Forums Latest Members

Some Quality Time with Timepieces

1. aesguerra Jul 21, 2018

Yesterday, the wife and I went out towards Sacramento to visit relatives, via detours to Yolo County for sunflower gazing and flower gathering for her... and then to Roseville for some advanced watch scouting for me. :p With a raise coming in October, I figured it was time to do my homework on what will be me adding a sixth watch to my collection, and Roseville Galleria has more than a fair selection of great watch shops (with EXCELLENT STAFF) on site. My criteria are that this next one has blue for the dial, a bracelet instead of a strap, no chrono, and fall somewhere in the $5000'ish or less range.

I had shortlisted half a dozen watches for closer inspection, and was a little surprised in how the priority list evolved; occasionally, reality does not follow expectation. For example, the Breitling Navitimer 1 and the denim Railmaster DID NOT make the final consideration cut. The latter was especially surprising considering I was initially impressed with the black dialed variant, and even that specific one suddenly lost it's luster after careful examination of the four listed here. I decided to share my findings, partially for insights to anyone looking to acquire these pieces, but mostly for entertainment. :p

8561553653_6307f842a6_b.jpg
    This one was funny as I was initially gathering intel on the 2018 version, but ended up scrutinizing it's fore bearer. I really was looking forward to the inclusion of a display caseback as well as the return of the wave pattern on the dial for the '18 model. But in laying this outgoing SMPc on my wrist, it really struck a cord in how low it lay in place! For all the Omegas out there, this one F-I-T, with nary a I-can-work-with-this thought!!! The Omega staff made it clear that the new one would definitely sit higher due to the sapphire crystal on the back, and that really stuck in my mind. Also rooting in my noggin was how I was incredibly impressed by the appearance of the lacquered dial - its such a deep blue that dramatically changes in hue depending on what angle you happen to view it at; suddenly, wave patterns weren't only not that important, they became superfluous. And despite some saying that the SMPc isn't exactly a t-shirt and jeans accessory, I can see it. And it doesn't exactly hurt that it's price is about to drop with it's successor on it's way in. :thumbsup:

unbenannt-9582.jpg
    A lot of my aviator friends who wear Breitling have clearly expressed their disdain for the simplest of new incoming Navitimer 8s, deriding it's absolute lack of details, features, and CASE SIZE that in their eyes make it anything but one. Then again, none of my friends are dealing with a six-point-five inch wrist that makes a 46mm Navitimer look like I'm trying to wear Big Ben on my wrist. This 41mm gem with it's shorter and sharply turned down lugs was THE BEST fit of any of the watches that I tried on, conforming even better than another timepiece that came with 38mm case. I also liked the utterly simplicity of the design, which I know is practically heresy for a Breitling, but to each their own I guess - I'm was never a fan of a dial where I have to take two seconds to pick out the hour and minute hands from the clutter of a slide rule (truly sorry, no offense to the pure-Breitling crowd... my mileage does apparently vary ;) ).This one ties with the SMPc for the which-would-I-get-first priority list.

23110392103001-20-large.jpg
    Riding a somewhat distant second place to the tied-for-first-place duo, I kind of feel guilty that it swung this way for this one. I have yet to hear a single solitary bad thing from anyone about the AT's every day, every occasion flexibility. And I will admit that it's a beautiful watch, and I fairly salivate about not only owning a Co-Axial 8500 driven watch, but a watch that allows me to view the Co-Axial 8500 movement!!! Obviously an awesome watch! Unfortunately, it's more-blingy than what I'm used to appearance (I blame the polished center links of the bracelet) are right on the borderline f clashing with my 350 out of 365 days a year t-shirt fashion routine. BUT... that I can fix if I elect to go with this guy. Note to self - buy more polo shirts... and ties are good! :p

Rolex-oyster-perpetual-39-KD-7.jpg
    If I was guilty about the AT, then I need to be executed for this one (as in the most excruciatingly painful and drawn out kind of way). EVERYONE praises the Oyster Perpetual for it's all-missions capability, it's exquisite simple-based beauty, it's sheer durability, it's incredible quality, etc etc etc. And yet when I was presented with the entry level version of the legendary Rolex for examination... I came up "... Meh...". ::facepalm1:: Feel free to rake me over the coals, boys and girls, because I KNOW I deserve it. :thumbsup: This is supposed to be a watch that any average Joe can appreciate for every possible reason under the sun, and yet my pulse gets going faster for my Seiko Cocktail Time. This 39mm piece remaining on my shortlist is me acknowledging that I obviously don't know what I don't know, and that I need to pull my head out of that place where the sun don't shine. Still, chances are the other three would have to be utterly unavailable before this Rolex makes it into my collection.

And that's that for the intel gathering. Providing I survive the backlash, the first week of October will reveal the final decision. ;) :cool:

Cheers,

Alex

Tritium and Taddyangle like this.
  2. SeanO Jul 21, 2018

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2018

Sinn 903 blue dial... real Navitimer and 42mm. Arguably more Breitling then any of the current watches they make. The Sinn traces back to the original Navitimer that Breitling no longer has the rights to while Sinn does.

https://www.sinn.de/mobile/en/Modell/903_St_B_E.htm

What about the blue Globemaster?

sxl2004 and Mtek like this.
  4. aesguerra Jul 21, 2018

5. aesguerra Jul 21, 2018

That's a pretty interesting piece. To be honest, I think that's the first time I've eyed the new Globemaster. ;)

Do you honestly see that going with a t-shirt?

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 21, 2018

Yes actually, same range as a date just. If I ever go back to work in an office the GM is a first buy. I see it work from suits to casual.

I also own a 903 and love it. It’s not a tribute watch but the real deal Navitimer.

Mtek likes this.
  7. Mtek Jul 21, 2018

Globe master is an incredible watch in my opinion, can’t go wrong with it. Personally, I’d rock in with a T-shirt no prob.

Btw, did someone mention 903? Another watch @Foo2rama influenced me to get...

949792CE-30DA-4202-A046-A29E600F50E7.jpeg

Stgo2019 and Foo2rama like this.
  8. aesguerra Jul 22, 2018

That he did. :cool: As much as I DO like it, I'm trying to avoid a busy dial and chrono. But thx!

Mtek and Foo2rama like this.
  9. Draven Jul 22, 2018

I would have no hesitation with saying go with the Professional 300 - No.1

I wear mine almost everyday and it goes with everything!! Stunning dial and just the perfect size. I have the black version.

Didn't really like the new 2018 wave dial, if it was a wave dial you wanted I would definitely recommend the older version the 2255.80

6570301D-4E33-4638-B638-4C8B2F9A319E_zpsarjxgkal.jpg
    aesguerra and Mtek like this.