Forums Latest Members

So how do you pronounce ....

1. Littleroger Aug 31, 2012

the word "Omega"?

1) My whole life I've said Omega as in "meg-alomania" - a short "e" with the stress on the first syllable.

2) James Bond says it with the O-me-ga pronounced as in "me" as in I, me and mine (a long "e", with the stress on the second syllable.)
    How do you all say it?
    R

2. ulackfocus Aug 31, 2012

Oh - may - guh.

3. Littleroger Aug 31, 2012

I, too, am a fan of phonetics for idiots (like me).
    Hadn't even considered the "may" option. Dennis, where do you place the empahsis? Is it Oh - may - guh or Oh - may - guh ?
    Hope this thread doesn't explode ;)

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 31, 2012

Omay - guh

5. ulackfocus Aug 31, 2012

emphasis on the may.

6. bob martian Aug 31, 2012

I pronounce oMAYguh as well. I have also heard it called oMEguh by several people, which I kind of like and may start doing that.

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2012

I notice that our American friends are tending to say o-may-ga & the Brits tend to say o-me-ga, all of which is basically consistent with national/regional accents.

Perhaps there is no "correct" way, unless one wants to use a Swiss pronunciation to be authentic - but don't ask me what that is !

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2012

In Australia it tends to be Oh-Mee-Ga

9. bob martian Sep 1, 2012

10. Littleroger Sep 1, 2012

I was thinking about a phonetIcs example but the US phonetics are different to the US and probably to Australia et al too. It looks as though most in the US say o - MAY - ga, although there are geographical differences. The UK seems to prefer o-MEE-ga. And the Swiss say O-me-ga, emphasis on the first syllable.

11. HogWldFLTR Sep 4, 2012

oh meg uh

12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

Here you go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mk2euro, NT931 and Littleroger like this.
  13. Littleroger Sep 4, 2012

Great stuff. What book is that? Kyle, that completely supports the US pronunciation as shown by our very unrepresentative study. But.... is the author also from the US? After all, Webster's phonetics don't apply to British or Australian pronunciation.

Most popular so far:
    US - oMAYguh
    GB and Oz- oMEEguh
    Swiss - Omega (looks convincing ;))

Trev likes this.
  14. Trev The Architect Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

Yep, everyone in Australia that I've heard says oh-mee-guh. I recall people in Canada/US all saying oh-may-guh. :)

15. ulackfocus Sep 4, 2012

Archie pronounces Omega as not-ROLL-ex.

Littleroger likes this.
  16. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Sep 4, 2012

It's from Watchtime.

17. cvalue13 Jul 30, 2013

To rock an old boat: technically, the correct pronunciation would be either the correct Greek pronunciation or the pronunciation of the Swiss who gave the company the proper noun name in their own pronunciation of a Greek letter. In either case, almost all of the above examples are wrong insofar as both the proper Greek and Swiss pronunciation places the stress on the first syllable, not the middle syllable (as we English speakers are want to do) - accordingly, a crucial piece of correct pronunciation is to say *O*-mega (which, prounounces the "o" strongly as in "uhh", and removes almost all stress from the "g," and when stressed correctly, essentially pronounces the "mega" portion as a single syllible, altogether sounding very little like most people pronounce it). Try saying it as though the "O" is an exclamitory "UHH!" and the "mega" portion is a single, quiet syllable, and it should almost as if you're slurring the phrase "oh my god."

When pronounced this way, there is barely any recognizable difference between pronouncing the middle syllable as it "mee" or "may."

That said, pronouncing the word correctly in a watch shop would get you very funny looks.

thelinendial and Tempusfugitus like this.
  18. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jul 30, 2013

I think Omega is one of the few words Americans pronounce more correctly than do other English language speakers.

anyone know any other such words?

nordwulf likes this.
  19. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jul 31, 2013

O-MEE-GA here in NZ, just like our brothers in West Island :p

20. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jul 31, 2013

I come from a place called Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu. And I'm not joking. It was used by Kenny Everett Video Show byte he used before commercials where Kenny would say, "And we'll be back before you can say" and a cartoon native with a bone in his nose would to say that name as fast as he possibly could.

citizenrich likes this.