Forums Latest Members

Small/ normal wrist and the Apollo 8 dark side of the moon

1. mancio Jun 3, 2020

Hello OF!

Is there anyone here whit a normal/ small wrist size that owns an Apollo 8 dark side of the moon?

I would be interested to see how the watch look like On normal wrist or side by side with a normal speedmaster.

I appreciate any help :)

2. Dedlock Jun 3, 2020

I'm 6.7 and normally dont go for anything bigger than 42, but the unique nature of this watch was alluring and I tried it on and just had to get it. The watch doesn't feel large or cumbersome, it wears comfortably and naturally. It's also very slim for a DSOM and feels quite elegant. It's not for everybody but it certainly appealed to me.

I hope these pics help, they're just phone snaps from different angles and distances.

inCollage_20200604_021328059.jpg
    bbp, rominvicta, Dogmann and 4 others like this.
  3. mancio Jun 4, 2020

That's helpfull!! Thanks :)

4. Pepe Lucas Jun 4, 2020

My wrist is 6 1/2 inches image.jpg

Dogmann and mancio like this.
  5. Dedlock Jun 4, 2020

My AD sales rep told me that he had heard from an insider that Omega was going to cease production of this watch.

I didnt believe him at first thought it was just a sales pitch but the US store has revised the watch's status as "out of stock".

Has anybody heard anything about the Apollo 8 DSOM, we know it isnt a limited edition but is there some truth to the chatter of production halting.

6. mancio Jun 4, 2020

As far as i know is currently out of production, but i don't know if is definitive.

I would be curios to know how many did they built.

Dedlock likes this.
  7. Pepe Lucas Jun 4, 2020

When I got mine, they said that it was going to be a limited run per year. He said around 2k watches per year because everything that goes on the dial and movement. Last year there was a couple of months that it showed out of stock on the USA website but it came back later. But also, when I picked up my Apollo 11 50th they mentioned that Omega might phase out the 1861 on the regular moonwatch for the newer movement. If they do that I would think that they will stop making the Apollo 8 and use all the 1861s remaining to create some last Moon watches.

Dogmann, Evitzee and Dedlock like this.
  8. Pepe Lucas Jun 4, 2020

I really think (hope) that this model would be like the Tin Tin. In the sense that after they stop making it no body really knows how many were made and become some how rare.

Dogmann, Dedlock and mancio like this.
  9. Dedlock Jun 4, 2020

I'm going to keep an eye at the us store and the greh market, I'm sure there is still alot of unsold models but it would be quite interesting if this watch ends up more limited than limited editions!

too much work goes into it, the lunar surface bits of the dial look exquisite. I keep gawking at it and never get tired.

Dogmann likes this.
  10. Pepe Lucas Jun 4, 2020

Now, I don’t think I would buy one of these with out looking at it and inspected on the flesh. A buddy of mine chipped his DSOTM after a night out partying. He took it to the Boutique and they told him that a new case would cost 6k.

apsm100 likes this.
  11. mancio Jun 4, 2020

I think it's hard to hide on that case any damaged and ceramic is not exactly delicate.
    Your buddy must had party very hard to chipped that case!! :)

12. Pepe Lucas Jun 4, 2020

image.jpg image.jpg
    You have a point there, he doesn’t remember what happened. The chip wasn’t that big but it could happen. I know ceramic is hard and don’t scratch but a fall could do some damage. That is why I got this.

13. mancio Jun 4, 2020

The deployant is must to add on the Apollo 8.

14. Evitzee Jun 4, 2020

I think this is probably correct, once the 1861 is retired the Apollo 8 with the 1869 movement would also be a good candidate to be retired. I think the Apollo 8 turned out to be a lot more difficult to produce than Omega thought, and it is pricey at $9,750. It wouldn't appear that the Apollo 8 would fit in in the long term Speedmaster line. And I can't think of any Speedmaser edition that was specific to a particular NASA mission that was a permanent item in the catalog. Long term I think the Apollo 8 will turn out to be a sought after model on the secondary market. Get one while you can.

bbp, Dogmann, Stripey and 1 other person like this.
  15. s2000_driver Jun 4, 2020

The deployant is super cool but is not very comfortable on small wrists. The folding part is quite "long".

mancio likes this.
  16. mancio Jun 4, 2020

Good to know!

17. Evitzee Jun 4, 2020

Deployants are always potentially a problem on small wrists. Have to try them out if possible.

18. sdre Jun 4, 2020

I had the good fortune to try this piece on my wrist last year. I have a 7 inch wrist, but its not very wide. Lug to lug, i can wear a 49mm watch without any overhang.

This one wears big but because of the lyre lugs; it doesn't feel like there's much overhang.

However, i would like to caution you that dark/matte cases watches feel one dimensional to me; so it isn't exactly a daily wearer for me. My 2 cents worth.

mancio likes this.
  19. mancio Jun 5, 2020

Interesting point.

20. Stripey Jun 5, 2020

I was worried about the size when I first went to try one on, as I don't have large wrists. However, what gets repeatedly said is that the black size makes it wear smaller, and I think that's true. Also bear in mind that the manual wind means the case is thinner than the usual DSOTM pieces. I love it, wouldn't part with it.

IMG_6823.jpg
    《007》, bbp, Dogmann and 2 others like this.