Forums Latest Members
  1. Teunan87 Mar 12, 2020

Hi all,

I have a vintage Speedmaster with reference 145.012-67. Last year some minor black spots developed on the lume plots. Especially at the 4 o'clock marker. The pushers and crown are replaced in 2016 and as far as I know the watch is sealed as much as it can be. Is there anything I can or should do to prevent the lume from getting more black spots?

Please find attached an image

Best regards,
    Teun

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-08 at 23.13.23.jpeg
    Alfonso82 likes this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 12, 2020

If your watch is watertight (so case, crown and pushers were tested for WR at service when crown and pushers were exchanged), I don’t think much can be done. If not and you are not sure, then when storing (assuming you rotate watches, and there are times when this one lies dormant for a long time) you could keep it in a airtight(ziplock) bag along with silica gel pads to absorb moisture. Preferably those that change color as they become saturated. I would not do anything to the lume itself.

OMEGuy and Teunan87 like this.
  3. Lazy_Lightning Mar 12, 2020

The lume doesn't look bad at all, I wouldn't change a thing.

You've got a very nice watch, enjoy it.

0uss, befobe and Passover like this.
  4. lpestre Mar 14, 2020

Bring it to your watchmaker for testing and you will know if it's still watertight. Other than that, you can't do much more.

5. OMEGuy Mar 14, 2020

Enjoy! :)

6. JanV Mar 14, 2020

I would check where i store the watches, are you storing them in closed non ventilated boxes like Pelican cases or similar? Or is the box or storage area exposed to sunlight that could heat up the case or area every day with little ventilation?

7. befobe Mar 14, 2020

Nice dial, very nice bezel... Mine had the same nice features but really bad lume (almost disappear, in fine powder...), so I got it relumed. but yours seems really fine to me... I won't change anything... maybe find a nice 1116 or 1039 to make it a little more attractive ?... (I love steel bracelets... but I respect vintage leather ones...)!