Forums Latest Members

SOLD! Beautiful Vintage CANDINO Diver SOLD!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 13, 2018

In my experience, the vintage diver market can, much like the broader market, be split into three basic categories: high-end, mid-range, and low-end. But again, like the broader market, there are some "mid-range" watches that stand out from the crowd in terms of design and quality, pushing into a "mid-high" range, and I consider this watch to be in that more exclusive group.

CANDINO may not be a well-known name in the vintage watch world, but they produced some very nice divers in the '60s. This particular example is definitely one of the best that I have seen, and I have owned it for a number of years.

The reasons that I consider it to be a cut above the average "nice" diver are as follows. First, the case is of high quality, and the bezel is full steel. Many of the divers on the market have painted aluminum bezels, or other alloys, and there are good reasons why the high-end manufacturers used steel. Not only are steel bezels considerably more durable than the softer metals and plastics, but the feel of them is typically more solid.

This diver also has, in my view, a superior dial and hand-set design. The blue bezel and inner dial compliment each other perfectly, and are separated by an attractive, and easy to read white minute track. The contrasting orange minute and second hands stand out exceptionally well, and are both pretty and practical in that regard. The date at six will also please anyone who values symmetry.

Note that the bezel is also concave, similar to those found on the crazy expensive Breitling Transocean and Gruen Ocean Chief models from the same period. There is a scratch on the countdown section of the bezel, which can be seen in the photos below.

The 38mm case is attractive, in my view, and retains its original contrasting brushed and polished finishing. It was originally advertised as being waterproof to 200m. The movement is a high-quality ETA 2783, and is working well, though as always, I would suggest a service if the watch is to be worn regularly.

The screw-down crown – another feature not found in the ordinary mid-range divers – is original, though unsigned.

The strap is a tropic type, but not a TROPIC brand.

The watch is in excellent, original condition throughout. As I was not able to capture the beauty of it with my camera, I am using several (excellent) photos taken by the previous owner.

I would like $900 ONO for this watch. Paypal preferred in this instance, and I will absorb the fee and ship registered from my home in Portugal at my asking price. EMS (express) insured, please add $50.

I expect that whoever buys this watch will be very happy with it, as it is not only a high-quality vintage diver and in excellent condition, but also very attractive on the wrist.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Syrte, JesperO, allwoundup and 9 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 13, 2018

OHPF!

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 13, 2018

Little surprise :thumbsup:

4. CaptainWinsor Dec 13, 2018

Candino made some nice watches

Tony C. likes this.
  5. gostang9 Dec 13, 2018

Damn, that was a beauty. Sorry I missed it...

Congrats to buyer and seller!

Tony C. likes this.
  6. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Dec 14, 2018

Sorry I missed it too, very nice

Tony C. likes this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 14, 2018

Sold! Thanks to the buyer and forum!