Forums Latest Members

Smart watches keep making progress... (discussion)

1. jsalasrush Mar 8, 2017

I'm intrigued by the garming fénix 5 and dying to see the tag heuer connected 2.

I mostly use smart watches for excersise. I own first gen allele watch. But everyday it keeps getting less wrist time. Hoping a new addition to the segment would trigger a buy that would be perfect work workouts and aesthetically.

Has a smart watch crept into your wrist? Or still waiting ?

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  2. Uniqez Mar 8, 2017

I'm using Galaxy Gear s2 by Samsung for:
    Exercising, track my sleep, alarm, mp3 player while in the GYM, track my water intake,etc.

1488986824250.jpeg

Do I keep it whole day on the wrist-NO, but I have it in my bag all the time.
    Really good tool if you into exercising and healthy life style.
    Would it replace a regular watch- never.

3. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 8, 2017

No and not really.

However, when smartwatches can sustain a charge for, say, perhaps >72 hours and not need tethering to a smartphone for full cellular networking and computation, then I'll look at them again. (I do think that's going to happen, and given Apple's leverage, probably a lot sooner than we'd all expect.)

Just me: when I'm doing cardio, I want as little as possible in contact with my skin. This includes any form of watch, period. I even prefer to leave my mobile phone at home. I even resent having to carry a key with me. ;)

What I do have, and absolutely love, is one of the older Fitbits that clips to my pants' pocket. A single charge goes around 2+ weeks, synchs well with my phone, and it's proven itself to me with over 2 years of daily use. Love the thing! But even as much as I love it, I don't want it on my wrist. Form factor for what it is, for what I want it do (only fitness tracking, never for time telling or other apps) is perfect.

Back to Apple Watch -- if it did everything it does but could hold a charge say a week and not need to be married to an iPhone, then it would be a product line unto itself and would be a true game changer. As it stands today, it's a dumb terminal that needs nightly feeding. Personally, not interested.

4. b-16707 Mar 8, 2017

no. until they figure out unlimited power.

unless someone makes a smartwatch + mechanical watch all in one. Then ill be intrigued.

5. Uniqez Mar 8, 2017

Apple is a bit behind the game. Gear S2 I have is independent device, has an eSim card and power by dual core 1GHz CPU, has wi-fi and GPS. Battery life still not at 72 hours, but I can get about 30 hours of mixed usage.

marcn likes this.
  6. Uniqez Mar 8, 2017

Nuclear powered smart watch perhaps?[emoji2]

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 8, 2017

I went to the OB yesterday to get a new battery for my watch (60$). The sales guy told me my X-33 was better than a smart watch, as it had the same functionality.

Who am I to disagree, I drink the Speedy Kool-Aid they are serving.

upload_2017-3-8_8-10-27.png

Riviera Paradise and jsalasrush like this.
  8. jsalasrush Mar 8, 2017

Supposedly the new tag heuer will be swapable between mechanical and smart. I'm very interested to see what happens with that.

9. lillatroll Mar 8, 2017

My wife has one for running. She loves it for the functions it performs. Personally I like single function devices. I feel that a camera is best for taking photos. Stereo for listening to music and a watch for telling the time etc. I don't think I am tempted to buy a smart watch.

noelekal and cvrle1 like this.
  10. MRTMan Mar 8, 2017

I've been following along, I have an Apple Watch, Suunto and the Garmin Fenix 5 on pre-order. Smart watches intrigue me. For me my priorities are battery life, and functions available without a smartphone. Such as barometer, altimeter, compass, full mapping (Fenix 5x). It's almost to me like having a ABC watch like my Tissot T-Touch but with a nice colour screen. Having an actual screen allows for detailed charts that can maximise the full screen potential and switch back to the time function afterwards. With messaging and notifications, I don't feel any signficent improvement on my life. The screen is really too small for messaging. Though it is 'useful' on my Apple Watch for a quick glance.

Smart watches for me are a disposal item and follow the typical life cycle as with most technology. For this reason I don't get the same feeling as when I put on a beautiful swiss made auto or mechanical watch. These watches make me feel good about myself when they are on my wrist. The smart watch for me is more of a tool.

11. b-16707 Mar 8, 2017

At least manual wind =D.

"Swappable"? I have to look this new tag up. Their first smartwatch was too much smartwatch looking for me.

yesss!!!

12. hmmmcamu Apr 17, 2017

mmm for me a SMART WATCH is a Vintage time piece .. that as it gets older the more value it holds both as a testament to mans mind and artistic talent [mechanical watch movement] ... and financial return for the fortunate collector who owns the piece .. that is a SMART watch

13. kkt Apr 17, 2017

Not really eager. I'd need much better battery life, like multiple years, before I'd even consider it. If a watch does something, it should do it well; the barometer/altimeter, tide, temperature, distance traveled functions I've seen all pretty much suck. Gimmicks, not good enough to replace non-toy versions of those functions. That said, there are some things I might be interested in having a smart watch do that you can't get in any watch now that I've seen.

14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 17, 2017

No smart watches around here creeping onto my wrist.

I'll happily live out the remainder of my life without them.

15. alam Jun 26, 2018

and reaching out more applications such as those designed for Golf enthusiasts - a few being offered by TomTom, Garmin, and Bushnell - I must pay close attention next time to those playing golf and see if they are wearing any of of these..

:)

Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 6.52.33 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 6.53.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 6.57.55 AM.png
  16. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Jun 27, 2018

Very light and kinda cool

23529C16-378F-4357-B891-BE66CAF39106.jpeg
  17. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2018

I'm firmly in the still waiting camp, and will be forever. :taunt: :p

....at least until my smart watch syncs with the chip I'll eventually be fitted with, so I can be connected all the time without the use of any other devices.

18. nttisch23 Jun 27, 2018

I have always kept my eye on an Apple Watch. They make a ceramic model which looks fabulous imo. I only wish they maybe made it in a 45mm. The 42mm just seems slightly too small when I want to use it, the few times I’ve tried one on

19. Riviera Paradise Jun 27, 2018

That skeleton dial rendering is very cool:thumbsup:

I had been thinking of getting the new Tag Heuer Connected 41 this year...but when I tried it on again at the TH boutique I just could not get the emotional connection going to pull the trigger.

The new Casio G-Shock below has entered my radar screen for a true GADA beater...I think it might be the closest I get to a Smartwatch in the near future. Hopefully you do not have to be a white android robot to wear one:)
    image14124.jpg image13147.jpg

20. bonerp Jun 27, 2018

I keep trying every now and then and keep selling them after a coupe of weeks as my phone does everything the watch does but the novelty doesn't wear off like the watch.
    I had an Asus zenwatch a few yrs ago and more recently the s3 frontier.
    I'm not a fan of tizen and didn't like Samsung pay preferring android pay but there was no app for android pay.
    If they can sort that or go back to android wear I may buy an s4.
    I don't see the point in spending lots of cash as they are dead tools in approx 2 yrs.
    More wasted cash on the tag!