Forums Latest Members

SMP bezel stuck and won't move

1. omegalover123 Feb 3, 2017

Hi guys, a little question

I have a SMP Bond, around 12 years old. The bezel was super hard to move. I washed it with warm water but didn't help. Finally I decided to remove the bezel and clean it good inside. I used a Bergeon tool to remove it, there was a lot of dirt underneath it. I cleaned it good, lubricated it a bit and tried to put it back. As soon as it click there is absolutely no movement from the bezel. Doesn't move at all. What can the problem be? Thank you

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2017

What condition was the click spring in?

3. omegalover123 Feb 3, 2017

Click spring is not broken, it's complete. Still elastic. A lot of dirt inside. I removed it and cleaned it completely. After few tries I put in silicon grease just to see if lubrication was the issue. But didn't help.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2017

Did you remove the bezel spring and clean out the bezel groove as well as the case?

Are you sure it's fully seated? Are there any burrs on the surface of the case the bezel rides on? Did you bend the bezel taking it off, or putting it on?

Not a complicated part, so there's only so much that can be wrong, and it should be pretty obvious...

5. omegalover123 Feb 3, 2017

Yes I took the bezel spring out and cleaned it as well.

It seats properly, when I press it inside it goes all the way to the bottom, on the side there is no space left (it doesn't stick or anything like that) but it's impossible to rotate it.

I can check for damage but I don't think I bent it, I used a bergeon 7052

I will make some photos to show

6. omegalover123 Feb 3, 2017

Here are some photos. It seems to me once I press it just a little bit, it will rotate, but once it clicks deep that no chance of moving it at all

I put the bezel assembly on the desk and it doesn't seem to be bent at all

7. omegalover123 Feb 3, 2017

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 3, 2017

Photos are out of focus, so it's hard to see much...maybe take them again and back up a bit - the bench is in focus so it looks like you are too close.

9. omegalover123 Feb 5, 2017

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 5, 2017

Other than being quite dirty, nothing jumps out at me. So to ask the obvious, you are trying to turn it the right way? So counterclockwise?

I would pay particular attention to the groove inside the bezel where the bezel spring sits - make sure it's absolutely clean. The make sure that the case is spotless. All it takes is one large grain of something to jam it up. Also check the underside of the bezel for damage to the teeth there.

11. omegalover123 Feb 5, 2017

Yes I tried to turn it both ways and it won't go anywhere. Its stuck won't move at all, as if it was glued.

Before it was super dirty and it was possible to turn it (albeit difficult) and at the moment it's after I cleaned it. I will give another good clean. It might look dirtier that it actually is because the photos are done with macro lense.

I will try that and come back with result

Thank you Archer