Forums Latest Members
  1. cj3209 Jan 25, 2020

Noob here. Just picked up a gorgeous speedy `57 and love it.

I've avoided steel bands because it irritates my wrist which is why I got a leather band. Also use rubber band on my fitness watch.

But would like to get a metal watch later and was wondering if I have to get a titanium band?

2. M'Bob Jan 25, 2020

Not clear if your skin is reacting to the steel as an allergic response or from friction?

3. cj3209 Jan 25, 2020

It's from the steel. It doesn't happen with my rubber strap.

And I do think my skin is sensitive to the steel. Same with my eyeglasses...sigh...

4. wagudc Jan 25, 2020

If you are alergic to the nickel in stainless, than this may be true. Even some gold contains nickel.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. scapa Jan 25, 2020

My wife suffers from this. White gold (18k) is an option for nickel allergies -- but your watch choices are limited, and expensive. Titanium is a good alternative and we finally settled on a titanium Tudor. No problems after that, but not sure if there's a Ti band available for the Speedy 57. You can also try something like NickelGuard, although it can be a pain to use. Link below might be useful:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nickel-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20351529

cj3209 likes this.
  6. Canuck Jan 25, 2020

Very often, skin reactions are not from the metal itself. But from the secretions of the skin which include acids, salts, bacteria, and other secretions. So it might be said the skin is reacting to itself, in a way. These secretions tend to accumulate under the attachment on the watch, and like skin elsewhere, should be frequently washed and rinsed. And the surfaces of the watch and bracelet rinsed as well.

7. jcmartinez98 Jan 25, 2020

Agree that it’s possibly a nickel allergy if it happens with steel and not rubber bracelets.
    I bet you could find out from omega if there’s any nickel in their titanium bracelet to avoid “finding out the hard way...”

cj3209 likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jan 25, 2020

I actually used to have a similar response to rubber straps (only certain rubber straps and only when I got sweaty), so I can empathize.

Is the allergy only under the bracelet and not on the top of the wrist under the watch back?

Does the allergic reaction happen after a few minutes or only after wearing the watch after a few days (to speak to the point that @Canuck made about bacterial growth under the bracelet)?

Do you have a hairy arms and perhaps the bracelets are pulling on the hair and causing folliculitis (I have an early 70’s Speedy bracelet that did this to me and I’m not even that hairy- but it’s known as a “hair puller”).

The fact that on a rubber strap you don’t have the same reaction gives me pause simply because the watch back is also stainless and I would think you would have a round red reaction point on top of your wrist wearing any stainless watch.
    Before you throw the baby out with the bath-water, a little sleuthing may help.

ctpete likes this.
  9. jcmartinez98 Jan 25, 2020

OP: any photos of the skin reaction? We might be able to turn this forum into tele-medicine!

another possibility to having issue with bracelet but not case back would be if there are slightly different alloys used in watch vs bracelet, but yes, otherwise the caseback should cause an issue as well.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jan 25, 2020

Could try something like invisible glove. upload_2020-1-25_13-29-8.jpeg

cj3209 likes this.
  11. cj3209 Jan 25, 2020

Lol...it was some time ago but I used to get rashes underneath the bezel and especially on the metal clasp area. I am definitely sensitive to metal. Appreciate the suggestions.

12. cholack Jan 26, 2020

You have contact dermatitis with nickle, which is a fairly common allergy.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Jan 26, 2020

I find this fascinating. So we can assume that bracelets have a different steel/nickle content than cases? Would the grade of stainless used denote a lower nickle content?

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2020

Yes, different grades of stainless steel have different amounts of nickel in them. However this is only one factor in the likelihood of someone with a nickel allergy or sensitivity having a problem.

There are several factors that can influence what is known as the nickel release rate from the material. Things like the surface finish of the material can change how much nickel is released on someone’s skin. Of course individual body chemistry and how corrosive your perspiration is would obviously have an impact.

There are standards for the amount of nickel release allowed for jewelry, including watches, that dictate differs release rates for different applications. For example I believe (going from memory now) that the release rate for piercings is different than for a watch bracelet...

Cheers, Al

scapa and JwRosenthal like this.
  15. JwRosenthal Jan 26, 2020

I can see how frustrating this could be for someone with this kind of allergy- totally luck of the draw unless you know what stainless formula is used by each manufacturer, their sub-contactors, etc - and how you react to each grade.

I guess the safe bet is precious metals, nato strap or a bund strap if even the case back and case sides contacting the skin becomes an issue.

Just checked with the Lady who has very sensitive porcelain skin, and she confirmed that she gets a reaction with cheap jewelry (particularly earrings) but not with her stainless watches....I always thought is was just her body rejecting cheap jewelry....but it’s actually an allergic reaction :rolleyes:

Edited Jan 26, 2020
    DaveK likes this.
  16. JwRosenthal Jan 26, 2020

So @cj3209 - have you tried different grades of stainless to see what affect you or not? Polished bracelets versus brushed? Perhaps the higher grade steel like Rolex claims to be using now wouldn’t cause the reaction- I curious about this just out of fascination.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2020

Well sort of...

The point of the standards is to make sure that regardless of the alloy composition, surface finish, etc. that the release rate of nickel will be below the level that is going to create a problem for the majority of people.

There are some who simply have to avoid it no matter what, so those people won’t have to worry about all the factors you list, because they can’t wear it anyway.

For example 316L has a lower nickel content than 904L but the rate of nickel release for both won’t exceed what the standards require.

Cheers, Al

Farmer, OptionZ and JwRosenthal like this.
  18. cholack Jan 26, 2020

I will also add that chromium, in addition to nickel, are the the majority components of 316L stainless steel.

You can also have contact dermatitis with chromium :unsure:

In any case, you can see an allergist who can do a patch test to determine which metal sensitivity you have.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  19. maine-iac1 Jan 26, 2020

I had problems with cheaper SS watches years ago. I definitely have a nickel allergy and used Swatch silicon/rubber straps for years. Thankfully I can tolerate the 316L just fine (knock on wood). That's pretty common these days, not just on Omegas. As mentioned titanium would solve SS problem and give you a lighter watch (and lighter wallet) I have a titanium wedding band! Good luck.

(And by the way, just to get even weirder about allergies, I'm allergic to chromium mineral salts used in tanning leather. So those cool leather bands are off limits to me. It's always something, right?)

JwRosenthal likes this.
  20. JwRosenthal Jan 26, 2020

My lord! I thought my newly acquired food allergies that have come with age to be horrific (especially since I’m a foodie).

PRW likes this.