Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. warrydog May 7, 2018

Very Nice!! I had a very old HSc in .32 years ago and foolishly sold it. Very comfortable and reliable.
    Beautiful watch also..

Mtek likes this.
  2. tikkathree May 8, 2018

Here am I in the woods deerstalking at first light with my Tikka M590 in .243 tmp-cam--247135756.jpg

3. Professor May 8, 2018

I guess my Benrus alongside my 1920's Hand ejector would be a good match.

Best sort of gentleman's pocket collection would be a pocket pistol, a pocket knife and a pocket watch, all of the same period if not from the same country.

In which case my Ingraham pocket watch along with the S&W Hand Ejector and my ancient Camilus pocket knife would make for a set.

noelekal and Mtek like this.
  4. Waltesefalcon May 8, 2018

I had an HsC a few years ago, I thought I'd like it but wound up trading it for a nice Pietta 1858 Remington clone. I liked the heft of it but didn't like the size of the grips to get a good hold on it it was biting me with ever single shot.

Mtek likes this.
  5. Waltesefalcon May 24, 2018

I picked up this old Winchester at a pawn shop the other day, it was pretty abused so I decided to make it my own. I refinished the stocks and then decided I was feeling my heritage just a tad and added the furniture tack decorations. I am waiting on a new hood for the front sight and I have requested a Lyman no. 2 peep sight for Father's day. I think I'll take it deer hunting this fall.

Winchester 1.jpg Winchester 2.jpg Winchester 3.jpg
  6. Mtek May 24, 2018

Waltesefalcon and MikiJ like this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 24, 2018

Most common round for a Winchester Saddle Gun.

8. Wryfox May 25, 2018

Been away on business for a few weeks but back now with an interesting piece I traded a neighbor for a couple years ago.

It's a 1720s Indian Wall Gun, and is a Matchlock muzzleloader.

87 inches long, 66 inch barrel. Over 20lbs as it sits. (compare to 300year newer rifle below it)

Three Quarter Bore (.775in)

A Matchlock was the common design prior to Flintlock, and is a very simple arrangement. The 'match' being a burning ember held in the V at the tip of the match holder.

See from the pics that actuating the trigger simply moves the match holder towards the flash pan and then whoosh! a flash of smoke that blinds everyone around you, and hopefully scares someone on the other end to run away (or worse of course) and stop attacking.

These were used as mid range fort defense, supported in the middle on a pintle or cradle, and placed in a firing aperture at or near the top of the defensive walls around the fort. Designed for 300-600yds, ie farther than smaller arms, bows or grenades...and before cannons (600yd+)

This one was used to defend the Old City of Jaipur in northern India from the 1720s on.
    20180525_153453.jpg IMG_3974.JPG IMG_3988.JPG IMG_4001.JPG

Edited May 25, 2018
  9. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since May 25, 2018

I have enough guns now that I decided to move on to collecting some vintage watches

10. Professor May 25, 2018

Nice work.
    Years ago I could have bought a very rusty example of a Plains Indian cut down musket with copper tack decorations for only $60 USD.
    It was in a barrel with a number of old rusty rifles of various types. It may have been used as a motion picture prop but apparently was an original Native American gun. You can't really fake that kind of wear and tear.
    May have gone through Bannermans at some point.

It was carbine size and its barrel was worn to an oversized smoothbore and caked with old black powder fouling.
    Looked like the only lube it ever got had been animal fat. The lock still worked and the very worn nipple was clear of debris, no doubt it could have been fired with a light load and proper sized un patched ball.
    The horseback reloading method was to guesstimate a powder charge from a flask then spit an undersized ball carried in the rider's mouth down the muzzle, which the very short barrel made easy enough. Don't know how they handled the cap, with flintlock versions an oversized touch hole let powder from the chamber fill the pan.
    They carried the gun muzzle high till ready to fire so the loose fitting ball didn't roll out.
    The Sling swivel, which carbines of the day never had, still had a very bedraggled feather hanging from it mounted in a decorative winding of some sort.

Waltesefalcon, Wryfox and noelekal like this.
  11. Waltesefalcon May 28, 2018

Yes sir. I figured that since I'm divorced i needed to replace my trusty old deer rifle with a new one.

Mtek likes this.
  12. Waltesefalcon May 28, 2018

Thank you I just got a wild hair while I was refinishing the stock. That is a cool find, it would have made for a great wall hanger. Many times plains Indians would use these cut down midgets as hide out guns carried under their blankets. Often they'd be loaded with shot rather than ball.

13. Wryfox May 28, 2018

I am living proof you can do both...come to the dark side
    You and I both know you don't need a reason, but having one is nice.

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  14. Waltesefalcon May 28, 2018

When I was married I sold off most of my guns, at one point getting down to only having my great granddad's 1911 and my .50 t/c Hawken. I'm just now getting back in the groove of things am back up to having a few guns.

noelekal likes this.
  15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since May 28, 2018

D5751E57-BA3B-4718-8232-02458D26A041.jpeg
    Since this seems to shift towards the different.......
    300WM custom

Have assload load of Glocks and 5.56/.308 AR’s and then this beast

Now that I am on the beta-blockers the scope work has improved

Ranger230, Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  16. Wryfox May 29, 2018

Now that's what I call "concealed carry".:thumbsup:

larryganz, efauser and Waltesefalcon like this.
  17. AQBill May 29, 2018

Gun safes are getting full but I have a lot more room in them for nice watches... My relatively recent interest in watches was spurred on with the eBay purchase of a relatively inexpensive 1940s vintage Omega bumper. Now I'm entering a steep learning curve with a particular interest in 1950s- and 1960s-vintage Omega watches.

noelekal likes this.
  18. Wryfox May 29, 2018

Watches do have a much higher "collection density" than guns. ie you don't have to stash a watch under the bed so the wife doesn't notice(...nervously looks over shoulder).

Waltesefalcon and noelekal like this.
  19. 10mmauto May 29, 2018

Here's one I assembled myself.... New Upper 2.JPG

noelekal, Ranger230 and Mtek like this.
  20. 10mmauto May 29, 2018

And if I were to go hunting, this is what I'd take - the upper one. It is a 45/70. Bottom one is a .30/30. 1895SBL and 336BL.JPG