Forums Latest Members

Should there be a break in chapter ring of Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch?

1. miurasv Sep 1, 2016

Should there be a break in the chapter ring of the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch? I was wondering if the ring is cracked or if there is a break that should be there? The watch is brand new. Please see pics attached. Thanks in advance for any replies. andspeed5pt.jpg andspeed6pt.jpg

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 1, 2016

The tension ring does have a split in it - that one seems a little more misaligned than normal though. If you look at the case from the sides all around the crystal, does it look fully seated?

Cheers, Al

Mad Dog, miurasv and Billyp7718 like this.
  3. BruceTheManLee Sep 1, 2016

i don't think i've seen anything like that before. If it's new I'd bring it in under warranty

miurasv likes this.
  4. miurasv Sep 1, 2016

Thank you very much for your reply. I think the pics make it worse than it is but it's obviously not sitting right in the area to the right of the split. I will return it to the Omega agent as it shouldn't be like that. Please could you answer me another question: Is it safe to wash the Speedmaster Pro Moon watch in water?

Billyp7718 likes this.
  5. 2nastie Sep 1, 2016

Wash in water? Besides the current state it is in, I don't think you should wash any watch in water. Yes, theyare water proof / water resistance but if you want to clean it, a wipe down with a soft wet towel is good enough to clean the watch.

miurasv likes this.
  6. blubarb Sep 3, 2016

Speedies + water - follow Blubarb's golden rule: 30 seconds or 30 metres which ever comes first...:whistling:

ps. Personally I wouldn't swim with any watch that didn't have screw down pushers and crown and only then if its gaskets and tubes, etc were less than 5 years old and even then probably not.

Edited Sep 3, 2016
  7. miurasv Sep 3, 2016

Please could you elaborate. Thanks.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 3, 2016

Not this one. You have high odds of a bad seal at the crystal.

miurasv likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 3, 2016

Yes it is.

Use a soft brush (shaving brush) and a few drops of dishwash liquid in a cup of luke warm or room temperature water. Rinse under a gentle stream of luke warm water. Dry with a soft absorbent cloth.

Of course the normal expectations apply.
    The crown and pusher seals must be intact and serviceable, the case back seal the same.
    The crystal must be a correctly fitted OEM version.
    The watch must have passed the required pressure test.

In your case, I would not wash the watch until the forgoing have been completed.

Mad Dog, miurasv and blubarb like this.
  10. blubarb Sep 3, 2016

Well, far from being an expert on water resistance, other than the occasional bath and shower I undergo at home, I'll give it a go but with an abundance of caution and some help from a couple of books and of course Dr Google...

1. Let's get this out of the way first, there is no such thing as a waterproof watch. The term Waterproof implies that moisture cannot permeate into the case and into the movement. So the industry standard is to state that a watch can withstand water pressure and this is referred to as Water Resistance (WR).

2. WR basically means that it is humidity-protected and it can endure some water splashing from washing your hands or being caught in the rain. WR does not mean you should swim or shower with your watch on.

3. If you are into water sports then you should have your watch checked for its water resistance levels every year, but most watchmakers will only guarantee its WR from their hand to the door; I mean, you could knock it on a door frame once its left the watchmaker or drop it compromising the seal/gasket, any crown o-rings or crystal, etc.. (as I say I am no expert) https://www.watchdoctor.biz/About-Watch-Water-Resistance.aspx. Over time these gaskets, seals and o-rings can dry out and lose malleability and the ability to form a proper seal; hence why regular testing is important for maintaining the water resistance.

4. A diver's watch is fundamentally different in that they are specifically engineered for continual and heavy water usage and can withstand depths of at least 200 meters. They are engineered to have minimal openings where water can enter the case and only one screw-down crown. Usually they will have heavier seals around the crystal and around the case back.

5. It is not advisable, in my opinion, to shower with your watch on especially if it's a Speedmaster. I believe shampoo and soaps are highly corrosive to a watch's components. If you accidentally expose your watch to these products, rinse it off with fresh cold water and dry it as quickly as possible.

6. So should I swim with my chronograph? IMHO :eek: no way. There is no doubt that chronos like the Speedy are extremely well engineered pieces and generally WR they are not intended for swimming or diving! A chrono is a complicated watch with several openings for water to enter and at each of these points there is a gasket that forms a seal, which may or may not protect the movement from moisture or water entering the watch and causing damage .

7. Diving into a pool causes an immediate shift in pressure which will most likely cause the watch to stretch above its recommended WR level. "Diving into a pool multiple times (and smacking the water's surface each time) will eventually push the amount of pressure applied to the watch over its limit, at which point water will be forced through the gaskets and into the movement." So no diving with a Speedmaster on - end of. "Special note about Jacuzzis and Hot Tubs. The various components used in the manufacture and assembly of your watch expand at various rates.This results in a loss of the sealing capabilities of gaskets which may allow moisture to enter. In addition, heat from these sources can cause deformation of certain materials leading to mechanical failures. For these reasons, you should remove your watch before entering a hot tub or Jacuzzi" https://www.watchdoctor.biz/About-Watch-Water-Resistance.aspx

http://www.military-watches.net/Water_Resistance.html
    http://www.toddandmarlon.com/blog/water-resistance-introduction

As I say, no expert, but all of this in some form or another is available online. Make your own mind up on washing your Speedy (if you do then follow JimInOz's instructions), but for me a light rub with a micro-fibre cloth (if ever) is good enough for me.

Edited Sep 3, 2016
  11. miurasv Sep 8, 2016

Thanks for the very informative replies everyone. The watch was returned to the AD and they took it back with no question so credit to them. Decided to replace it with the new 43.5mm Seamaster Planet Ocean Master Co Axial with black ceramic dial and black bezel. There will be no question of it being able to be washed in water.

andpo43.5.jpg
    nonuffinkbloke, Knezz, Wools and 4 others like this.
  12. icecube Oct 28, 2016

Newbie here! I just got a new speedy a few days ago and noticed a little dark spot around the crystal, seems to be caused by this split as well. It is no where as bad as the one in the OP.

Do I have to be concerned?

Another question is, I don't seem to see 'rings' in the subdial that I see in a lot of photos, is this normal? I did purchase from an AD.

Thanks!

IMG_1225s.jpg

IMG_1224s.jpg

13. blubarb Oct 28, 2016

That's called a tension ring I believe and yes it should have a split in it that should be aligned. It seems alright to me. If I am wrong we will find out soon enough. What reference is it? Year? New as in 2016?

14. icecube Oct 28, 2016

Thanks! Yes brand new 311.30.42.30.01.005 from AD, not sure how to check year I assume its this year unless its old stock.

I only saw it because it casts a tiny dark shadow at the edge of the crystal at the 4oclock mark.

15. blubarb Oct 28, 2016

Possibly slightly misaligned if it's throwing a shadow - take it back and check against another in stock. As for the "rings" do you mean the concentric circles in the subdial as seen here:

16. icecube Oct 28, 2016

Yes, those circles! I cannot see them at all, not even under 10x magnification. Maybe my eyes are that bad!

17. blubarb Oct 28, 2016

I don't know when Omega removed the subdial circles, someone will say.

This is from the Omega website - you can see the tension ring split here if you look for it and no concentric rings, so your eyes are good. ;)

You might be displaying what I call PBS (Post Buyer Sensitivity) an early sign of WIS disease :eek:

Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 2.23.12 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 2.23.33 PM.jpg

ahartfie and icecube like this.
  18. icecube Oct 28, 2016

whew! thanks! the shadow I see looks exactly like that :)

What is this WIS disease? I have been wanting this watch a long time and finally got it, most I ever spent on a watch, thats definitely adding to the anxiety. It doesn't help that it comes with a frigging loupe.

19. tyrantlizardrex Oct 28, 2016

The subdial rings... those are the thing of legend/up until 78?

blubarb likes this.
  20. blubarb Oct 28, 2016

WIS (Watch Idiot Savant) it's a mental state rather than a notable disease (atm) and listed in the DSM-VI and exercised on this forum without fear of social marginalisation - btw, welcome to the forum and congrats on a great purchase. How about a wristy on the WRUW (what are you wearing) thread.

ps. yes, giving a WIS a loupe is like giving a shot glass to an alcoholic :eek: for want of a better analogy

Knezz likes this.