Forums Latest Members

SMPc movement question (winding issue after Omega service)

1. PowerChucker Dec 5, 2019

Hi guys, I bought a Black SMPc used in June, it was kind of beat up and running very slow. since the watch was purchased new in Nov 2018(by the original owner), I sent it to the NJ Omega service center, for free under warranty they did a complete movement service (2500d), and re finished the case and bracelet beautifully! it looks brand new! in addition, I paid them to replace the crystal (the outer AR was scuffed bad), and to replace the entire ceramic bezel assmbly, (it was scratches and looked bad), overall this cost me about $800.
    i sent it in in July, and got it back in late September, it had been regulated to +1spd, and was looking and running great!
    I dont wear it very much, its part of a 10 watch rotation, so i can go 3+ weeks without wearing it, so yesterday i wore it, i wound it up to get it running so i could set the date and time, however, when i tried to hand wind it, it was very hard to wind, and the rotor would spin very fast as i tried to wind it.
    this has never happened before, and now im scared it might be damaged.
    what so you think this could be? and should it go back to Omega again for more warranty work?
    thanks for your help everyone!

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 5, 2019

This is a symptom of the reversing wheel not properly disengaging when hand winding happens. It can happen if the reversing wheel is worn out, dirty, or improperly lubricated. I would not hand wind the watch while this is happening, as the manual winding parts were not designed to carry the loads associated with spinning the heavy rotor around.

Your best recourse is sending it back...

Cheers, Al

PowerChucker likes this.
  3. PowerChucker Dec 6, 2019

Archer, thank you so much for that helpful info! I had a feeling it would have to go back, but I didnt want to accept it, but now that you have confirmed my fears, I guess ill have to schedule another spay day at Omega.. at this point it will have spent more time with Omega than with me since I bought it. ugh.,,

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 6, 2019

Mistakes happen, I've had to send watches back to the service center because things didn't work right. It's inconvenient but you have humans doing the work and humans are fallible.

Tom

PowerChucker likes this.
  5. PowerChucker Dec 6, 2019

Hi Tom, yeah i accept that, im not the type to get all angry and yell, and complain about much of anything. im just bummed because my first "luxury" watch experience hasnt been too good. i just want it to be right so i can enjoy it. all in i spent about $3,700 on this watch, for me that a lot! ive owned over 150 watches so far, but this is the most expensive one to date. ill contact the service center and set up a shipment to them again.

6. Claven2 Dec 6, 2019

If it is something they did wrong, they will likely cover it.

7. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Dec 6, 2019

They always have for me.

But, I have never sent directly. I let my local jeweler/Rolex dealer/watchmaker-staffed place handle it, and the watchmaker I have the relationship with always checks out what gets returned and if it's not right, he handles it. They might tell a citizen to get bent, but they sure as hell won't tell another watchmaker that.

Not necessarily appropriate in your case, but for others reading, something to consider.

Tom