SMP 300 and the perils of desk driving.

I recently noticed a significant amount of wear on the bracelet of my Seamaster SMP 300, see below. I put it down to having come into contact with something abrasive while out sailing or doing some other manly activity. I have worn the watch more or less exclusively from 2016 to 2021 until I started adding to my collection. My day job is pretty much a desk jockey, furiously typing away on a keyboard, so now I have come to the conclusion that wooden desks are a lot more abrasive than I would have thought. Anyone else experience this level of wear on a steel watch bracelet from something as mundane as typing😀. It genuinely doesn't bother me, I think the definition is kinda cool, just a bit deflated that it didn't happen charging across the oceans sideways in 40 knots of wind😜
IMG_20220702_134959.jpg

Is your desk made of sandpaper?
You would think that but no, just your ordinary faux wood common office desk. I honestly can't think of any other reason, I think I would remember if I had my wrist dragged across a sander / grinder. It's a bit odd.

You would think that but no, just your ordinary faux wood common office desk. I honestly can't think of any other reason, I think I would remember if I had my wrist dragged across a sander / grinder. It's a bit odd.
Yes, the modern plastics are very abrasive. I used a "desk protector" made of clear, soft plastic to keep my watches from getting scratched.

Yes, the modern plastics are very abrasive. I used a "desk protector" made of clear, soft plastic to keep my watches from getting scratched.
I would never have thought that this would be the case, but it clearly is. A protector sounds like a good idea, or indeed, just stop wearing it at my desk. Thanks

I usually take my watch off when I'm working on a desk, and put it in a small leather tray for easy viewing

The same thing has happened to my bracelet. Amazing what lots of tiny bits of contact on the desk over a few years can do… now I have a leather strap

I’ve seen similar wear and tear on the links of a bartender’s TAG Heuer. He said it came from years of sliding drinks across a granite countertop to customers.

I never imagined a wood desk would do the same thing!

Luckily though for modern (well, any, but it’s more of a faux pas with vintage) watches the factory will polish bracelets up very nicely at service time for no extra cost - you’ve just got to remember to include the bracelet on the watch when you send it in/drop it off

I am honestly shocked at the amount of wear that caused. It’s honest use and nothing wrong with it.. just surprising