Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 28, 2023

OOOooo... In .41 Magnum no less, a special handgun cartridge!

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  2. Waltesefalcon Oct 29, 2023

.41 Magnum is also one that's hard to find reloading supplies for as well. I checked everywhere for brass, with no luck. I checked for .41 caliber bullets with no luck. I broke down and bought two boxes of HSM, and was happy to see they were loaded in Starline brass. I may just locate a mould and cast my own bullets for it. I have plenty of lead at the moment. I also need to find some decent dies.

noelekal likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 29, 2023

I’ve always enjoyed shooting but have refrained from owning anything more powerful than a target pellet pistol. So last month a buddy of mine invited me to go shoot his mostly unused Glock 19. We first went through an hour of classroom instruction, safety, grip, breathing, sighting, cleaning etc. and then an hour on the indoor range with the instructor. In addition to the G19, I rented a 1911 design which is what I’m familiar with. No one should buy a gun without going through such instruction. I was much better than the last time I’d fired a Browning 1911 9mm back in NJ 23 years ago. Last week I rented a G34 which I liked very much. My application is in for a FOID Card. I’m all in. Now do I go with a 1911 or the G34 once approved? I like the multiple safeties, accuracy and the heft of the 1911 but the G34 seems to deliver at a lighter weight.

noelekal likes this.
  4. Waltesefalcon Oct 29, 2023

Personally, I would opt for a 1911. That opinion is simply based on my familiarity with the platform. I like the heft, the grip angle, and the trigger. The 1911 is one of the most naturally pointing handguns I've ever used, and my ability to shoot one accurately is pretty much unmatched with any other design.

Larry S and noelekal like this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 29, 2023

I never can keep up with the various Glock model numbers so looked up the Model 34.

[​IMG]
    Yeah, for sheer shooting enjoyment, that would be the best Glock model in the best caliber for the range in my view. I'm probably one of the few who doesn't gravitate to the compact pistols.

Oh yes, I'm all about the 1911 gun! Here's the favorite of the several 1911-guns on hand here, a 1967 vintage Colt Government Model.
    [​IMG]

Wryfox and Larry S like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 29, 2023

That Colt is a beauty.

7. Waltesefalcon Oct 29, 2023

Oh, I didn't think to show off. Here's my 1969 Colt National Match built by Karl Beining. 20221013_145328.jpg

Wryfox, ArchAngel and noelekal like this.
  8. ArchAngel Oct 29, 2023

Agree that the 1911 is about the best fitting/most comfortable pistol in the hand.
    Believed this for a couple decades...until...Sig made the P365XL.
    Different platforms, meaning that the 1911 is hammer fired, single action only, with multiple safeties - vs - the Sig that is striker fired and no manual safeties (although an option).
    But...the Sig XL has a flush fitting magazine, flared magazine well, extended beavertail frame, straight trigger, and cut for a Romeo Red Dot optic. Plus the magazine drops free. And across the P365 platform, various components can be swapped. Meaning the ported barrel/slide from a SAS will mate with the XL frame and vis versa. Add in the capacity capabilities and it is certainly worth a "review".

Edited Oct 31, 2023
  9. watchthinker Oct 30, 2023

Do any of you pistol shoot for sport? I've been skeet and trap shooting a few times with friends and really enjoyed it. But some form of competitive pistol shooting might be fun? Is it? Does it exist?

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 30, 2023

Your wish is our command.

The NRA is not the big bug-a-boo that the mainstream media makes it out to be. Much competitive shooting is promoted, governed, and sponsored by the NRA which is something they've done since 1871. Defense of Second Amendment Constitutional rights was a side show that has since assumed greater importance out of necessity.

https://competitions.nra.org/

https://www.ipsc.org/ipsc/

I prefer Precision Pistol over the "combat" oriented competitive handgun events. Once termed "Bulls Eye, " Precision Pistol is more exacting and focuses on extreme accuracy rather than the "spray and pray" of so called "Action" shooting games. I've dabbled in both for years and prefer the handguns and focus of Precision Pistol.

But, then I'm a geezer.

Edited because I typed this out on a phone and without benefit of reading glasses.

Edited Oct 30, 2023
    Wryfox, ghce and Waltesefalcon like this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Oct 30, 2023

I haven't shot competitively in years, but as a kid I shot bullseye (precision pistol) and was halfway decent at it. I started off shooting single gun competition with a Ruger standard and worked my way up to a three gun competition. It was a lot of fun, I haven't even thought about competing in the past twenty years or so.

noelekal likes this.
  12. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Dec 18, 2023

Why the Swiss Love Their Guns (more than Americans)

Interesting insight into the differences but also into Swiss culture.

Archer likes this.
  13. RLC Dec 18, 2023

It might have been different if the Swiss had to conquer a vast wilderness and indenture the original inhabitants. Without an 'organized militia' to control the lawlessness, the birth of the 'gun that won the West' emerged. Whoever had the most guns won. No organized militia was involved.

14. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Dec 18, 2023

Feel better?

64Wing likes this.
  15. Waltesefalcon Dec 18, 2023

Indenture, huh? That's a really interesting way of saying that European settlers committed genocide.

16. CBM1590 We don’t rent pigs. Dec 18, 2023

The Glock 34 is a long slide 9mm and is a shooter for sure. I have a stable full of various Glocks and I carry a G19 daily. My 34 is special because it was given to me by my PD when I retired as Mayor and they knew I was going to the police academy. It is my duty weapon when I do police work. It’ll flat run if you do your part.

IMG_2872.jpeg
    noelekal likes this.
  17. pdxleaf Often mistaken for AI... Dec 18, 2023

It's an interesting point. Not sure if you made it through the whole video but he discusses what you noted. It's certainly a noteworthy and impactful distinction.

18. 64Wing Dec 18, 2023

I'm here for the 1911s

pdxleaf, noelekal and Waltesefalcon like this.
  19. lindo Dec 18, 2023

My eldest son took up my decades long obsession with pistol shooting a while back, and decided to buy this Springfield 9mm, which he loves to shoot. It has the dimensions of the 1911, but seems heftier to me - in a very nice way.

The 1911 knife was a gift from me a long time ago.

IMG_5992 2.jpeg

20. Pastorbottle Dec 18, 2023

I used to have a Springfield it was my favourite