Forums Latest Members

Silly Experiment of the Day: "Seeing" the Beat Rate on my Watch Face

1. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 26, 2015

You'll have to forgive me if someone has shared an experiment like this before on the Forum, but it was a lot of fun for me and I'm happy to share it with you all.

I've been fascinated by the discernible Start/Stop motion of the sweep second hand on my Cal. 8500 Aqua Terra ever since I put the watch on for the first time. During moments of quiet contemplation, while staring contentedly at my watch, I've tried counting how many Starts/Stops the second hand makes between each minute marker on the dial. But it happens so quickly -- certainly quicker than my aged eyes [and brain] can discriminate, and I have to give up on getting a reliable count. Then I had a "brilliant" idea: use the high speed video mode on my cell phone to record the second hand's motion, then try counting the individual Start/Stops when the video is played back in Slo-Mo.

It was like magic -- the individual Start/Stop movements were so easy to see! Seven starts and stops between each minute marker, every time. But this should not be a surprising result. I've read somewhere out there on the Internets that the 8500's nominal beat rate is 25,200 beats per hour. If you do a little arithmetic, that comes out to exactly 7 beats per second. I'm seeing the actual beat rate on my watch face! Eureka!

video_experiment.jpg

Edited May 26, 2015
    TexasKevin likes this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2015

You can accomplish the same thing with a long exposure. I took this one a few years ago of my Blancpain Leman:

[​IMG]

Watch is gone now...miss it sometimes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Large date was okay, but the 100 hour power reserve was very handy. For a long time it was my most accurate watch.

Cheers, Al

Nobel Prize and TexasKevin like this.
  3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 26, 2015

@Archer -- I love that approach. It's Ultra-Visual!

Ah...Blancpain. The Fifty Fathoms is yet another dream watch of mine. Sigh...

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 26, 2015

I do have a follow-up question for those who are knowledgeable about such things:

Is a single "beat" one change in the direction of rotation of the balance wheel?

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2015

Yes.

6. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 26, 2015