Forums Latest Members

SOLD! Vintage Zenith Captain Bumper cal. 71 (date)

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 10, 2016

I am offering for the first time an uncommon and fine vintage Zenith Captain bumper cal. 71. These only appear on the market infrequently, are extremely high quality watches, and to some extent are a well-kept secret.

The substantial case was manufactured by Huguenin Freres, as indicated by the iconic "HF" marking on the inside of the case back. I say substantial because it is, and wears larger than its 34mm dimension excluding the signed, original crown. The distinctive and long lugs feature unusual and attractive chamfers which stretch from tip to tip. The case is in excellent condition, and free from any significant scratches. The pretty "Z" emblem and serial number on the case back are well preserved, and clearly reflect the light usage that the watch has seen.

The cal. 71 is the date equivalent of the outstanding cal. 133.8. These are unquestionably one of the finest and best finished bumper movements ever manufactured. This one is in excellent condition, as the photos indicate, and is running properly. I have not timed it, though, and would recommend a service if the new owner chooses to wear the watch regularly.

I would say that the dial is in very good condition, though most dealers would probably substitute "excellent". The reason for my more conservative rating is that there are three very light radium burns which are visible, but not particularly distracting to my eye. They really look like light shadows just outside of the one, three and four o'clock markers.

I am asking $950 plus shipping, and will cover the Paypal fee at that price. I consider it to be exceptional value, given the superb quality of the watch throughout.

Please note that the watch is located with me in Lisbon, Portugal, so European buyers need not worry about additional customs duties.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Regards,

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hijak Apr 10, 2016

PM sent!

3. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 10, 2016

Nice one. It's worth adding that this watch sports the correct paddle-wheel type crown, echoing the Z-wheel on the case back. GLWS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 10, 2016

Sold! Thanks to all for your interest, and to the forum.

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 10, 2016

That was a good price. Congrats to both of you.

Hijak likes this.