Forums Latest Members
  1. nickioa Jul 19, 2015

Hello everyone,

Long time browser, first time poster! For a while now I've been hankering for a used, mid-size SMP Quartz as I'm in love with the look and design.

I spotted a 1998 model in a reputable shop for £1350 with box and papers in very good condition. As I am most definitely a Lehman when it comes to watches, I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to impart any advice on whether this seems like a fair price or not. Included would be a two year guarantee from the retailer.

They are going for a lot less on eBay, but I am unsure if that is a good indicator of value as it is for other industries.

Many thanks.

IMAG0810.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 19, 2015

Way too much for a quartz bond Seamaster, they're available for half that.

Event horizon, NT931 and nickioa like this.
  3. nickioa Jul 19, 2015

Thank you for pointing that out - lucky I'm not an impulse buyer! Will have to keep my eyes peeled on EvilBay then it seems...

4. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 19, 2015

Better yet, keep your eyes peeled on the sales section on this forum. They come up for sale regularly

nickioa likes this.
  5. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 19, 2015

Or check out the auction section on the forum, which links directly to eBay auctions. There is a Seamaster 300 Quartz on right now. Currently at $810 USD

6. nickioa Jul 19, 2015

Good idea, I'm so new I didn't even realise there was a FS section. Better get my post count up!

7. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 19, 2015

You don't need to get your post count up to buy. Just send a personal message to the seller. The post count only applies, if you want to post a thread yourself

nickioa likes this.
  8. nickioa Jul 19, 2015

Gotcha! Thanks so much for your help everyone.

9. Dombo63 Jul 19, 2015

Don't forget, if you are in UK and that watch is from outside EU, e.g. US or Japan, then we get hit with customs duty and VAT. I had a chat with a lady from HMRC about getting a watch from US costing £1,000 and she said the VAT would be 20%, even for pre-owned.

10. nickioa Jul 19, 2015

Ouch. I'll stick to UK listings in that case.

11. nickioa Jul 20, 2015

A couple have come up on eBay, any thoughts? I would prefer the newer model with the red writing (for purely aesthetic reasons), but it seems to have scratches on the bezel whereas the other older model does not.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281751908191?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271921354379?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2015

Ok, the first of those is more than double what its worth, its a mid-sized (36mm) quartz, demand for them is non existent, its the cheapest of all Bond Seamasters. The second is also the mid-size not full size, and its not quartz, its automatic.

13. watchlovr Jul 20, 2015

20% VAT, plus import duty, plus a "handling fee" for Parcelforce or Fedex or whoever to process the cash and send it to the taxman.
    Usually bang on 25% of the stated value (including shipping cost)

14. nickioa Jul 20, 2015

Thank you for pointing out the fact that the second one has an automatic movement, I missed it!

In my newbie logic, my reasoning for a quartz model is because I would be wearing the watch only once or twice a week at maximum. I was told - perhaps wrongly, I'm starting to suspect - that a movement such as the Co Axial (for example) would need to be worn more often to avoid regular servicing. Is this complete rubbish?

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2015

They need to be serviced about every 5 years or so whether you wear them or not, the oils dry out over time.

nickioa likes this.
  16. nickioa Jul 20, 2015

So I have been somewhat misinformed - it was made out to be a great deal of hassle, which is evidently not the case. With that in mind, I will extend my search to the Co-Axial models. Although less desirable, I feel a mid-size would look better on my wrist!

This listing, which has since ended, looks like it would have been suitable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sea...842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e9d36fe52Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 20, 2015

36mm in a diver is a lot smaller than 36mm in a dress watch, keep that in mind. Its a "boys size" or very small wrist'ed man's size.

18. nickioa Jul 20, 2015

Another fair point - thank you for your input dsio it is much appreciated. With your advice in mind I am now looking at this item which seems a little on the high side, but is in apparently excellent condition: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Sea...c-Co-Axial-Watch-Ceramic-Bezel-/151750572402?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

19. nickioa Jul 20, 2015

After a bit more research, I've found that the watch above is the most recent Seamaster 300m model (2012). One thing I did notice is the following:

"The watch is in outstanding condition, no marks to the glass, bezel or casing. The bracelet and clasp are in excellent condition having recently been polished. The watch comes in its original box (inner and outer) and with its warranty, chronometer and pictogram certificates, and original swing tag."

Should this make any difference to its collectability/current value at all?

20. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 21, 2015

To get an idea of the price range try using www.watchrecon.com . It gathers sale ads from a bunch of sites and watchforums. Try seaching for the reference number 212.30.41.20.03.001 and see what comes up. That should give you an idea on how much these are selling for.

As you will find out, a lot of people don't like their watches to be polished, since it removes some of the factory finish and hence some of the originality of the watch. On the other hand many people don't care about polishing tough and just wants a nice looking piece. It's up to you. Resale value will almost always be lower if a piece is polished compared to a non polished piece.

The price on the one above doesn't look that far off to me. Similar watches have been sold on other forums for around that price. Always get box and paper, it really helps, if you are going to sell the watch again.

nickioa likes this.