Forums Latest Members

So... any of our members here have an interest in firearms?

1. SkunkPrince Aug 9, 2020

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 9, 2020

"Cover fire?" As in laying down covering fire?

I just gotta attach a measure of responsibility to each bullet expended and could not bring myself to strive for anything less than surgical precision. Perhaps I'm one who won't be livin' until the next day, but in my "Walter Mitty" self-defense fantasies, my mind rebels at the notion of "bullets into the background," covering fire, suppressive fire.

I only have a little pea brain, but if I think about it too much I find that I can't really see any difference in holstering a fully loaded Glock or similar and simply holstering a loaded 1911 with one cartridge "up the spout" and with the safety firmly off.

"Hey, as long as you keep your finger off the bang switch ... "

Isn't that how the DAO trigger with the dingle-berry in its center is justified?

If correct as it applies to Glock and Co. then it ought to be applicable to the 1911 loaded and off safety. After all, simply keep you finger off the trigger.

I've been delighted with the six or seven shot capacity of my chosen side arms for decades. I actually carry revolvers most often, having both single-action and double-action capabilities. Is my attitude about DAO automatics hypocritical?

Who knows?!

voere and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. Paulomega Aug 9, 2020

Having an eye there is not a bad idea - "look before you enter"

voere and Waltesefalcon like this.
  4. SkunkPrince Aug 9, 2020

It might amuse to know that John Browning originally desgined the Model of 1910 without a manual safety.

5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 9, 2020

Yes, you are right SkunkPrince. Ordnance Department dictates resulted in the safety configuration with which we are familiar.

OOOooo ... appendix carry!

Scares me! I want to keep all my bits. I'm especially not tough enough to carry a Glock in such a fashion.

I don't always carry a single action revolver, but when I do it's a Colt.
    [​IMG]

3 1/2-inch N-Frame Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum in a newly acquired custom made and hand tooled holster patterned after the Brill holster made famous in the mid 20th century by the Texas Rangers and other lawmen of the Southwest.
    [​IMG]

Inside the waistband? Gotta be just behind the right hip bone for me. Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel in a Bell Charter Oak "Mae West" model IWB holster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 1911s, when carried IWB are served in the same way. Here's a custom Rafter S IWB holster made for full-sized 1911s by Della Shafer who died tragically young. I don't tote a World War II Remington Rand military contract 1911A1 which is only for illustration.

[​IMG]

6. Waltesefalcon Aug 9, 2020

On the topic of capacity and self defense. Spray and pray seems to me to be a terrible self defense strategy. If I wind up in a firefight I don't want to be throwing more lead into a store, neighborhood, parking lot, etc. than I need to. That just seems like a good way to wind up committing a negligent homicide. I'd rather exercise judicious fire in order to minimize the chances of shooting a bystander.

voere, Paulomega, MikiJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. 64Wing Aug 10, 2020

THIS

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  8. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 16, 2020

Anyone carry different handguns from time to time?

Back to one of my old favorite carry guns. Several times per year I switch my carry handguns. That way I stay familiar with them. The other day I installed a wolff spring kit in the HP cleaned up the holster and good to go. Today I had the HP at the range she never missed a beat ran 200 rounds through the hp without issue. I do love a 1911 but the HP is hard to beat.

20200816_153751.jpg
    Waltesefalcon likes this.
  9. SkunkPrince Aug 16, 2020

I have carried a full-size 1911 in the past but got a S&W M&P Shield EZ 9. Similar to a 1911 in its controls as I got the thumb safety model, but weighs a lot less, so summertime might better.

voere likes this.
  10. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Aug 16, 2020

Nice. That is what I would call slappin leather.
    On a side note, of course you check your background before letting loose a round. If there is a clear field and a need to extricate myself, a mag dump or two will happen. Ain’t carrying these extra mags for the fun of it was the saying.

Edited Aug 16, 2020
    noelekal likes this.
  11. Timetron Aug 16, 2020

Talking about silencers and bug out pieces... The Sub2000 CQB has an integrated silencer. Currently only available on order. Of course you have to pay for the corresponding Tax stamp too.

Keltec Sub2000 CQB folded.JPG

Keltec Sub2000 CQB.JPG

Edited Aug 16, 2020
  12. Timetron Aug 16, 2020

And the Steyr S9-A1 for concealed carry...

Styer A9-S1.jpg

Thrasher36, warrydog, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 16, 2020

I'm too much of a fogey to hold a proper regard for any plastic pistol, yet for some reason that Steyr has intrigued me for some time now.

14. Timetron Aug 16, 2020

The factory trigger (very nice reset) is outstanding and the ergonomics too. Recoil very low. Target acquisition with the triangular sights is very fast once you get used to it.

Edited Aug 16, 2020
    Wryfox likes this.
  15. Timetron Aug 16, 2020

One more reason to love the State of Florida!

This one is custom made.

Stngr.jpg

To clarify: No silencer, just a Dead Air Flash Hider and Pyro system.

My stealth looking CW C60 Trident Titanium Pro 600 to go with it

IMG_0122[1].JPG

IMG_0128[1].JPG

Edited Aug 18, 2020
    Thrasher36 and The Father like this.
  16. Timetron Aug 17, 2020

Blade Runner_Ad.JPG

Always liked the Blade Runner Blaster prop...

Blade Runner Blaster_pic2.JPG

Thrasher36 and Wetworks like this.
  17. Wetworks Aug 18, 2020

So, I finally got my authorization to purchase, and I am still leaning towards the Beretta PX4 for a smaller EDC (presently have a 92 and a SW 64 3"). I would like a couple of other recommendations should my first choice be unavailable.

Also, I anticipate buying an AR type of rifle at some point soon (have a Mossberg shotty already) and would welcome any and all recommendations there as I am new to long guns. Figure a budget sub $800 USD is a fair number (I think).

18. Timetron Aug 18, 2020

I can recommend the PX4 Storm Sub Compact for concealed carry. I used to have one and sold it to fund a watch project but I miss her.

Bereta PX4 Sub compact.JPG

Bereta PX4 Sub compact_2.JPG

Bereta PX4 Sub compact_3.JPG

Thrasher36, noelekal and Wetworks like this.
  19. Waltesefalcon Aug 18, 2020

Authorization to purchase? Where are you from?

20. Wetworks Aug 18, 2020

NYC, retired LEO. Dems the rules, even with a retired pistol carry. ::censored::::screwloose::