Forums Latest Members

Slight circular discoloration on Speedy Pro subdial

1. scv55 Apr 4, 2019

Noticed this circular, wet-like discoloration on the 6 O'clock subdial on my -76 Speedy Pro...I am a little concerned about it. Would this be something that a service could fix?

[​IMG]

It's a bit hard to see, but more obvious in person.

2. WYO_Watch Apr 4, 2019

I’ll definitely bow out to an expert here, but I believe it could be oil? The last watch repairman could have used too much oil and now it’s bled through. I’ve at least read descriptions of Speedmaster dials that have oil marks on them.

Not sure if a service will necessarily “fix” the discoloration, but it may prevent any other marks from appearing.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. scv55 Apr 5, 2019

Interesting, the last service was over 3 years ago. You think it could be permanent?

4. Cleup Apr 5, 2019

I didn’t see the discoloration in the photo

5. 77deluxe Apr 5, 2019

It doesn’t look too bad. It’s still a great watch. I’d try and learn to live with it. I certainly have with worse flaws.

6. WYO_Watch Apr 5, 2019

My guess is yes. But I don’t know much about cleaning dials nor would I advise you to try. I do think you’d like to stop the oil penetration and should get it serviced again (maybe not the same shop). At least take it in to confirm it is oil and weigh your options.

I agree with @77deluxe - still a great watch

77deluxe likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 5, 2019

Only way to know for sure is to open it, but this would be my guess as well. If it is, the OP definitely needs to find a new watchmaker.

This is near the mainspring barrel, and often some old school watchmakers will excessively oil the mainspring in the watch when they put the old one back in. New springs come with dry lubricant on them, and don't need oiling. If you do oil a mainspring you are using, it only requires a very thin film of oil...

Als 27, WYO_Watch and Dash1 like this.
  8. scv55 Apr 5, 2019

Appreciate the insight. The watch was last serviced over 3 years ago by the shop who I bought it from. I have been thinking recently that I should have it sent over to Manfredi who seem to be very reputable with Speedmasters. I don't want to give it to Omega because they'll end up changing out the hands etc.