Forums Latest Members
  1. drhex May 4, 2019

Just don't turn it over when open (the movement isn't held in by any screws, just the stem) and don't touch the antimagnetic shield with bare fingers as that leaves nasty fingerprints which corrode into the metal over time. Also be careful not to cross thread the back when putting it on again. No rocket science...

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. May 4, 2019

Grow a pair and open it. It's not like you're restoring the Mona Lisa.

3. rbob99 May 4, 2019

+1

madjestikmoose likes this.
  4. Toishome May 4, 2019

Depends on what kind of case ::confused2:: Screw type is the only kind I would try as a novice

77deluxe likes this.
  5. Dan S May 4, 2019

We relive this same thread over and over again with the same dichotomy of opinions, but I sometimes think that people state their opinions too broadly. It's a personal decision based on the confidence level of the OP.

- People who have taken the time to learn how to open cases, and are confident doing so, provide practical advice to the OP about how he can successfully open the case. I'm surprised we haven't had a contribution yet from the hex nut-superglue contingent (this DOES work, BTW). ;)

- People who lack confidence in their own ability to open cases, because they haven't invested in the right tools and/or have not developed the necessary skills, advise the OP not to try.

In the end, the OP decides which group he wants to join ... a personal decision. I can personally vouch for the fact that someone with decent hands-on mechanical skills can learn how to open cases (even very stubborn cases) without causing damage. The skills required for case-opening pale in comparison to real watchmaker skills. I am happy to discuss further by DM, but in my experience, practice is important, but having the correct tools is equally important.

vise.jpg case-wrench.jpg openall.jpg case-holder.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg

Edited May 4, 2019
    michael22, BatDad and 77deluxe like this.
  6. FreelanceWriter May 5, 2019

I've done it a few times (and posted about it). One thing that might or might not be obvious to the OP is that it's a lot safer with the watch stopped than running. I'd never open it while it's running.

7. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl May 5, 2019

Would you open up a friend's chest cavity to check his heart if you weren't a trained surgeon?

8. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 5, 2019

Well there you have it. If you wouldn’t do something that could kill a human being, don’t open a watch.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2019

By having the correct tool I assume you mean this
    [​IMG]

10. seber May 5, 2019

If the movement has no tabs and is held in place only by the back, it probably is not running as the movement will be rattling back and forth in the case.

11. Vicke May 5, 2019

Speedy movments are held in place buy the edges of the antimagnetic shield when the back is screwed on. When the back is off and the shield is taken out, the movement is loose.

12. 77deluxe May 5, 2019

I don’t really understand all the reluctance to unscrew something, or the comparisons to surgery. If you feel comfortable with opening it, you have the correct tools, and you have a clean and dry place to do it, great. If the case back feels extremely hard to unscrew, like it might be rusted shut, stop and hit the caseback with a blowtorch for a quick second (this is a joke. Take it to a watchmaker) If you don’t feel comfortable doing this, great too.

M'Bob, Mark020 and Dan S like this.
  13. FlyingSnoopy May 5, 2019

If you have to ask then probably no...
    Cheers

blufinz52 and BatDad like this.
  14. AdInfinitum May 5, 2019

While caseback opening isn't exactly haute horlogerie or rocket surgery, I have never opened casebacks in my personal collection out of concerns about dust entering the movement and affecting lubrication...

Do savvy OF users typically open their watches outside / by a range hood or some kind of ventilation apparatus? (That is, the folks without routine access to ORs, fume hoods or ISO-5+ cleanrooms!)

Then again, to put things in perspective there used to be a cottage industry of Swiss watchmakers "who turned to the workbench when they had finished with the cows" (Blancpain Lettres du Brassus Issue 3), certainly no HEPA filters back then...
    Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 4.19.42 PM.png

15. timoss May 5, 2019

Well I took a stab at it with a less valuable watch and, voila, easily done. However, I don't have the movement holder yet and three other watches I have with screw backs are too tight to attempt without a solid base. I have ordered a base and will give them a shot when it arrives.

Thanks all for the good advice. I think the consensus is correct: it comes down to your comfort level and, to an extent, your tolerance for risk. I will *try* not to push things too far if the cases are tough but sometimes I can't stop myself...

AdInfinitum, Dan S and BatDad like this.
  16. 77deluxe May 5, 2019

Good work!

17. robinhook May 6, 2019

I’d rather practicing on an SKX until I get the hang of it....

77deluxe likes this.
  18. michael22 May 6, 2019

I once spent 3 days opening a stuck case with a rubber ball. It had become a subconscious habit as I sat in front of the TV. Shocked the hell out of me when it started turning.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 6, 2019

This guy does all my case back opening

82F7A52B-AC20-49DF-A8DD-DA0914836762.jpeg

WYO_Watch and BatDad like this.
  20. M'Bob May 7, 2019

Depends on the country you live in...

madjestikmoose likes this.