Forums Latest Members
  1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 17, 2016

ok I'm stuck waiting to get my car washed and reading the watch websites and everyone is covering the new Sistem51 watches with a Stainless case.

Sure it's the first completely machine made watch with no human involvement, but it is not serviceable. They have proprietary straps and plastic crystals. I am sorry but I just don't get it. They are not particularly attractive and the price point to me makes them even less so.

At about 250 usd why would anyone even consider it? 7s26 Seiko 5's start at 60 bucks, and the entire 5 range is less. An SKX and most of the attractive Orients like the Mako and Bambino are less then these Swatchs.

Am I missing something here?

2. WatchVaultNYC Aug 17, 2016

I'd be a buyer but only because of it's significance as a low-component, completely machine made swiss automatic. Like you said, at $250 there are many competitors. Seikos and Seiko 5s, Orients, even a column-wheel Seagull chronograph(!). You can get a Victorinox Officer's Mechanical for less, and that's a swiss automatic with serious good looks.

Go vintage, you're already looking at some Omegas at $250.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 17, 2016

Interesting experiment, but would not be on my short list, even in that price range.

They"ve been out a while now. I wonder if the line is considered to be a commercial success?

4. rcs914 Aug 17, 2016

I think the design of the movement is interesting and the 90 hour power reserve is cool too. But I'm not going to buy one at the prices that they charge currently. I didn't like the first ones because they, well, looked seriously cheap. I haven't been into Swatches since I was a teenager. These new ones are a whole lot better looking, but I can't understand the insistence on using the proprietary strap. If these had a standard spring bar system, I certainly would consider one at some point (used most likely) - but Swatch straps to me have always been the single worst part of the design. Maybe it makes sense with the plastic case (not enough strength for a standard spring bar?) but it sure doesn't with steel.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 17, 2016

Well the big news is the new Irony line with a metal cases. Read what you want into the name.

6. rcs914 Aug 17, 2016

Wait where can you get a Victorinox Officer's Mechanical for less than $250?

rhj likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Aug 17, 2016

"News". ;)

8. WatchVaultNYC Aug 17, 2016

Victorinox does a once a year sale in the CT warehouse, prices are really crazy low. If you can't drive there, many people will buy for resale on Ebay and you can kinda-sorta take advantage of the lower price. Or you can ask a friend to buy one for you. Lines are very, very long when it happens. I went several times, and it was a 2 hour wait to get inside.

I think I saw VSA Officer's Mechanical for under $200. These are new watches, sans the nice packaging (but will come in a cheap Victorinox watch box)

rcs914 likes this.
  9. Canuck Aug 17, 2016

The Tissot version of this watch in my view, is an over-priced Swatch! Plastic pallets, plastic pallet faces, plastic escape wheel, and that was just what was easily seen in the last one I checked out. To say nothing of the rest of the watch, the majority of which is plastic! Could be plastic train wheels as well! Join the boycott! Save your money! This is by far the worst watch on the market! This piece of carp will probably go the way of the original Tissot all plastic watch, and the Tissot "rock" watch. Such a shame what Swatch has done with a venerable old name!

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 17, 2016

I'm set with my Omega's. Once you wear a speedy it's hard to strap on anything else. Well of course except my Ploprofs.

I looked at the plastic swatch watches and really wanted to buy one, but just couldn't figure out how it made sense. I will strap on a Seiko Sport 5 when I'm working in the yard/garage. So really made no sense to buy a beater swatch since the Seiko is the best watch under $150. I took a look at the steel one today. Once I got over the name (irony) I concluded it made even less sense to buy at $250.

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. chows99 Aug 17, 2016

For this price level, I rather buy seiko like skx007 with more street cred!

rcs914 likes this.
  12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 17, 2016

13. rcs914 Aug 17, 2016

14. wsfarrell Aug 17, 2016

15. tyrantlizardrex Aug 18, 2016

16. RegF Aug 18, 2016

I've got a few quartz Swatches as part of the collection.

The fact they arguably revitalised the Swiss watch industry is one reason they have significance to me.

The bold designs and funky colours were another reason to grab a couple.

I've got a couple of the plastic Sistem51's for their significance to the world - untouched by human hands during manufacture is pretty interesting!

The new Irony version would have to wait in my collection as I have other priorities at the moment, not because of its design.

The price point and market they are aiming at are the potential Braithwaite & Daniel Wellington wearers of the world.

Trying to appeal to the younger non-WIS wearer who wants a SWISS item, not Japanese.

Sure, the Seikos and Orients mentioned are excelent watches, but they aren't European and lack the cache that this is meant to attract.

A 90 hour power reserve mechanical that is hopefully the entry point to the serious world of Horology for the Apple and Samsung toting set.

The fact that they are still expanding the range would tend to suggest that they are being successful.

Personally I like the designs - particularly the blue ones.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2016

Well thought out post - these are not targeted at the people who are already on this site obviously, but the next gen watch collectors.

I'm not sure there would be an Omega brand right now if it weren't for cheap plastic Swatches, so those poking fun might want to look at the history involved...

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Aug 18, 2016

Big fan of the cheap plastic Swatches... not so much of the dressed up models at dressed up prices.

nlogax likes this.
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 18, 2016

Swatch has made Irony models before - these aren't the first, and I doubt they will be the last. The extra 50 bucks might be a deal breaker for you, but it won't be for many. The cheap plastic cases are personally why I don't have a Swatch - this model might change that...

rcs914 likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 18, 2016

Every time I go to South East Asia or anywhere there is a swatch shop they are always the fullest watch boutique around. Young people love them and they are bigger ( still ) than many of us older guys think. Walked past one in Vietnam a few years ago every day for two weeks and it was packed every day.