Forums Latest Members
  1. littlesheep81 Apr 3, 2016

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 3, 2016

This.

In a very short time, Auctionata has established an absolutely abysmal reputation for poor vetting of lots, misleading descriptions and poor responsiveness to customer complaints. The only thing they haven't done is photoshop their images, but they don't need to since their images are routinely overexposed and appear taken from an aircraft flying low above the lot. I also super-appreciate the image of the buckle of the replacement strap on their lots in place of, say, a macro of the dial, movement, or hell, even the inside of the caseback.

The one you point out seems overpolished but otherwise OK. I won't commit myself on those images though.

3. mr.kaplan Apr 3, 2016

Also when you ask them for more pictures they answer they haven't but you can always return the watch if you don't like it.

Egatdagi and littlesheep81 like this.
  4. rolokr Apr 3, 2016

It's VERY simple to take pictures ?????
    I would avoid there auctions, you would do much better on THIS website !!!!

littlesheep81 likes this.
  5. bill5959 Apr 3, 2016

As a victim, stay away. You will find better watches and not have the bad feeling something is going wrong.

6. littlesheep81 Apr 13, 2016

So out of curiosity I went online last night to see the Vintage Watches auction being run "live"... What a joke! Basically only 10% of the stuff sold and most of it went on "conditional knockdown". Tackily run auctions and highly suspect timepieces. Thanks all for the advice. After seeing it for myself, it only confirms just how awful it is....

7. x3no Apr 13, 2016

If all that doesn't keep you away, there's always the .. almost 30% .. added premium, then another 3% or so for "shipping". THAT keeps me away, even if I see a perfect piece that I know is all correct, for sale. ::censored:: that!

8. Mlafra Apr 14, 2016

They are pretty bad, I agree, and often times they don't know what they are talking about: wrong/poor descriptions, wrong dating, poor pictures.... that being said if you really do your homework and are a little bit lucky sometimes you get pretty good watches at decent prices...definitively cheaper than if you bought the exact same watch from Christie's or Antiquorum or a reputable dealer.
    But at your own risk! I bought from them in the past but I knew their description was wrong for example...

9. dragoman Apr 14, 2016

I just can't understand the logic behind their pricing:

A watch goes unbid at a starting price, let's say 1000 euros. A few days after the auction, that same watch is put for sale at the shop... at 3000 euros!!

And no, it was not a Panerai...

keywerd likes this.
  10. aap Apr 14, 2016

I love Auctionata! I bought a watch there before and I learned so much from the experience! I learned how to source out replacements for a non-working chrono pusher and a heavily scratched up crystal. I learned from my watchmaker what the incabloc does because he explained to me what a damaged one can do to a watch. See, you guys don't get it. Auctionata is great. They do these things so you learn about watches!

11. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 14, 2016

Well if a watch that I like is in acceptable condition for the price and the dealer or auction house is known for sending their product to the person who bought the product then I don't care who I buy from. I go into every vintage watch purchase with low expectations on their functioning.

12. bristnj Apr 14, 2016

Strokes! Their "watch expert" bought a piece from me on eBAY via a Buy It Now. I had to open a case because he wasn't paying and was non-responsive. When I finally was able to close the case (after 4 days.....more than a week total) and sell the watch to someone else, he emails me saying, "I just went to pay you and now I cannot". The watch was very rare, and I ended-up selling to a nice member here, and glad I did. They have a horrid reputation it appears on both the buying and selling side of things............

Mark020 likes this.
  13. tmw57 Apr 15, 2016

Avoid these yo-yo's like the plague. Last year I bought an expensive Longines 13zn chrono from them. I was assured and re-assured prior to purchase that the dial was all original and NOT refinished. Also assured that the hands were original to the watch.

When the watch arrived it was a joke. Poorly refinished dial and non-original hands. Auctionata treated me with suspicion, like a criminal, and asked me to send the watch to Longines for evaluation before they would consider a refund. I explained to them that if they did indeed have a "watch expert" on staff, as they had claimed in prior communication to me, then it was only a matter of said "expert" looking at the watch with a loupe. Nothing subtle about the poor redial.

Finally they acquiesced and allowed me to return it to them. It took a while before they reached the conclusion that the dial was indeed refinished.
    Then more time before being issued a refund.

Overall a 5 month pain-in-the-*ss that I hope to never repeat with any auction house.

I should note that a few years ago I purchased a watch from an old German auction house that was mistakenly mis-represented They could not have been more apologetic or helpful. True professionals. A pre-paid mailer was instantly sent to me to return the watch and my money was returned within days.

Shame on you Auctionata!!

This is the post about my Auctionata experience:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/longines-13-zn-18k-chrono-with-poorly-refinished-dial.32293/

Edited Apr 17, 2016
    George.A, Mark020 and littlesheep81 like this.
  14. dragoman Apr 15, 2016

I was following one of their blunders, but having seen their contumacy, I give up. They are beyond belief. I can only muster

Deliver me, oh lord, from this confederacy of dunces and their nefarious ways, and I shall let'em know what those Dennis' alu-bats are good for.

A stainless steel caseback, Auctionata style:

[​IMG]

But they are so out of this world that not even the Midas touch make their offers worth a try.

GuiltyBoomerang, Mark020 and ELV web like this.
  15. Kwijibo Apr 20, 2016

I also had problem with Auctionata. Their watch "expert" are very often giving inacurate or wrong description. I won a auction on a JLC Atmos. They gave a year of production that had nothing to see with the serial number. I told them to cancel, they threatened men. After exchanging several emails, they eventually admit their mistake and cancelled. They really are not serious for me.
    @dragoman : incredible! how can an auction house dare showing that.

16. Xeer Jun 16, 2016

as a victim myself. NEVER buy from Auctionata.

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 20, 2016

a site that cannot be bothered to take decent pictures and sells obvious franken watches is to be avoided.

18. Diabolik Jun 21, 2016

Prices achieved by their lots defy logic. I smell a rat !

image.jpeg

19. Pacha Aug 30, 2016

wow - what a horrible auction house. Bought a vintage (non UG) worldtimer described as fully functioning. Luckily went in to pick up myself and lo and behold the worldtimer function wasn't working. The in-house "expert" then (after the auction) finally decided the watch works, but the worldtimer function is missing a piece and thus does not. "Fully functioning"
    Should have read here first.....

20. tmw57 Aug 30, 2016

Recently they were selling a nice looking Tissot world timer from the 50's. Only thing they didn't mention was the missing bezel!
    This was pointed out to them and they added this bit of information (to their credit) several hours before the auction began...
    I cannot begin to understand how this slipped by their watch "expert"

Once again: AVOID