Forums Latest Members
  1. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

I'd been interested in a nice Omega trench watch for awhile, and finally decided to add this one to my collection...

These are pretty scarce, especially in nice condition. In the spring of 1917 the Signal Corps were entrusted to supply the first wristwatches to American soldiers arriving in Europe. About 7 Swiss companies were enlisted for this effort, of which Omega is among the least often seen today (Zenith is probably the most common). The others were Tissot, Cyma, Ulysee Nardin, Rode (these 2 probably the most rare), and Moser.

This one has the cal. 13 SO in frosted gilt finish, and a nickeloid 35 mm case with hinged case back.

There is some valuable and interesting information posted some 7 years ago on the Chapter 185 website, here (with photos of examples from various companies): http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/6141038851 & http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/8781009641

And some photos (this one must not have been worn much! By the way, the strap is a new one made by David Boettcher; see vintagewatchstraps.com):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(the following are the seller's photos)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Jan 14, 2013

That goes in the score! column. :thumbsup:

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 14, 2013

so what is a "trench" watch? is it pocket watch style watch that was converted (by the manufacturer, not the ukrainians) to a wrist watch? the case and movement look like a pocket watch style.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

That one is in enviable condition - can't remember the last time I've seen one so nice

5. agee Jan 14, 2013

Awesome watch, congrats-I love the look of it
    I've been looking for a trench watch with integrated shrapnel cover, but I'm not sure Omega produced one
    I'll be seeing a Waltham and Illinois this weekend and I'll probably add one to my military collection

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

A very nice one and truly a collectors piece.

7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

A common term for the wristwatches worn by WWI soldiers (in the trenches). These were indeed a transitional style, reminiscent of (but necessarily smaller than) pocket watches of the era, with soldered ("wire") lugs. Slowly, as the 1920s progressed, so did wristwatch style. As agee mentions, some had shrapnel covers (a basket-weave hinged "lid") to better protect the crystal. The fact that so many survived intact, even without shock protection, says a lot for their overall durability (unless those that survived were never in the trenches!).

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 14, 2013

Were those covers factory-produced? I always imagined that they were personal add-ons done by jewelers.

9. agee Jan 14, 2013

The integrated ones were factory produced and were part of the watch. Some were like a clam shell and covered the top and bottom of the watch
    The non-integrated shrapnel covers could be added on to any watch, but they were not part of the watch
    I do not believe Omega produced any integrated cases