the specs of any particular example, including the condition.

The Sala book is a great place to start learning, and you can also post specific references you have in mind, or specific watches.

4. Reborn Jul 21, 2018

Thanks, appreciate this direction, that's where I will start the research.

5. Reborn Jul 21, 2018

Thanks for the advice. Was mainly looking at those from the 1980s. But I guess that is also too general.

6. ELV web Jul 21, 2018

The 80s are not so popular in most UG fans’ opinion. You should really take a look at sala book and look back to the 60s and before for some leads. Or even easier, comb through the threads in this forum.

Edited Jul 21, 2018
    Woops likes this.
  7. Reborn Jul 21, 2018

Thanks, this is very useful advice.

8. Woops Jul 21, 2018

I couldn’t agree with ELV more. Spend whatever free time you have sifting through this fantastic forum and you will learn from some of the most passionate knowledgeable UG collectors that there are out there. Keep an eye on the sales thread for Compaxes that pop up, obviously. Be very careful on eBay because most UGs are especially vulnerable to Franken makeovers. Most of all, have fun - I hope you find something good!

Edited Jul 21, 2018
  9. Reborn Jul 21, 2018

Thanks for flagging out the pitfalls in ebay UGs.

10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 21, 2018

The golden ages of the UG chronographs in general are 30’s, 40’s,50’s,early 60’s. The range includes yellow or rose gold or SS; dressy/sports/military/aero/Specialty models. Sizes also vary. What drives price is aesthetics, condition and period appropriate parts. 60’s sport/military and rare models are in high demand. In general 37mm or above are more expensive but 35mm wears fine as well. For watches in good to excellent condition there are no bargains anymore. There is a trove of great data via search function and a passionate collector community here. Get yourself a Sala book and have your homework done before you come here with questions. The more you do this, follow debates on the forum, the more you will learn.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  11. Reborn Jul 21, 2018

Thanks for the broad observations, appreciate it. Will get a copy of the book for sure to better understand UG collecting.

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 21, 2018

"Compax" is not "a" model. It's *tons* of models, made at least from the 1940s to the 1960s.
    A 1960s "Nina Rindt" can cost 10 times more than a 1940s Compax.
    And they don't look remotely similar.

Larry S likes this.
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 21, 2018

To illustrate- 30’s to 60’s evolution.
    Compur - minutes and seconds sub dials
    Uni-Compax - replaces Compur
    Compax - Seconds, Minutes, Hours sub dials
    Dato Compax - seconds, minutes, hours and date subdials.
    Tri Compax- Seconds, minutes, hours, date subdials with Moonphase, Day and Month Windows.

Then within these there are specialty subspecies watches. Forgot to mention that cases also come in gold an chrome plate.

viwa64 likes this.