Forums Latest Members
  1. pandaboxer Jan 15, 2020

and I wish I found this forum first. Over the past day I've learned things I wish I knew before I had made the purchase.

Since purchasing the watch, I've struggled finding any Seamaster's that looks exactly like mine which is leading me to believe that it is probably a frankenwatch, could really use your guys help. The dial has been restored, but I'm wondering if all the hands, indices, crown, movement, etc is all original. What I do know is its a caliber 562, and I believe the serial dates it to 1962. Pictures below, thanks in advance!

s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600 (11).jpg
  2. BenBagbag Jan 15, 2020

Case has been refinished to have a brushed look. Crown is a replacement. Movement is probably from another reference, as the base seems to state that it's a chronometer - its adjusted to 5 positions. Movement is also filthy.

Too late to return, cancel?

Pinoysurf likes this.
  3. pandaboxer Jan 15, 2020

I can inquire, but it says clearly on the ebay listing No Returns Accepted. It's my mistake for being too impulsive and not doing the research first.

BenBagbag likes this.
  4. omegaswisst Jan 15, 2020

You can still return the watch if the seller did not describe it accurately, despite them saying no returns.

How did they describe the watch on their listing?

Edited Jan 15, 2020
  5. pandaboxer Jan 15, 2020

I did ask in a PM whether the watch is all original and they said it was aside from the dial restoration. No specifics in the actual AD though, I'll copy and paste it below:

VINTAGE 1962 OMEGA SEAMASTER SILVER DIAL DATE AUTO CAL:562 MAN'S WATCH. Condition is Pre-owned.

PERFECT CONDITION (SERVICED)

Brand: Omega
    Series: Seamaster
    Movement: Automatic 24 Jewels, Cal.562 (Overhauled recently, keeps time.)
    Dial/Face Color: Silver Dial
    No Box/No Papers

Case

Case Material: Stainless Steel, polished to clean and remove scratches
    Case Width without Crown: 34 mm (1.34 inches)
    Case Width with Crown: 36.5 mm (1.44 inches)
    Case Height: 39.5 mm (1.56 inches)
    Case Thickness: 10.5 mm (0.41 inches)
    Band material: Leather. The band was replaced by a new generic

That is Ready to Wear

Buyer will have to pay any custom fees for releasing the item in their own country, this will effect delivery times. Check with your country before you bid.

Please be advised that by law canadian buyers are subject to Tax according to the province of residence.

GOOD LUCK, HAPPY BIDDING!

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2020

As redials go it's not bad. It was disclosed and I don't really see anything in the description overtly misleading.

It's called a noob tax, wear it and enjoy.

7. pandaboxer Jan 15, 2020

Haha thanks. While i'm a little bummed that it's not all original, I think it's still cool a looking watch on the wrist.

additional question - If I wanted to replace the crown with an accurate one for this case which one should I be getting? Also I should probably look into cleaning the movement, any idea how much that usually would run for an example like mine?

Thanks!

8. BenBagbag Jan 15, 2020

The question really is how much do you want to keep pouring into this watch? I'd recommend wearing it till it croaks and then move on. But that is just me.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  9. pandaboxer Jan 15, 2020

I was really hoping to keep it for the long haul to be honest with you. Unless the costs to service it are astronomical...

BenBagbag likes this.
  10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 15, 2020

It’s a nice looking watch. I think so, you think so and 99.9% of people who see it on wrist will also think so. Some of us, even on OF, liken it to having a vintage car restoration. Get it serviced, wear it, and enjoy it.

Benbradstock and pandaboxer like this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 15, 2020

"Movement: Automatic 24 Jewels, Cal.562 (Overhauled recently, keeps time.)"

I'd just wear it as is, perhaps it actually was serviced.

janice&fred and Dan S like this.
  12. Dan S Jan 15, 2020

I agree with what has been said above, this is not a watch to put money into, it can't be restored. It will never be a collectible example, so there's no point in replacing the crown or servicing it. Wear it as is and enjoy it.

If your interest in vintage Omega continues to grow, you can hunt for a truly collectible watch and then sell this one.

13. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jan 15, 2020

Some guys don't try to get the copper plating to look nice.

Does it actually keep time to COSC standards?

Tom

janice&fred likes this.
  14. omegaswisst Jan 15, 2020

VINTAGE 1962 OMEGA SEAMASTER SILVER DIAL DATE AUTO CAL:562 MAN'S WATCH. Condition is Pre-owned.

PERFECT CONDITION (SERVICED)

There seems to be some doubt as to whether the movement has been overhauled/serviced as indicated in description. Further it appears that the crown is not original even though the seller indicated in a PM that the watch was original aside from the dial restoration. I would also question the use of the term "perfect condition" in describing this watch.

If you are OK with the watch and trust the sellers description you should not have to put any more money into the watch and should just wear and enjoy it as it has already been serviced.

In determining whether to keep the watch you may want to ask who carried the service out and see if the seller can provide some proof of such service.

My view is that I would avail myself to the benefits of purchasing through eBay and the protection it offers to buyers and ask the seller for a refund, even if it has to be on the basis of a non original crown. You may have to do some research to back your claim up here.

15. rkman11 Jan 16, 2020

I’d look to return based on the add stating the movement was “overhauled recently.” That movement is filthy and hasn’t been touched in a looooong time!

KingCrouchy, omegaswisst and Stosh like this.
  16. Stosh Jan 16, 2020

The crud you can see on the gears under the rotor makes me cringe.

17. vicakers Jan 16, 2020

You could request evidence of the service and see what the seller says. If he/she is not able to provide evidence of recent service and given how filthy the movement is you might be justified in returning it.

18. pandaboxer Jan 16, 2020

Thanks for the reply guys. I’ll inquire tomorrow if a return is possible based on the incorrect crown and the movement being from another reference. The watch is working fine so far but I haven’t timed it for accuracy yet. I don't know if i can tell them the movement is filthy when there were pictures of it clearly in the ad.

Also the sellers been very cordial with me, and I feel like a lot of this is mostly due to my own inexperience so I wont push too hard if they refuse.

19. aprax Jan 16, 2020

The 562 movement would be correct for this reference. But you should probably mention that 562 movements are NOT chronometer graded. The chronometer calibre would be 561. So either one of two bridges (either the train bridge with the movement no. or the automatic works bridge with the "adjusted" inscription) have been swapped with an incorrect one in this case.

20. dx009 Jan 16, 2020

The movement is a franken/marriage. It has parts from multiple movements. (not that that is a bad thing especially if all the parts used are from the same caliber, I'm just pointing it out)

Crown is incorrect as has been mentioned. I think the case has been polished as well (it has a weird incorrect finish in some areas).

The marks on the case back should have been cleaned during servicing. Wouldn't be surprised if the movement is NOT serviced and I doubt that it has been serviced correctly.

I really dislike people that do this and, at least, aren't honest about it. I hope you didn't pay much for it.

Spruce likes this.