Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 14, 2020

Probably not, and probably not from a 17 Peruvian Feed back seller....But hey, we have to talk about something.

Here is the listingPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I hope I am not raining on anyone's Parade but I think its already passed the Value as Parts price, and it is from Peru, and it is from a low feedback seller (Only one of those 17 feed-backs is as a seller)....and its more fun to watch it end, so here is a 105.003-65...sort of Capture.JPG

The sharp eyed amongst you will see the short indices dial with whitish plots. So that's wrong. But I do see a step...And an applied logo. It could be those plots are so white as any lume has been removed, but the photo is too bad to tell.

This is incorrect specification for a factory released watch so the two possibilities are a re dial, or a service dial. If it is a service dial its very rare.

What made this a side step into interesting territory was the pushers, seen here:
    4.JPG

Could those be 105.012 pushers?

If so, have they been damaged by forcing them into a threaded 105003 case or is it a push-fit case (rare).

Or are they just best fit pushers?

I must be honest, I have glanced through this and decided that at $3000+ that this will end up from and coming from Peru, I am not in the mood for this risk. However I have had some gems from Peru, and they arrived safely, not all sellers are bad.

So possible rare dial, possible rare and valuable pushers, in a polished case with uncertain movement. And yes it has a DO90 but its a Meteor DO90 and those dont seem to sell like they used to

I wish the buyer the best of luck!

Rest of the listing photos for prosperity:

2.JPG 3.JPG s-l1600.jpg s-l1601.jpg

2. bags1971 Nov 14, 2020

all feedback in one month for less than £2 jewellery hmmmmm

3. JwRosenthal Nov 14, 2020

As always @Spacefruit thanks for the education on how to spot problems or rarities. You should do more of these for those of us that love learning the nuances.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 14, 2020

@Spacefruit William, what are your thoughts on 32 tooth crowns like the one fitted there? Are they always fitted at service or can they possibly be original? Obviously in this case the swapped pushed suggest the former but I am mean in general terms on Sixties models.

Edited Nov 14, 2020
  5. RadiumWatches Nov 14, 2020

Very educative thank you!

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 14, 2020

32 vs 24 tooth crowns on 105003's are something that sits in the back of my mind. I am not a hands on researcher like MWO crew , all I have to go on is observation and weight of evidence. I also keep in mind that just because something makes sense, doesn't make it accurate.

But the overriding feeling I have, is that it doesn't matter, in terms of value. A 24 tooth original crown can be found for between $250 - 450 and would be indistinguishable from one that had been there since new. I would never dismiss a watch on the crown alone, so again, it doesn't really matter a whole lot. It does of course matter that we note its presence and take it into account when valuing.

A watch where the ONLY question mark is the crown is very rare, so the question of the crown comes way down the list of value influences.

I am open to the idea that 32 tooth crowns were installed at the factory on new watches. (On 105.003's) but I have yet to observe any pattern that might explain, for example, those of a certain serial range or time.

I do prefer to see the 24 tooth crown, and yes, I have a little bag of them like all good hoarders should, and yes, I often (but not always) change them.

JwRosenthal, M'Bob and padders like this.
  7. 140dave Nov 14, 2020

Thanks for bringing this one up, I have been following it and using it as a case-study for future purchases. Thought I may take a stab for education if it stayed below $2500 which it may. From your (@Spacefruit ) SPM101 site info I went with service dial because of AML and the placement of the T’s. The pushers show me I still have a lot to learn. Thanks!

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 14, 2020

Just make sure you understand the risks of a 1 feed back Peru seller.

140dave and SpikiSpikester like this.
  9. 140dave Nov 14, 2020

You think there maybe risk? ;)
    Of course, and that where PayPal comes in. But it just went over my $2500 educational limit so someone else will have the fun with this one. Only willing to gamble so much on this one. Again, thanks! The pusher comment was eye opening, guess I have to break down and buy Moonwatch Only.

Spacefruit likes this.
  10. pdxleaf ... Nov 14, 2020

Meteor DON?

Not familiar with this. Does this mean a bezel that looks like it went through a meteor shower?

11. Marsimaxam Nov 14, 2020

Thanks for the education Spacefruit, and I can definitely say without any hesitation, it's not exceptional.

The dial is puzzling. I refer to MWO page 97. "B.4 Short Markers (1960s and 70s). A seldom seen dial, probably very limited distribution or a vintage service dial. "

Main Features:
    Professional inscription ( not present in dial in question )
    Applied Logo yes
    Short tritium markers not through the minutes scale yes
    Step dial yes
    Spaced Ts yes
    Medium width E in Omega yes
    G with medium length horizontal stroke yes
    S with curving top loop yes
    S and p not joined no

Curious about dial... redial?