Forums Latest Members

Should I buy the new Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th?

1. SigurdSchbeider Sep 2, 2019

3E0276C6-D15F-4E04-A4CC-E3DA19117B75.jpeg My local Omega dealer have been abel to get hold on one of these.
    I think it is beautiful, but quite expensive.
    What do you guys think? Overpriced or a future classic?

2. Bp1000 Sep 2, 2019

It is expensive

The money has gone into the new movement

And also the flashes of gold

Nobody can give you a concrete answer. But in my opinion, at the very worst, you take 7,400 GBP (or whatever currency you have) give it to omega and at any point you will receive exactly the same amount back when you sell it.

Obviously there are people out there that will rightly advise you there are better uses for your money.

Also if you need that money for otherwise much more important things you shouldn’t buy it.

Only you can decide. Buy it if you love it.

There is a current mild frenzy for this watch. So you are lucky to get one. There is plenty for sale on chrono24, traditionally the prices will fall after 12 months, but like speedy Tuesday watches I have a feeling they will trade above rrp forever after

3. SigurdSchbeider Sep 2, 2019

Thank you so much for your answer, Bp1000!
    I have read some of the other posts now, and the rewievs.
    A really interesting watch for the collection!

4. rominvicta Sep 2, 2019

If you ask then it means you better get something else!

5. Evitzee Sep 2, 2019

No one can tell you whether to buy it or not; do YOU like it?, have the money?, almost all luxury items are overpriced, check back in 15 or 20 years and we'll know whether it is a classic or not.

6. Lugduno Sep 2, 2019

I'd repeat what the previous user wrote, it's hard to tell someone else what they would do with their money.

The new movement is cool, and a great upgrade for the Speedmaster line. You get all that "new" technology in an older base movement that has proven to be really tough throughout the years. On a personal note, I like the touches of gold and think they really help the watch stand out. At the same time I'm not that convinced about Neil Armstrong stepping out of the Eagle or the backside of the watch.

I have a bit of a different taste and "priority list" of what watches I would like to own in the future. So only speaking from my own perspective, I would not buy the Apollo 11 50th Anniversary at this moment. With that said, I'd love to have one in the future! I'm a bit jealous of you getting to try it on the wrist though, there's no way I can get away from that...

Whatever you decide at the end of the day: best of luck and I hope you do the "right" descision whatever it may be!

SigurdSchbeider likes this.
  7. Bp1000 Sep 2, 2019

I must add I very nearly didn’t get one of these

But since getting the call and going to see it I went for it.

I don’t know why I nearly didn’t go for it. I had seen it at an event and thought it was stunning in person. But still when it came to the crunch I wasn’t sure until I saw it again.

After just an hour on the wrist since payment it became my fav speedmaster. I wouldn’t be without the classic moonwatch nor would I other variants I have but this is different from all of those and has a warmth and pretty special feel and charm.

rafabond likes this.
  8. SigurdSchbeider Sep 2, 2019

Without having seen it in real life, I must say I love it.
    The C24 prises now is not an option, so I see this AS a chance to get it!
    Good to hear that you are so happy.
    I agree that this amount of money can be seen as «overpriced», but if it doesn’t drop very much under rp I am pleased!

9. EricCsN Sep 2, 2019

No one can tell what it will do for you. But consider this if you do decide it speaks to you- it is no ordinary speedmaster, it is arguably what omega and nasa are all about all this while - landing on another world. Not merely just a prized trophy or linkage with Apollo and Nasa.
    This is marking and celebrating the 50th anniversary of one of the most famous event in the history of Mankind ever: That alone is a worthwhile historical homage. It can also be of some worth to serve as a small family heirloom treasure to keep and pass on down to your children and their children and so on. And anyway you are likely wearing it for free since prices are unlikely to go below what you purchased should you decide to sell it when you no longer want to keep it. BTW you are very very lucky that your dealer has one with him, it may be gone sooner than you decide

Edited Sep 3, 2019
  10. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Sep 2, 2019

Because you had to ask this question. Pass on it. If you loved it. Your thread would have started out with. Soo excited. Just picked up this beauty. As an example. My opinion. Good luck.

YY77 and padders like this.
  11. SigurdSchbeider Sep 3, 2019

Thank you so much for your answer!
    Good points!

12. CaptDngr Sep 4, 2019

I still don't understand why. 6969 total pieces is hardly limited.

But hey, it is what it is. :)

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 4, 2019

Overpriced and weird sub-dial but I like the markers a lot.

You asked ;)

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Sep 4, 2019

Did you ask should you buy it or would I? I can only answer the latter with any certainty. To me it’s more modern CK2998 than Snoopy. That is to say very nice in isolation but ultimately not as desirable as some would have you believe. Never buy something like this purely as an investment, sanity check if you like it first. I don’t, you may do. Several on here have professed undying love then flipped it immediately so there may be money to be made for now but there will always be another along and maybe you won’t need to think twice over the next. I don’t see this being talked about in 3 years, just like the CK2998 and any number is other LEs that didn’t fly in fact. I also don’t think it will sit at above RRP for ever, particularly when desperate C24 sellers start chasing the bottom as deliveries continue for months to come but I guess time will tell.

But what do I know?

Edited Sep 4, 2019
  15. stuart70 Sep 4, 2019

I tend to agree with this. There were several things that did not do it for me. The new movement is far removed from the 861/1861 it makes it not have the original dna.

Buying the classic .005 would mean that you have a watch that was actually used in space and can we worn on a day to day basis. With the change you could get a sapphire sandwich for high days.

But the best advice if it does not ‘sing’ to you then it is probably not the watch for you.
    Everyone will have an opinion.

16. OmegaBHR Sep 4, 2019

Its my first post here and I just got this watch, FYI it is my first real watch and I am planning to end up with a modest collection overtime, loving the Speedmaster and Grand Seiko's at the moment, probably a GMT snowflake next or Apollo 13th 50th, will see. Anyways, I was in the same predicament a few weeks ago, I thought about it for a long time and I came to the conclusion that the regular speed master will most likely always be available new or surely available as used in good abundance, so I will get one definitely at a later stage as it is a must in my mind. To me the 50th is a big milestone for the first man moon landing as I am a huge fan of NASA and space exploration etc, the next big one is the 100th and not sure I will be around for that one. I loved how the 50th looked in the pics, so I said if I wear it and im in love with it then I will buy it and I did. The AD took my deposit on the 50th to secure it for me, and I told him if I don't like it I will buy something else like the standard moonwatch and he agreed. Holding value was not a huge priority as I don't think I will ever sell it or any of my other watches that I will be getting, well thats the plan anyways :)

If you like the watch and don't plan on selling it like me then get it.

Edited Sep 4, 2019
  17. SigurdSchbeider Sep 4, 2019

In many ways the same AS I feel. I really like the watch, and it is different from my old speedy and my speedy tuesday.
    I plan to keep them all, and pass them on to next generation.
    The price on chrono is now too high for my budget and value of the watch I think.
    I now I will regret not buying if the alternative is to pay this money for it.
    But I also see the discussion around that it is too fare from the moonwatch.
    Thank you for your answer, and gratulation on your watch!

18. SigurdSchbeider Sep 4, 2019

Thank you! Both! If you like it and would buy!

19. SigurdSchbeider Sep 5, 2019

20. Evitzee Sep 5, 2019