Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 26, 2019

"To be honest, being young and stupid as I was I shouldn't have made it this far."

^This!^

2. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 26, 2019

Great handguns and holsters. I enjoy carrying Detective Special's my favorite holsters for the cobra and det. spl. are from Alessi. The hammer cover has pull through snaps. That is an outstanding feature that I really like. The Cobra is in the owb holster the Detective Special in the iwb Lately I have been carrying the Cobra nice lightweight 6 shooter

2ca.jpg
    noelekal and Mtek like this.
  3. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 26, 2019

My Father passed away when I was sixteen years old. He had a bad heart valve. After that ordeal I never thought I would live past my thirties. When I was young,dumb and full of C*m. I made damn sure I had a good time. Plus I was plenty stupid. However it was fun.

I have been shot a couple times looking back I did plenty of stupid things. Sometimes I wonder how I made it into my forties. From time to time I have to tell my buddies that I grew up with to shut up around my children. And keep the stories between us.

Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  4. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 26, 2019

For 1911's I like this owb holster. As long as I use a good stiff holster belt this holster works great.

20190426_131544.jpg 20190426_131529.jpg
    noelekal, Mtek and MikiJ like this.
  5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 26, 2019

My 1911 is my favorite carry piece. I always carry mine with a round up, hammer back and the thumb safety in place.
    I'm comfortable carrying this way because of the additional grip safety.

Prior to Colt's 80 series there was an issue if the pistol fell with the hammer back a round could discharge. No more :)

voere likes this.
  6. larryganz The cable guy Apr 26, 2019

I used to carry a Kimber compact CDP this way, in an Alessi talon holster. I switched not due to safety concerns of cocked and locked, but because I couldn't get some of my family to be clear on how my single action cocked and locked firearms were different from my double action firearms.

I didn't want to be down or unavailable and have them pick up my firearm in a crisis, and not know about the safety or need to be cocked on one and not the other - so I switched everything to DA on the first shot (whether striker fired or Sig and Beretta DA/SA with hammer down). Now if there is a fight they can pick it up and pull the trigger without thinking about what kind of firearm they have.

But that still leaves the issue of them getting confused after the fight, with my Sig 229 and the hammer de-cocking lever, my Beretta DA/SA 21A with thumb safety and hammer, or my FNS-9 with striker and thumb safety. So those are usually locked up and I only carry my Glock, Kahr, Sig P365, or a revolver.

MikiJ and noelekal like this.
  7. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 26, 2019

Larry

The reasons you mentioned about handgun operation. Around my home I use the KISS theory. Everyone of my family members knows how to use a revolver. that is the handgun of choice for them. Hey if something would to ever happen “God forbid” at least they know how to operate the handgun and are proficient shooting them.

Pistols are another ballgame safety’s, de cockers, de cocker only and such leave a lot to be desired for someone that does not know or understand the functions and operation of the firearm. It complicates the sitsuation.

MikiJ and noelekal like this.
  8. larryganz The cable guy Apr 26, 2019

Like I said, all my carry guns are the ones around the house that they can access, and they are all DA first shot - either striker fired Glock, Kahr, Sig P365 or a revolver such as my 360 PD or S&W 637. No safety or de-cocker to deal with, that's to KISS, and why I got rid of my SA pistols like 1911 models. They all know how to shoot a DA pistol or revolver.

I keep the Sig and Beretta and FNS-9 hidden away and unloaded, but if they needed to use them at least they are all DA first shot, so the main concern would be how they would make them safe after the shooting is over (de-cock or thumb safety). I ask them to always keep their finger out of the trigger guard when not shooting.

9. Wryfox Apr 27, 2019

Sounds like we are brothers. Due to various family health issues, I didn't expect to make it to 40, at least in any way of a good life. So I compressed a whole life into a very short time. It was a hell of a time and alot of fun, though at many points (usually after the fact), I paused and thought...whoa that was stupid. Anyway, now I am well past that point and beginning to suffer those family issues, so I am very very glad to have experienced what I did and still be here, as from now til the day I die I have a full storybook to look back on and smile (and shake my head). I sometimes wish I had more pictures, but then again maybe its better not to have evidence.....:cool:

voere likes this.
  10. boraxman Apr 27, 2019

Yes - Have a few in the safe...HK P2000, Ruger Single Six, Remington 1187 Police, Marlin 39, 30.06...

voere likes this.
  11. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Apr 27, 2019

Safeties on a weapon are double edged sword I would.
    Have the experience of “getting it on” and mates more than once forgot about the safety thought their weapon was malfunctioning. Scary stuff when all you need is a flick of a lever and you panicked. Not enjoyable. That is why a prefer Glock as a sidearm.

voere, MikiJ and Mcvictory like this.
  12. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Apr 27, 2019

I just got my Springfield Armory XD 9mm. California makes getting a firearm a lengthy and somewhat cumbersome process. Fortunately I found a dealer that did a great job of walking me through the process. 85BBC79C-A444-4371-BFC9-1021CC666FBC.jpeg

noelekal, voere, Mtek and 1 other person like this.
  13. Observer I know nothing! Apr 27, 2019

Ooooh, show and tell. I'll play.
    P12-45/Galco IWB
    DSC_8096.jpg

Mtek, noelekal and voere like this.
  14. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 27, 2019

There's an argument that unless you've experienced being shot at then maybe you shouldn't carry a gun.
    I don't necessarily agree with that, but I vividly remember the first time I was fired on. Viet Nam 1969.
    Firing at a person is so much different that firing at a target. God forbid you need to use your gun - Shoot to Kill!

15. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Apr 28, 2019

Speaking for myself I feel double action revolvers are the best choice for my family members to use to protect our loved ones and home. My choice in DA revolvers is the S&W K frame stoked with 38spl wad cutters. Up close the 38spl will do the job it’s intended to do which is stop the aggressors.

Pistols for an inexperienced shooter is not a good choice IMHO. Even though DA pistols can really complicate matters. Things like the magazine may be fully loaded.

However, is a round in the tube/chamber? Under high stress situations even the magazine release may be depressed. Then all bets are off I try to keep things simple. From time to time I may leave an unattended pistol with a full magazine and no round in the chamber. But I always safety check a firearm to find out if it’s loaded or not.

We all have different thoughts on how to best protect our loved ones. Or at the very least give them the tools to protect them self. I would much rather have them dial 911 and not have to resort to firearms for protection. Sometimes that may not be possible. Training is key several times per year we all go out to our family range for safe firearms handling and target shooting.

noelekal, Waltesefalcon and Mtek like this.
  16. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 28, 2019

Agree 100%!

17. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Apr 28, 2019

Have not really shot since getting out of the Navy 25+ years ago. Had a blast shooting with friends yesterday.

Screenshot_20190428-154859.png

voere, noelekal and The Father like this.
  18. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Apr 29, 2019

Plenty of real truths in the above post, but this is maybe the most real...Shoot to Kill!

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  19. 10mmauto Apr 29, 2019

The discussion about carrying a gun can certainly invoke very strong feelings. Therefore I only speak for myself. I am now retired from my primary profession, but when I was working, it included 22 years as a principal firearms instructor for a federal law enforcement agency. I have been carrying one (or more) guns more or less every day for the last 39 years. My preferred method of carry has always been strong side carry in either a belt slide holster or a paddle holster when possible. These days I prefer a kydex paddle holster. In those situations where that is impractical I resort to either an ankle holster or (less preferred) a pocket holster. I've never used an IWB holster. These choices have evolved over time as my mode of dress (suit and sport coats) and the size and weight of the weapons I've carried has changed. Today for my trip to the bank and the hardware store it is an ankle holster.

IMG_2007.JPG

voere likes this.
  20. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ May 2, 2019

Nice rig and M&P

noelekal and 10mmauto like this.