Forums Latest Members

So I bought a quartz watch...

1. noless Sep 7, 2022

With a big life event comes an excuse to buy a watch,

I had initially been eying off the blue Omega globemaster but a review online of the SGBY007 convinced me to inspect the Grand Seiko Boutique.

In person I must admit the SGBY007 rather lost its appeal, but after speaking with the staff in the boutique, I discovered this SLGA009, or the spring drive white birch.

When I saw photos of this one online I wasn't convinced, and it hadn't even made my short list.
    GS dials really are strange, you really have to see them in person.

I initially was very interested in the high beat white birch, but upon seeing it in person I found the silver dial a bit too much.

I really am surprised at how hard to photograph these dials are. If you have a chance definitely see them "in the metal"

Now to look into a nice leather strap to pair this with...

DSC05174.JPG
    ewand, Chaz Goldenrod, Dsloan and 8 others like this.
  2. Omegafanman Sep 7, 2022

Bet that has put a spring in your step :0)

3. Walrus Sep 7, 2022

Beautiful watch enjoy.

4. rspace Sep 7, 2022

Well the highlight of GS's are its dials! You have done well my friend. A colleague of mine who isn't a watch guy decided to get himself a spring drive as his first great watch! Glad they are now getting the attention they deserve!

noless likes this.
  5. Pun Sep 7, 2022

So which watch you bought? These are not quartz watches..

6. noless Sep 7, 2022

SLGA009 its a spring drive, so regulated by a quartz oscillator. ;)

That said, I think theres a LOT to be said for the seiko 9F quartz movements too. The accuracy on those along with even the attention to detail on controlling any judder in the second hand with each tick... I DID spend time looking closely at those too.

Pun likes this.
  7. Pun Sep 7, 2022

Yes I agree. I was referring to the conventional quartz that need battery to run not otherwise. Spring Drive doesn't need that.

8. jpw13008 Oct 7, 2022

Been looking at spring drives and quartz, want a dual purpose dress and everyday but the 41mm seems a little large on my 6.5" wrist for a dress watch. How do you find the case size so far?

9. noless Oct 7, 2022

the SLGA009 is 40mm, which I find just fine on my 6.3" wrist, not so large that its "sports" but certainly its right on the edge of what could be considered a dress watch. Mind you I bought it to also pull purpose as a dress watch as well as every day, and I think there are a number of pieces in the current GS lineup that could perform that duty well.

I found the SBGA211 snowflake a touch too large at 41mm too, its amazing what a difference 1mm makes, for example I find the speedmaster professional too large at 42mm but I am very happy with my 40mm speedmaster date.

Its really about how it sits against the wrist, with the wide 22mm bracelet making it feel really stable, and that the lugs curve around making it feel more wearable too.

I would still say you need to see it in person first, i find with GS in particular you really need to see them.

10. mahomes Oct 7, 2022

If I ever was to buy a quartz. This would probably have been it. Congrats mate!

11. janice&fred Oct 7, 2022

Try it you'll like it. Most big collectors love them both. We sold many a quartz watch to James Dowling and others when we were stationed in The Philippines. Remember...the original Bond Seamaster was/is quartz. Pierce Brosnan still has it.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 7, 2022

If Seiko would just stop hiding that lovely 9F movement, I’d pull the trigger.

13. noless Oct 7, 2022

They have done display caseback 9F's though rarely, the SBGV238 comes to mind, but that was ofc a limited edition one...

Pun likes this.
  14. Pun Oct 7, 2022

And SBGV019 too
    upload_2022-10-8_10-24-53.png

15. rspace Oct 9, 2022

If i ever buy a modern quartz seiko it would be this one: SBGV011. Image from the web. Grand-Seiko-Self-Dater-SBGV011-four.jpg

Pun likes this.