Forums Latest Members

Should the minute hand be exactly on an indice when second hand ....

1. Blueox4 Apr 20, 2015

finishes its travel across the 12 indice? I was just wondering because my AT with 2500c which is new to me seems to keep excellent time but as I admire it now I just noticed that when my second hand crosses the 12 mark the minute hand is about halfway between minutes if that makes sense. Sorry for the newb questions but this is my first Omega.

2. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Apr 20, 2015

Interesting question. I can't speak for 'em all but my SMPc with a 2500D is spot on a minute index when the second hand hits 12

3. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 20, 2015

That all depends on you when you set the time. There is a very little slack in the train, so you'll need to figure out how to do it for your particular watch, for example setting the minute hand on the mark when the second hand is at 50 sec.

I use a loupe when I set mine because I can't see up close any more, and generally set the minute hand on the mark when the second hand is at about 50 to 55 sec.

Something else to watch for is pushing in the crown without twisting it. That's just a little practice.

Tom

4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 20, 2015

It really does not make any difference to time keeping but you csn simply pull the crown out and set the time/hands whenever uou want. I am fairly sure this will have a hacking movement so the second hand will stop when the crown is out

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 20, 2015

On a 2892 based watch like this one, pull the crown out to the hand setting time when the second hand reaches 12 to stop it there. Then move the hands backwards in time for say 20 minutes, then carefully move them forward to line up with the minute when you want to start the watch again. Using a time source somewhere like time.gov, push the crown in right at the minute, and the hands will line up.

Setting to the minute in the clockwise direction will take up the slack in the train and keep the hands in sync on this model. Some watches. like anything based on an ETA 7750, you need to go past the minute you want the watch set for, and move the hands back CCW to where you want to start...

Cheers, Al

6. Watchfan904 Apr 20, 2015

That's the same method I use, on a number of different watches, both autos and quartz. I like the minute hand "registry" to be spot on if possible, and also the second hand as well (mainly on the sweepers).
    You can really tell the difference in quartz gear train quality from watch to watch by watching the second hand registry all the way round the dial. On some quartz watches, the registry actually varies a bit as it goes around. :eek: The good news is (I think), if the sweep second is off consistently - either right or left - all the way round the dial, a good watchmaker can move/adjust the second hand position on the center post so it lines up consistently.
    Being anal about this is a curse I tell ya.