Forums Latest Members

So where are you on buckles?

1. Engee Mar 17, 2021

One of the pleasures of being into watches is the, dare I say, art, of matching a watch to a strap or bracelet. It can be genuinely transformational, and I do believe there's almost as much joy to be derived from finding a strap that perfectly complements the piece. It's not just about colours or materials - a tool watch needs an appropriate strap based on a number of factors, but that doesn't mean the strap needs to be contemporaneous to the date of manufacture of the watch. A modern silicone strap can look great paired with a 70s diver, and I would have no problem with that. On the other hand, some collectors look for authenticity - a 1964 gold-filled pie-pan must have a strap or bracelet that it would have possibly been sold with.

Many OF members pair their Omegas with non-Omega straps. But what do you think about buckles? Since it's fairly easy to find an Omega branded buckle to match a watch in terms of finish and size, do you tend to swap out generic buckles for an Omega buckle even if it's going on a non-Omega strap, or does that not bother you?

2. S.H. Mar 17, 2021

Easy to find a modern one, sure, a period correct one from the 60s or older, less so. Lots of fakes...

Personally, I rarely wear leather straps but when I do, I want a signed buckle.

Engee likes this.
  3. TexOmega Mar 17, 2021

I don’t worry about the strap, but place “of the era” buckles with the same era watches, usually my 1950’s Constellations.

Authentic buckles from that era are not plentiful and I do not seek them out... a few have found their way to my house over the years.

Engee likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 17, 2021

I’m always interested when I find a real one but they tend to be smaller than expected as many vintage straps had more taper, I’ve got some 14mm and 16mm tangs but none in great shape. I try to avoid buying them due to how many fakes are around and stick to just good aftermarket buckles in general as I trust 70 year tangs about as much as I trust 70 year old spring bars. They look good in photos and in the box but a modern buckle feels safer for any watch worn on the wrist.

5. S.H. Mar 17, 2021

Vintage steel buckles should be as sturdy as a modern one. The plated brass buckles would be more of a concern though...

Engee likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 17, 2021

Have just bought 16mm modern buckles from the Omega Boutique and they do fine.

As above have a few vintage ones and nice to find a vintage one on a old watch but don’t look for them.
    929AED25-248F-422F-826F-A3255D3AF07F.jpeg

137F8044-14D1-4644-A446-E762EAA8A0C4.jpeg

Nowadays I have 30-40 straps on watches that are 18mm so to have vintage buckles on all would be a full time pursuit....

7. watermonkey Mar 17, 2021

I've always swapped buckles with OEM ones on aftermarket... I am torn between a clasp or buckle for my 1861.
    Would love to see examples of aftermarket straps on Omega clasps here ...

Engee likes this.
  8. Evitzee Mar 17, 2021

I don't collect much vintage anymore, and even on modern watches I'm not too digital on having to have an authentic factory buckle if I'm changing straps. Some people only use Omega straps and buckles (tang or DP) which is fine but is a very expensive way to go and it greatly limits variation in materials, color, stitching, etc. I'm getting a new strap made for my Ultraman, specifying an 18mm buckle width. I have a new Omega buckle ($50) and I might use it, but I also have a new Fluco 18mm deployant clasp if I decide to go that route. Just depends.

IMG_0030.JPG
    Edited Mar 17, 2021
    Engee likes this.
  9. Medinatalzahra Mar 19, 2021

I 100% agree!!! I will not wear a vintage watch on a strap without a vintage buckle, and I find myself always buying them when I see good and rare ones available (usually when I don’t need them) as you seem to never be able to find them when you do. To me its a microcosm of watch collecting itself... And the best part is no one will ever notice or care but you ... M

Engee and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 20, 2021

I don't personally do lean one way or the other with respect to vintage buckles but as always with this hobby you should please yourself. No one here will ever see your buckle, unless of course you choose to show it off to an appreciative audience. And even on OF that audience is a tiny fraction of a vanishingly teensy fraction of the general population who don't care what watch you're wearing, much less which buckle is on it. :)

Engee likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 20, 2021

I was into vintage buckles for a bit. Both my Speedmasters and quite a few of my UG’s have em. I stopped when prices rose and provenance became hard to prove. I would not trust a vintage strap.

Engee likes this.
  12. abrod520 Mar 20, 2021

I don't much care whether it's signed or not, but I do like to match the buckle finish to the case finish. Easy enough to go find brushed or PVD buckles on eBay etc. :thumbsup:

Engee likes this.
  13. Vitezi Mar 20, 2021

I find that vintage buckles have the right shape and style that is appropriate to the era of the watch itself. When I can find signed buckles for the watches I collect, I always try to acquire them:
    [​IMG]

Engee likes this.
  14. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

I agree. The only caveat to my use of vintage buckles on my pieces are NATO straps (obviously) and for dive watches when I sport a contemporary rubber strap (for which a vintage buckle doesn't make sense).....

Engee likes this.
  15. Medinatalzahra Mar 20, 2021

I would note that you have to be careful with some vintage buckles in determining truly vintage vs. remakes. But once you figure out what you are looking for, you can avoid those mistakes. I also buy vintage straps -- but I seldom put them into use -- the good ones go in the drawer. Same thing applies.... You just have to be careful and know what you are looking for.... M

Engee, Larry S and Vitezi like this.