Forums Latest Members

Some questions about a Vintage Seamster from the '50s

1. V_buozzi33 Jul 14, 2019

I am looking at buying this Vintage Seamaster but there is one thing that is bothering me. The second clock on the face cuts off the 6 and I was wondering why? On top of that, the seller does not have a year listed so can anyone identify what year it is from?

IMG_3845.jpg
  2. rincondeltiempo Jul 14, 2019

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The 6 numeral being cut is a usual practice among watch brands, you can see it in several and abundant dials, so that's not an issue (at least for me).
    To really be "precise" on the dating of this watch, we would need the serial number that, in these models, is located on the movement.

What it would bother me is the watch itself. Seeing the hands being so dirty and rusted meanwhile having the dial white with "no blemishes" (comparable to the hands) it's something to think about. The dial isn't immaculate but in comparison to the hands, it's in pretty good condition. Seems like they didn't live the same life.

That being said, a movement and inner caseback shot are needed to properly determine the condition of the wristwatch.

My hypothesis on this one is:
    - A franken watch that has been built using several parts of other watches.
    - A cleaned (or repainted) dial.

Best,
    Javi.

Foo2rama and DaveK like this.
  3. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 14, 2019

Looks ok to me. 2576 model, not one of the first ones so 1952-54 at a guess. Does look prepped for sale, case polished etc.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jul 14, 2019

The sub seconds are my favourite complication on a watch. Google sub seconds watch, or better, search the omega forum for sub seconds or subseconds, and you will see lots of legit and called-out-fake examples with the 6 cut off more or less. Happy hunting!

PS To your question on why the sub seconds? Good question. There might be a horological reason, but I do not know it.

Edited Jul 14, 2019
    mcnuonuo likes this.
  5. V_buozzi33 Jul 14, 2019

Thank you, Javi,

I appreciate your insight.
    -Victor

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 14, 2019

As @Archer has corrected me on in the past it’s not a complication. Technically center seconds are a complication.

DaveK likes this.