Forums Latest Members

Some advice on this lovely Ploprof would be appreciated!

1. gunners123 Jan 21, 2020

Hey guys,

I recently bought this lovely Ploprof and will look to sell it in a few months, I know a bit but certainly not an expert on them. Would really love and appreciate some advice from those wiser than myself on the following things:
    - Model details
    - Valuation (I'm really struggling to come up with a fair price for sale)
    - And if I should have any restoration work done on it (currently running well at +2s/day)

From what I can tell it has an early MK1 case and D2 or D3 dial. The dial obviously has some wear so I'm struggling to value the piece fairly based on the condition.

I'm also very hesitant to touch up or replace the dial, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks again and happy to provide more photos if that helps!

2CCD5288-4BA0-4D3D-89E6-02AC9D8B06A0.jpeg 10EF9232-0921-43E0-9BCD-B6FA94AFEE06.jpeg
    AustinCambridge likes this.
  2. Dr.K Jan 23, 2020

hopefully someone on here can help. I’ve never seen such a piece before.

3. gunners123 Jan 23, 2020

I know there are some Ploprof lovers here haha, just need to find them

4. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jan 23, 2020

First watch I got as a bell-sat diver many, many years ago. I suggest leaving the dial alone. I feel the aging gives it personality.
    If it belonged to a working diver the history could be pretty amazing. Seems in good shape, almost too good if it spent much time underwater.
    Valuation is simple......it's worth whatever one person is willing to pay. It's worth a lot more if two people want it. Search ebay for completed sales and search the sales forum here. Also, a quick search of Chrono24.com shows 80+ currently for sale. You can get an idea pretty quickly as to the value. I always loved that watch.

5. gunners123 Jan 23, 2020

Thanks a lot for your input - it's certainly a real tool watch, with a really cool history.

Appreciate your thoughts on valuation too - I know that Ploprof prices vary depending on dial/case/bezel variant and condition, I've had a look on Chrono and through the forums, and struggling to nail down a fair value based on the above

6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jan 23, 2020

By the time I wrapped up my stint in the North Sea mine was totally trashed. Sure wish it looked as sweet as yours.

Always better to start high and reduce price as needed. If it sells in 5 minutes or less you asked too little. :D

7. gunners123 Jan 23, 2020

You definitely looked a lot cooler than I do :D

C1388E2A-7726-4F09-8BF9-3633A4E54C22.jpeg
    tpatta likes this.
  8. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jan 23, 2020

Sadly I'm staring wistfully into a Suunto Dive Computer.

Edited Jan 23, 2020
    Jones in LA likes this.
  9. gefmey Jan 23, 2020

You can get a good sense of value by looking at the sold listings on ebay. Chrono24 dealers are to put it mildly aggressive in their pricing. The dial looks like a nice original D2 dial, the case looks nice and not polished, so that helps. Good luck, I think these are great.

10. cvalue13 Jan 23, 2020

Sheesh - I’m not a Plo-fessional, but that is a great and honest looking watch just as it is.

Until you’ve gotten 3 unanimous suggestions from Plo-fessionals to touch anything, I’d leave it just as is.

I suspect your DM might get hit up by some folks looking to preemt a sale process, and best of luck

11. cvalue13 Jan 23, 2020

12. gefmey Jan 24, 2020

Agreed, as Hercule Poirot says "touch nothing";)