Forums Latest Members

Sinn 903 cloudy crystal? and should I modify it?

1. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 13, 2017

Getting ready to send my Lemania 903 out to rgm for a service. But I had 2 issues that I am curious what you guys think.

IMG_4338.JPG

Anything stick out? Yeah the hands are the only white thing on it. Oh also the Tritium and Swiss Made markings on a German watch... Everything is all original and matches other Leamania 903's with that movement, it looks like a pre aged tritium on the dial as the tritium matches the printed dial but those hands stick out a bit.

What if I swap hands out with the current 903 St BE? I know its a different movement and the hands might not fit, but if it is possible and I can retain the original tritium hands, swap out for these Luminova hands assuming the browns match?

sinn903.jpg

The other issue is the Crystal... under some light it appears cloudy and brown, I assume this is not the sapphire itself getting cloudy, but a function of no AR coating on the inside? Or something on the inside of the crystal? Oil film?
    IMG_4414.JPG

2. alam Feb 13, 2017

I doubt the hands of a 903 St BE will be a perfect color match but assuming no issues w/fitting, I think your Sinn will probably look better with these. Any options to retouch the original hands?

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 13, 2017

I could go that way but these Lemania powered ones are a bit rare... as the hand lume matches the dial lume I rather not mess with them. I could try and get NOS hands and age them myself.

I could go speedmaster hands... I might be able to find some nice ones.

4. SeanO Feb 14, 2017

but then again it's a Sinn so....

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 15, 2017

Curious as to your point?

6. SeanO Feb 15, 2017

it's a modern watch with no intrinsic value other than whatever someone will pay for it. It's not a niche product from one of the big three or from a "well regarded" manufacture.

it's a stock bog chevy nova with a 3 speed slushomatic.

don't take this as a put down or as me demeaning the watch or the company, I love both of them. Sinn make good, middle of the road tool watches in the Teutonic fashion.

if you want to mod it then fire away.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 15, 2017

In this case I'd more think AMX... under appreciated. If you compare Vs a speedmaster it's the same movement and build quality is darn close between them. The Lemania powered ones are fairly uncommon and tied with the watch actually being the real Navitimer not Breitling who sold it off when they closed doors in 78.

I've got no qualms about modding it as long as I can reset it. But Sinn via RGM has said they will not do it for some very German reasons lol.