Forums Latest Members
  1. avidmark Mar 13, 2023

Having thoughts about replacing the hands, or more specifically the seconds hand. Not a fan of the color it has faded to. The original is red of course which is nice and I've seen them eventually fade to white. If it had fully faded to white I'd be fine with it but the transition of an ugly orange currently is not esthetically pleasing to me. Replace or keep on a modern diver? 20230313_111820.jpg

2. NikolShep Mar 13, 2023

A common advice you would most likely hear would be "do what you like" - from your post you are saying "an ugly orange currently is not esthetically pleasing to me" - that kind of answers your question - can you live with an "ugly orange" seconds hand? Probably, not. So...

Tekashi_145.022 likes this.
  3. avidmark Mar 13, 2023

Leaning more to replacing. The only thing holding me back is if it will lower the value of the watch by replacing. Not that I'll ever sell it anyway.
    Can a seconds hand be ordered through a watchmaker, or would I have to replace all three hands?

4. Jeyoder84 Mar 13, 2023

how is it keeping time? depening on the age and service history if your thinking of having them replace the hands wouldnt hurt looking into a service either

5. NikolShep Mar 13, 2023

You can always stick to your original seconds hand and include that in the sale package, if it ever comes to that. I am a newbie, but I am pretty sure you do not need to order all hands to replace just the seconds hand. I also suspect you would need a watchmaker with active Omega account (who can order directly from Omega). Or you can try to see if that is available from other sources and then any competent watchmaker should be able to replace that. Probably, this could be time for service, too, as pointed out above. Good luck, post a picture or two when it is done!

6. VickMacky Mar 13, 2023

These are great watches and I love mine but they’re not at a vintage level where a hands change would affect the value negatively. I’m fact, for me, have a recent service and new hands add more value.

i actually may have an extra hand in good shape if you’re interested. Shoot me a PM if so.

Edited Mar 13, 2023
  7. Meme-Dweller Mar 13, 2023

The original is orange. You have a faded orange. Only the LiquidMetal Limited Edition 2500 has the red seconds hand.

It will not lower the value of the watch at all if you replace the handset. That only applies to handsets with tritium lume that patinas to a yellowish color over time. All Planet Oceans use Super-LumiNova.

8. VickMacky Mar 13, 2023

Mine looks pretty red, but maybe it’s just a very dark orange. Just serviced in December with new hands and dial. D952397F-82E0-4C96-8BA7-F20A5548D564.jpeg

9. Tekashi_145.022 Mar 13, 2023

I personally like that aged color a lot. It would only bother me if it was supposed to color coordinate with another part of the watch, and the two colors weren't aging uniformly (eg my Seamaster 300m has a red-tipped seconds hand that matches the dial’s red “Seamaster” signature; at some point, I’ll probably replace the seconds hand if it fades but the red lettering on the dial doesn’t).

But as others have said, it won’t affect its value, so if you’re not enjoying it, there’s really no reason not to swap it out at your next service. I’m guessing it’ll only be in the neighborhood of $35.

10. avidmark Mar 13, 2023

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably end up doing it. For myself, not for resale. This guy is a keeper for me.

NikolShep likes this.
  11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Mar 13, 2023

This looks distinctly orange to me :thumbsup:

noelekal and tjs1295 like this.
  12. Marsimaxam Mar 13, 2023

I love orange... one of my favorite colors.
    231020050033uw.jpg

Geezer, noelekal and NikolShep like this.
  13. sheepdoll Mar 13, 2023

Soylent orange? I am told it has better flavor than Soylent green.

14. dstfno Mar 14, 2023

Omega replaces the hands by default during a service

15. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 14, 2023

I'd leave it if I owned the watch. "Ugly" is a subjective description of that hue of orange, which actually fades from dark to light from tip inward. Enjoy watching the orange tip fade as you make your history with the watch. If you change it out the next second hand will only fade.

Thommas likes this.
  16. galaxytime Mar 14, 2023

I second noelekal.

17. dstfno Mar 14, 2023

They've probably changed the paint they use because from what I've seen the newer hands don't fade anymore