Forums Latest Members

SOLD Jaeger LeCoultre WWW Australian Issue 1945

1. Norfolk Mar 7, 2018

THE TEXT BELOW REPRODUCED WITH PERMISSION FROM ANOTHER VERY SUCCESSFUL SALES POST - THANKS DRE!

For sale is my Jaeger-LeCoultre military watch, issued to the Australian army circa 1940s.

Dial: good clean example - possible service relume. all original cathedral hands with similar relume.
    Case: chrome plated, non-fixed lugs which is correct for this JLC WWW.
    Movement: Jaeger cal 479 movement, which has 15 jewels (the majority of which are held in chatons), with Geneva stripes and gilt finish. Movement number fits Austalian issue run.

Watch has been through the hands of John Senior who replaced glass and checked it over.

The watch measures 35mm excluding crown. It is much better in real life and has character as you would expect of a 1940s military watch. Movement is in good running condition, beautiful uniformly coloured Geneva stripes.

Australian and British cases are different, the Australian examples seen have spring bars and the British version has fixed bars. The original finish on the Australian ones seems to be shiny, and the original finish on the British ones is matte. The lugs on the Australian one seem to be slimmer than the British version. The caseback is numbered 293xxx and like all the Australian issue WWW watches, does not have the WWW caseback markings. I have also included a photo of a page from the JLC book by Zaf Basha regarding JLC WWW that shows the Australian specification.

It is believed that there were only 2,000 of these watches issued to the Australian army. Serial range from 2930xx to 2948xx.

bashabook.jpg

front.jpg side.jpg back.jpg movement.jpg
    I am only selling as am refocussing collection away from military and towards Speedmasters and Lalique Car Mascots!
    Watch is in Cambridge UK (and possibly USA - see above). Price is £2000 or US$2800.now US$2500 inc postage for US buyers only

I would consider part trades for the following:

Ivory dial and bluehands BroadArrow auto

Edited Nov 30, 2018
  2. Norfolk Mar 21, 2018

I am bumping this one up and opening up to offers and trades...

3. Norfolk Nov 30, 2018

Dragging this one back up from the depths! Now US$2500 inc post to 48 states (reflecting dreadful state of exchange rate right now). I am in USA till mid-January then back in UK for any British or European interested parties....

4. bags1971 Nov 30, 2018

La Lalique car statue i had one off a car boot for 50p few years ago :)

5. Norfolk Dec 2, 2018

Now sold

watchcollect and airansun like this.