Forums Latest Members

So, did anybody watch Fyre?

1. albertob Jan 25, 2019

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 25, 2019

Hulu has 1 too. Hulu won the bidding war to interview the guy behind it. Most reviews agree the Netflix one is better.

gdupree likes this.
  3. thenameisnando Jan 25, 2019

I agree, i watched both and thought the netflix one was better even without interviewing him.

marco and Foo2rama like this.
  4. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 25, 2019

I liked Hulu better, but you need to watch both to get the whole story. Mind blowing how much cash is in the hands of stupid people.

marco and Foo2rama like this.
  5. thenameisnando Jan 25, 2019

actually thats a good point, watching both does tell a better story

6. queriver Jan 26, 2019

Watched the Netflix one. It's disappointing to see how many people involved in the "project" seem to have gone along with the deception when they ought to have known what was going on. And, as happens so often, it was the small guys like the labourers on the island who were badly screwed when the schemers didn't pay their wages. Unconscionable. We don't have Hulu so I don't know whether there's another side to the story.

7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 26, 2019

No other “side” of the story other than a few pieces of info, they are mostly the exact same story. You will find the labor on the island was screwed over to a greater extent than shown in the Netflix piece...there are some additional interviews that will make you cry. But I think it also shows that the film crew knew what was going on and should have either walked away or spoken up. The stories are eerily similar, almost identical interviews... but the Hulu piece is made by one of the partners in the production company that left and started his own company so it has some additional insight not shown in the Netflix piece...both though are produced from same perspective and neither is telling us the full story. One thing is clear, Billy is a complete and total scumbag that should be serving a far greater sentence...but who else is complicit?

In case it wasn't clear, the Netflix piece was made by the same production company that made the promotional videos for Fyre...and was most likely heavily involved in more than just that.

Edited Jan 26, 2019
    KingCrouchy, Foo2rama and queriver like this.
  8. thenameisnando Jan 26, 2019

This just blew my mind. I had no idea it was made by the same production company that made the promotional videos. In regards to Billy, it is absolutely mind boggling how a man can be so stupid and continue to try ripping people off even AFTER the Frye incident.

Tophership likes this.
  9. albertob Jan 26, 2019

I did not watch the one on Hulu.

I’ll check that out.

10. hungdangnguyen23 Jan 27, 2019

I'm watching the Netflix one now because of you guys lol.

I remember when this debacle was going down, I was still in my "party/raving" phase and now I've settled down into my "old man watch guy" phase. This is really amusing to see that the fellas of this forum are into this type of stuff haha! It's the biggest car wreck of any event imaginable, and to think the promoter conned so many people is so crazy and amazing at the same time....

11. BenBagbag Jan 27, 2019

The netflix documentary team didn't believe it was ethical to pay him for an interview (director said in an interview with ABC). So when the guy asked for money they just said no to him.

I liked the Netflix one I don't have Hulu.

Foo2rama likes this.
  12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jan 27, 2019

I had seen it a few weeks ago. I watched with my teenage kids last night. Hopefully a class like lesson on the pitfalls of social media. A lesson how not to become a sheep.

13. sdre Jan 27, 2019

Thanks. Added it to my watchlist.

Sidenote, if you guys haven't watched Atypical, please watch it.

14. vbrad26 Jan 28, 2019

Hmm watched the Netflix one last night.
    I'll have to check out the Hulu one.
    I remember when this whole thing went down (back when I still participated in Instagram).
    The marketing was actually great (in a sad way), he was really on to something, too bad he couldn't follow through with it....or maybe it was for the better lol.
    I have no sympathy for the people who follow social media "influencers" like they are gods and will blindly just do whatever they can to "look good for the 'Gram" (the target market)
    Pitiful.

15. ReturnOfUltraman Jan 28, 2019

CajunTiger and Wivac like this.
  16. gdupree Jan 28, 2019

I watched the netflix one last week. The whole story stressed me out so much that I literally lost sleep that night.

The story is mesmerizing and intriguing, but ultimately I kind of feel the same about the film(s) as I do about the vile natures that were portrayed in it. When one shark failed to capitalize on their victims, two more come in to scavenge the profit... I'm sure there are other legitimate validations for the films, and certainly some good has come of it (the gofundme which raised money for the restaurant owner, for instance). I mean, I guess there are no reasons that companies shouldn't profit from it, but it's easy to see why the whole thing starts to feel icky... And all of it because we enjoy witnessing the social gore.

17. Wivac Terribly special Jan 28, 2019

Watched the Netflix doc, fascinating insight to a world of professional online frothers, self validating influencers, and hardly anyone with any self awareness. It seemed to me everything worked 'well' for them right until it had to become a tangible thing, then it all turned into a highly predictable and watchable mess.

I felt very sorry for the lady who ran the bar/ restaurant. She was out thousands due to feeding all the attendees that were trapped there. Think there is a crowdfunder to help her somewhere?

18. queriver May 5, 2019

19. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 5, 2019

Fantastic Documentary. Exploration of the Fyre Festival Fraud should be a marketing course at universities. Greed and excess have their own gravitational pull. A must see doc.