Forums Latest Members

SM300-007 to buy or not! help me please

1. Stu-Silver Nov 2, 2015

Can all you folks who have have bought this watch help me out it please! I have never paid more than £700 for a watch but am seriously thinking about buying this watch which is a huge deal to me. I currently own a couple of vintage Omegas and have never bought anything new as I can't really justify the cost at present. Like many, I'm not really into the limited edition marketing side of this, but love the look of this watch. It really excites me and whilst subtle, the larger logo, new bezel and lollipop hand make this watch really pop. I was eagerly awaiting the 300 when it came out but was a little disappointed when I saw it in the flesh, but as I say, this really presses all the right buttons for me, especially on the NATO.

I turn 40 next April and was actually thinking about buying a vintage Speedmaster to mark the occasion, with contributions from family, but this has tempted me for something new. Not a die hard Bond Fan, but for those in the same boat who have bought one, are you happy with your purchase and is the Bond branding subtle enough for you? 2 - do you think the limited edition run will actually mean they sell out before next April? and 3, if so, if I buy this now on finance (4 years 0% credit) and a put my birthday contributions towards it next year, do I have to put it in a cupboard for the next 6 months and not wear it!!!!!

2. lillatroll Nov 2, 2015

I bought the SM300 but had planned to buy the LE, but in the end I didn't like the NATO strap and I couldn't get past the bond branding so I bought the standard version. If you like it buy it. You will only know once you have tried it on. there is no way you will wait 6 months before you wear it though.

Frunkinator likes this.
  3. Superdoc Nov 2, 2015

If the SM300 disappointed you, the Spectre is not going to have a much different gustatory effect... unless you really have a great passion for lollipop second hands and big numbers on the bezel...
    from 2 feet away it is indistinguishable from the SM300.

You need to find one that, the second you put it on your wrist, you forget about price/expense/practicality... being not a bond fan, I'm not sure if you'll appreciate the Spectre as much...especially if you don't like the movie...

the nato strap can be put on any watch...wait for the one that gets your heartbeat up... don't try to force it... especially if its going to be a milestone watch.

I'd say pass on the Spectre - it's going to be your 40th birthday watch.. you don't need something that is going to be that heavily Dated...
    when you pass that on, it should be something timeless... not something that will be irrelevant after the next James Bond movie.

x3no, ICONO, Traveler and 2 others like this.
  4. PatrickJ Nov 2, 2015

Take your time buy what you like. If you buy new from omega or AD no one can say watch is fake, redial etc... If you go vintage it can take a year of homework first at least. The alternative is you get a fake, redial or if watch and dial is good the movement can be all worn inside even if all numbers match up on movement. Vintage is great but it requires a lot of work.

Take your time or ...... You know the alternative

5. abrod520 Nov 2, 2015

These can be found for less than full price online...

http://www.watchrecon.com/?query=spectre

I agree that stretching to buy a new watch isn't a great idea, especially for a milestone event. Better to go vintage. But hey, you like what you like, so if you can get this for a decent price, I say why not :)

6. taz101 Nov 2, 2015

"Will they sell out by next April?" mate, they are virtually sold out NOW lol - get it while you can is my advise. I absolutely love mine and cant stop looking at it plus it will hold its value. I agree with the other points here though that you should go with what your heard tells you. Personally, I was not impressed with the standard 300 but once I put the LE on with the nato strap it was a whole new ball game. The subtle changes like the enlarged Omega logo, the arabic numerals that line up with the markers, it all comes together to give you a sublime mix of vintage and modern seamlessly blended together for a piece that will stay timeless.

Stu-Silver likes this.
  7. ctime3 Nov 2, 2015

I have no complaints with mine. Everyone made valid points.

Stu-Silver likes this.
  8. abrod520 Nov 2, 2015

With 7,007 pieces it's still widely available, and will be for quite some time I think. As I posted earlier, some have already begun to pop up on the secondary market at depreciated values.
    Many of the past Bond LEs are still easily found in the secondary market, and mostly for either the same or lower price than the contemporary model they were based on. Buy it because you like it, not because you think it's rare (it isn't, really) or because you think it'll appreciate in value (it almost certainly won't).

9. taz101 Nov 2, 2015

Well it completely depends on WHERE you buy it doesn't it? Sure, you can go to Ebay and find one at a discounted price but if you want it from a retailer where you get them guarantee it for 12 months..your paying retail. I was interested in the 50th Ann Bond SP and its retail some 3 years later on all secondhand outlets (bar Ebay)

10. Stu-Silver Nov 2, 2015

Well, spent most of day trying to actually find one for sale. My aim was to go into Beaverbrooks where I saw the watch last week to try on and compare LE and original. Sold out was the answer and not likely to have any more. 5 in store, 4 pre ordered and the other sold as soon as it was put in the window. 20 been and gone from Manchester store and Goldsmiths nationally sold out and waiting to see if they can get any more with people adding to waiting list hourly apparently as they see the film. More names than watches appears to be the message, so defo won't be around for long. Maybe 7007 is a limiting number after all. Anyhow, After a ring round, finally dropped lucks at Omega/Berrys in Leeds and one had just become available apparently so a big decision was required. Having had a good look at the original again today and tried it on, which I have seriously been contemplating for next years 40th, decided to pull the trigger and I put a deposit down!!! Felt sick with excitement, nerves and even guilt at committing so much money on a watch, but can't wait. Defo need to sell as much as possible as quickly as possible to make a decent deposit now. Watch is in store, so as soon as I can raise my deposit I can go and pick it up and will defo post a few pics on here if your interested. Can't wait to see it in the flesh and open up that box. Beans on toast from here on in! Feel free to post more pictures!!!!

ThatTurtle, Commander D and abrod520 like this.
  11. taz101 Nov 2, 2015

Haha I said this but got shot down with '7007 isn't limited'. Savior the moment when you open the box its a lovely presentation and get the jeweler to let you try both strap and bracelet on before you decide which to wear. Personally I prefer it on the nato strap :)

12. shutterlife Nov 2, 2015

I would pass on the Spectre.

13. Stu-Silver Nov 2, 2015

Each to their own I guess. What would you spend your money on?

14. shutterlife Nov 2, 2015

At this moment, there isn't anything that sings to me other than the silver snoopy award watch, but I missed the boat on that one. And it really is to each their own. Get what makes you happy.

Stu-Silver likes this.
  15. taz101 Nov 2, 2015

Certainly each to their own. For me the snoopy looks like a child's watch.

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 2, 2015

yep ... for me too ... cant take that serously ... just like those mickey mouse rolexes ...

spoils the fun for me

17. shutterlife Nov 2, 2015

Yeah. It looks like a kids watch. But snoopy plays a revalence to Omega's history. It's not like they put him on there just for fun.

18. zinzan8 Nov 2, 2015

I have the watch and love it. I enjoy Bond films, but am not a fanboy. Honestly, I don't personally care for the Omega watches with the Bond stuff on the dial. Some would disagree, but I find the Bond stuff on this watch fairly subtle. Had the watch for 5 weeks now, and I think no one has noticed the 007 branding, other than those I have intentionally shown the watch to.

I've been wearing it on the bracelet until this week, in preparation for the movie. I really like the brushed bracelet, but the NATO is cool, too.

The SM 300 Spectre, like the Speedmaster Snoopy, is not for everyone, but they are both very cool.

Only you can decide whether or not it's worth the money for you.

I have no idea how available this will be in 6 months, or how well it will hold it's value. It seems to be more available at discount this week than it was 5 weeks ago, but that may change after the movie comes out. But I'm only speculating--never been interested in a Bond watch before, and did not buy this one because of the movie.

19. jaymyms Nov 4, 2015

For a milestone, it's the Speedmaster Professional, and it's not even close.

One of these two watches will be largely forgotten in a few years, the other is a legend.

20. taz101 Nov 4, 2015

Oh I should clarify - I meant the black snoopy is not for me with colour motif. The silver snoopy is another ball game and i love it but its already sold out i think